Does anyone know anything about this loco?

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by vanda32547, Oct 6, 2004.

1. vanda32547

vanda32547 Member

2. SteamerFan

SteamerFan Member

Hmm..looks pretty toyish. that being said, it has plastic wheels on the tender, so the motor is in the engine itself. this means you can put a decoder in the tender and run the leads from the motor to the decoder in the tender, then run the leads back to the motor. as it has an operating light, you'll also have to run the 2 leads for that back to the tender to thr decoder.

It can be done but will take some work.
  3. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

And certainly not transistion era! BTW, what make are the locos you mentioned in another thread you will be selling? Perhaps they will accept decoders.
  4. vanda32547

vanda32547 Member

Yes I thought it looked toyish as well, but I have some older looking short Denver & Rio Grand passenger cars that would go with it quite nicely. I guess I will pass on it and try to find a real HO scale 4-6-2 that I can put a decoder in to go with the passenger cars I have.

Thanks for the input,
  5. vanda32547

vanda32547 Member

They are Athern Southern Pacific engines. I have a couple of different styles but too modern for my new layout.

6. Gary Pfeil

Gary Pfeil Active Member

Oh. If they are too modern then go ahead and sell them. I was thinking from prior posts that you had locos which wouldn't operate with DCC, your Athearns are pretty easy to convert, and worthwhile.

7. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I dunno, I'm just ornary enough to put a decoder in it and run it on the club layout... ;)
  8. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

I think they took an 0-4-0 switcher with a slope back tender, and hung a balloon stack and old time "cow catcher" on it, and changed the tender to make it look like an old timer.