Does anyone play Microsoft Train Simulator?

old goat

I'm having problems with this game. It worked fine on my Win. 98 but now I have 2000 and I can't get it to work. I get a message telling me that it requires Hardware Acceleration. Where and how do I get this? Thanks for your time and have a good day.

Zman

When I switched from 98 to XP I had to reinstall some of my software so that the new system could configure it. It might be worth a try, anyway.

Livesteam

I have it and havent used it in awhile but it wont let me run in the snow, and says please contact microsoft, i do wish it had a little better graphics and more engines and cars.

Iron Goat

I have the Train Sim, and the Train Sim Add-On (the SandPatch...) and operate them both on my 'puter (XP).... without any problems. I have to go along with Zman... I think I would unistall, and then re-install the program. I hope you get it up and running, as it is a fun program.... especially "SandPatch" !!! :thumb:

Bob

babydot94513

Member in training
I would go with this as well. I had TS installed on an old compter running on 98SE without any problems and then I converted to XP and reinstalled and have not had any problems. I have heard of some that had issues with the SP-2 release and once uninstalled TS and reinstalled all worked fine.

If all else fails reinstalling and re-booting works 99% of the time<g>

JD

Iron Goat said:
I have the Train Sim, and the Train Sim Add-On (the SandPatch...) and operate them both on my 'puter (XP).... without any problems. I have to go along with Zman... I think I would unistall, and then re-install the program. I hope you get it up and running, as it is a fun program.... especially "SandPatch" !!! :thumb:

Bob

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Welcome to the Gauge oldgoat.
I used to run the MS train simulator on my old PC which used windows 98. My new PC uses windows XP. I installed a new graphics accelerator board, an ATI Radeon 9800 PRO I then installed MS train sim and it runs fine. From the messages you are getting
OG it sounds like you don't have a good graphics card. Do you know what is installed on your PC?
I got the graphics board at Best Buy

Iron Goat

Livesteam said:
They have add on packs now for it?

Livesteam: Yes, and I think that they have one other add-on program available at this time..... I believe it is called "NIAGARA CORRIDOR".

The one I have is titled SANDPATCH Microsoft Train Sim Add-On, and the engine cabs used in it are based on the standard GE/EMD cab console, and their operation's are the same as those on the original TRAIN SIM's GP-38 (with a few minor changes...). It is based on a depiction of mid-1980's operation on the former B&O in the Allegheny Mts. region. Operational variation's include the B&O, C&O,Chessie System, and Western Maryland.

For info, try: www.strategyfirst.com ( or ) www.mapleleaftracks.com

It is a darn good program....

Bob :thumb:

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
I am having trouble with mine. It worked fine for about 2 weeks and then something happened and it will not load up anymore. There are programs that we needed on our computer and i think that has something to do with it.

Iron Goat

I still think it might be worth the time, to uninstall and then re-install. I had a problem with mine, and that did the trick....

Bob

Sempak

Did you upgrade from 98 to 2000 or do a fresh install? It's possible that you have not installed the correct drivers for your graphics card, if you tell me the manufacturer I can tell you where to find them. When your computer is starting check for words such as nVidia or ATI.

Windows 2000 is in theory a "Professional" operating system, designed for office environments rather than games. Is there any particular reason you chose to upgrade, if you have software that won't run on 98 and your hardware is powerful enough then XP Home is a better option.

If you think that Train Simulator is stuck with only the original product or the commercial add ons....you are REALLY missing out.

Take a trip to www.train-sim.com and go to the download library. The amount of stuff available is MASSIVE. You can find narrow gauge, Australian, European and a huge amount of north american railroad equipment and routes. Some of the routes are extremely realistic. The Rio Grande Southern is a great narrow gauge example. The track is done according to the real right of way. Conrail Indy is another example. I live in that area so I am very familiar with it. Bruce, the guy who made the route, used Terra Server to put in the detail. The things you see from the track are there in real life. Indianapolis is complete with Union Station and a correct skyline. A lot of great routes are available.
There are also a couple of virtual railroads. I belong to the Ohio Valley System. You can find them at http://www.or4c.com/OVSTS/.

I would also suggest reloading. As good as it is, the product is from Microsoft which means lots and lots of bugs.

spitfire

I would love to play Train Sim but they haven't ported it over to the Mac platform. :cry: Some of Microsoft's games can be played on the XBox, which I have, but I haven't heard if this is possible with Train Sim. Does anyone know?

(Sorry if this is a little off topic)

Val

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Had a problem with loading mine in.. The video card didn't support the game.. I had to keep MSTS on my laptop (Win XP home) because it has a dvd player & the video card is perfect....

Just something else to think about

RailRon

When I changed computer I also changed from Windows 98SE to XP home. I installed the MSTS on the new machine, and didn't have any problems - like others said before. Now with 3 GHz and a NVidia Geforce card it's like watching TV.

Old Goat, you mentioned hardware acceleration. I don't know Win 2000, but I think you have installed Direct-X, a program which allows to use the acceleration features of your graphics card. Perhaps it helps when you get the newest version. You can download it from Microsoft

Unfortunately MSTS will not be developped further. Only a patch was released, updating MSTS to version 1.2. Period. I heard that Microsoft dropped all plans for a version 2. And I already hoped that finally the sound would be improved. This is by far the lousiest part of the whole package - the steam sounds are outright silly. When you are going 30 mph there are about four chuffs per second - absolutely no synchronisation with the wheel revolution. Yeecchh! :( :mad:

Livesteam, you can BUY lots of addiditional routes from many software firms, e.g. 3D Train Stuff . They offer the Cajon Pass, Tehachapi and now also the Donner Pass route, together with lots of engines and rolling stock.
But even better is, that through the web you can get tons of routes, rolling stock and even utilities FOR FREE. Wabash Banks already mentioned Train-Sim.com, but you'll find dozens of download places around the world. A few jewels I got are the RGS line from Ridgway to Rico, then the whole Durango - Silverton and the Cumbres & Toltec line, including K-27s, K-37s, galloping Geese and whatnot else. The mentioned Ohio River system is fantastic, too, as well as the Rollins Pass route with Moffat tunnel as well as the old line oover the pass. Of course, being a Swiss, I downloaded routes through the Alps: Gotthard Line, Rhaetian Railways, Austrian Semmering Line etc. etc.)

You could spend weeks at the computer, running all the available lines. Just take care that you still reserve a few minutes for other things like talking to people, eating, sleeping and - of course - model railroading! :D :D :D

Ron