does anyone ever meet up?

ding chavez

Jan 17, 2006
Philadelphia, Pa
the internet is a very useful tool for all hobbies, including model railroading. when i actually can start making one of my own, would anyone (if there is anyone) in my area be willing to hang out sometimes and give me a little help? ya know, with ideas, painting stuff, most efficent ways to make stuff, things like that? im an artist but i dont know how to do a good bit of what i see on your layouts and id be thrilled if i could ever make mine look like alot of yours do. and obviously id be indebted to someone who did and they could call on me for advice/help whenever they needed it. on second thought i guess i could join a club around here, is that what you guys do? i just like the hobby alot and would like to find other people near me who do also. "train buddies" if you will.

reading books on how to do things are kinda boring ya know? its more fun and much easier to learn and understand to have someone show you in person.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Ding,

I would guess that a good number of us do belong to "brick and mortar" clubs, so to speak, but there are still those that like the lone wolf approach.

If you are looking for a club in your area, the NMRA (www.nmra.org) has a club listing (I believe it is international in scope). You should be able to start there. I found the clubs in my area just by asking at the local train shop.

Andrew

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Ding,I learned 90% of the hobby through trial and error experience which I found to be the best teacher after its all said and done..Why you may wonder is because you learn FIRST hand what will and will not work.

N

nachoman

i'd love to hang out and share a few beers, but pennyslvania is not a place I make it too often. :)

kevin

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Ding

I have met up with a few fellow Gaugers. NGauger and I spent one morning rail fanning. We keep trying to meet up at various local shows but my schedule keeps interfering.

I notice you are in Philly. Well I am just west of you in Delaware County. Are you planning on going to the NRMA Convention in Philadelphia in July? Several of us are trying to arrange a meeting.

If you want to try to arrange something PM me and we’ll see what we can do.

ding chavez

Jan 17, 2006
Philadelphia, Pa
yeah id like to go to the nmra meeting. i was a member years ago, when i actually had a little layout. ill be in touch with you guys.

and there will be layouts and things there of course right?

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
ding chavez said:
yeah id like to go to the nmra meeting. i was a member years ago, when i actually had a little layout. ill be in touch with you guys.

and there will be layouts and things there of course right?
:D :D Yeah - go to that link & look around - theres tons of stuff to do all week,, then Saturday & Sunday the 8 & 9th it's open to the public :)

hooknlad

Mar 28, 2005
Woodbridge, NJ USA
Hi all, I live in Woodbridge NJ - Central NJ, Middlesex County, and i have alot of room and supplies to build a serious railroad- If anyone local to me would like to assist and share any spare time on this railroad empire, Id welcome the help.

Michael

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Whenever I'm working at a show I plug it on the Gauge and invite people to say hello.
At the bigger shows, I usually find Interurban and Tingoat doing their things.
(Next one for me is the Great British Train Show in Brampton, April 29 and 30.)

jimmybeersa

May 14, 2001
Alberton . South Africa
announce1 Hey Woodie.... I also live 12000 miles away and have been fortunate to have met about 12 Gauge members, of course Robin was a friend of mine and that in itself was more than anyone could have hoped for. Being able to have time with someone who has the same interests is great
In South Africa I belong to two groups, Live Steam every 1st Sunday of the month and a group of modelers (54 of us at last count) who meet once a month, who call themselves THE" SAG 's" (Saturday Afternoon Group) for workshops or swop meets and visits to layouts we have been invited to
When you are a retired 75 year old what could be better, gets me from under the old girls feet Lifes a JOY :thumb: :thumb: :) :) sign1 sign1

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Papa Bear is always there at shows to keep my head from getting too big :thumb: and I run into members of other forums as well. I'd love an excuse to head back up north---these 75 degree Floriduh winters get hard to deal with sometimes :D ;)