Does anybody has a sextant or an octant?

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Loco-S, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Loco-S

Loco-S New Member

Im quite interested to practice a little of celestial navigation ( I haven't touched that stuff since the early 90's) and real sextants can reach exorbitant prices, can anybody guide me on to where to find a card model of such an artifact? besides, it would be a great piece of conversation once is over my desk at work...

just let me know if somebody know where to get or buy one.

NULLMOON Member

i know theres a sextent in card i saw it in the book section of a garden center called brooksides shop a few weeks ago i forget the name it was a childrens book a dont rember the name but theres a picture of a sailing ship on the cover i assure you its out there there may have been one with the old qeust magasines too but hell if i can remember back that far i think greenwich museum or a few other simalar places would stock such a thing there gift shops

NULLMOON Member

4. Al hazlet

Al hazlet Member

Look for a book called "Latitude Hooks and Azimuth Rings" by Dennis Fisher, it includes complete instructions and a parts list for building an octant.
  5. PID

PID New Member

6. Bernhard

Bernhard Member

If your main goal is to get a cheap, usable practice sextant rather than building one from card, then check out this website:
    CD-Sextant - Build your own sextant

7. Zathros

Zathros Guest

@Bernhard, great link. I have all those parts already!!