Does anyone use "Artists Fixative" on finished models?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Rangerdog, Feb 20, 2010.

  1. Rangerdog

    Rangerdog New Member

    I ran across something interesting in the local arts and crafts store. It's a spray by Grumbacher called "Artists Fixative". It's meant to protect charcoal drawings / art from smudging.

    Has anyone used this successfully on finished card models to help preserve them?


  2. Elliott

    Elliott Senior Member

    In the blue bar labeled User CP, FAQ, etc., click on "Search". Do a thread search for "artists fixative". The threads returned should be of help to you.
  3. Rangerdog

    Rangerdog New Member

    Thanks, will check.
  4. reklein

    reklein Member

    I use any type of fixative on the paper sheets before I build. It seems to make the paper more "plastic",the colors don't run from glues or dampening to get shape,and the paper stays cleaner as you build. Maybe you do the same,you're just looking to spray an already finished model. I actually use Krylon brand fixative,as its the most available here.. BILL
  5. tglenchur

    tglenchur Member

    Fixatives for Preservation and Conservation of Paper Models

    Fixatives can help in paper model preservation

    Fixatives were used in the past to bind art media, e.g. pastel to paper, together to prevent smearing. As new binder materials developed, the idea of preventing water soluble color migration in water colors on paper became more common. Water-soluble inkjet inks can migrate in high humidity. Keep the model dry; some modelers use a desiccant as insurance in humid climates.

    Lacquers, polyurethanes and acrylics will all work but over time some of these binders will yellow in light. Acrylic products that do not yellow typically make that claim on the product container or technical literature. If preventing color change is important, be sure to check for non-yellowing performance.

    If the paper is not acid-free, un-neutralized residual acids from manufacturing the paper will attack the paper, e.g. old newspaper clippings, and break it down. There are acid neutralizers, such as Krylon Make It Acid-Free!, that can be applied to paper. Usually acid-free papers will make an acid-free or archival claim on the package.

    Lately, ultra-violet protective fixatives have been introduced. University of Texas posted a 2008 review of three products, "The Characterization of Three UV-Inhibiting Fixatives Used for Works of Art on Paper." ( ) and found them wanting. One product containing zinc oxide might even react with near-UV light and water to speed up paper deterioration. At least one product has an independent lab declaration that the product does help protect against fading for light exposures under 450 foot candles intensity. Ordinary glass filters out about 70% of UV. Some acrylic plastics do even better. There are glass coatings that increase transparent case filtering effectiveness to 99% to 99.5%.

    I find little fading by keeping models in an air conditioned room out of bright light. But if you want insurance, then fixative is an inexpensive measure, @ $4 to $20 for an aerosol spray. Glass or plastic cases provide improved protection.
  6. reklein

    reklein Member

    Thanks, its always nice to know the technical stuff. I did'nt realize that it could also be UV protective,I mostly just use it for the reasons in my previous post and for keeping charcoal and pastels from wearing off the paper,back in my drawing school days. BILL
  7. AbsoluteSciFi

    AbsoluteSciFi New Member

    This fixative is most likely a variant of Krylon's Acrylic Crystal Clear coating, which as anyone who has been to art school knows, is much cheaper in the hardware store than in a artist supply store, read the product number and go to the hardware store- the active ingredients are nearly identical to the generic version, and you save about 3-4 dollars. Workable fixatives are nothing but hairspray- and when Final Net stopped making the aerosol version of their product (for EPA regulations)- artists around the world went insane. This product, (Final Net Hairspray) does nothing for the paper- but is more like a thinner version of acrylic coating. Krylon's Crystal Clear is an acrylic coating, and does transform the paper if a thick coating is applied, it soaks into the paper surface and "plasticizes" the paper. Artist use it as a coating between acrylic layers of paint, to both protect and give a translucent quality to their work, you can also use it to protect your printouts on photo paper- but it will dull a regular matte finish paper, "plasticizing" it; darkening any printed out on it to the point that it is ugly.

    I always put Krylon's on my photo prints before anything else, it both protects the inkjet print from running if it gets wet, and protects from UV. I put two to three coats on, thinly misting it the first time and layering it on thicker for the final coat.
  8. RickTNRebel

    RickTNRebel New Member

    Depending on the effect I want (practice on some scrap pieces you've printed), I use SEVERAL types of fixatives. Either from the KRYLON rattle cans, an airbrush, an atomizer or brushed on. I sometimes do a light spray to fix the inks (unless I WANT them to run together slightly) and once that dries, I brush on an acrylic finish (I use Minwax but most modelers use "future") of the sheen or gloss I'm looking for. I may do only one or both can change the look and working properties of your paper/card with these finishes.

Share This Page