Does anybody else have problems with this forum locking up your computer?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I have found that I can view at most 2 or 3 threads on the Zealot, and then I get "Internet Explorer not responding" and end up having to close my browser and go back on line again. I regularly participate on 6 automotive bulletin boards and The Gauge section of the Zealot. The only one I have any problems with is the Zealot Hobby Forum. I'm running Windows HP, and the latest edition of Internet Explorer. The problem has gotten so bad that I only check in on the Gauge every 3rd day or so. I may just delete it from my bookmarks and stick with fast cars. I still enjoy model railroading and am active in a modular club, but the bugs in this forum are making participation here about as much fun as a layout with bad track.

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
I have the same problem with IE on just about any forum. This one actually gives me fewer problems becuase the posts I make are shorter, suggesting it might be a time fuinction, since IE is linked to Google.

Krawler

Mar 14, 2007
Russ,

Been using it 3 years now I believe I won't use any other browser. It will extract your bookmarks during set up so no worries about all those bookmarks. When you are connected to the net and have it open it looks and updates itself. It has a built in google search bar, which with add ons can also search web md to amazon to wikipedia. And it also has a weather bug add on which displays your current weather on the bottom corner of the browser.

We bought this laptop I used IE long enough to download firefox.*L*

Krawler

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Russ,

Sometimes it helps to clean out your cache and your cookies, especially when you find that most others are not having this problem.

Like may others here, I've used Firefox and Mozilla for years and wouldn't trade even if Billy G. said he'd pay me to do so.:p :p

rogerw

Jun 16, 2006
manhattan ks
Im also using fire fox for 3 or so years no problems. Now as far as billy G giving money that would depend on how much we are talking about Don.

iis612

Dec 26, 2006
Chicago Burbs
I have the same problem. Mine locks up here alot. I clear my cache at least every 3 days. I do not have the same problem on other forums.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
I had the same problem a couple of months ago. I brought this up in the mods forum, thinking it was the animated ads. It wasn't. I deleted cookies, emptied temporary files, everything. I was really getting aggravated, and was thinking of leaving.
Then Don hooked me up with firefox. I haven't had a problem since.
Oh yeah, it was only happening here also. Not on any other of my favorite sites.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I was having the same problem with IE, but only on this Forum. I use Mozilla/Firefox here, and IE elsewhere, now, and everything seems fine. ;):-D:-D

Wayne

Oracle_9

Feb 19, 2008
Toronto, CANADA
Dont be scared to use Firefox only here, use it everything and forget IE. Virus/hackers focus on IE more because lots of people use it, and the software is not well written. Firefox is more secure and overall better.

chooch.42

Jan 23, 2007
Gibsonia, Pa.
Russ and All, have been having major slowdowns and lockups since November - but ONLY on Zealot wall1 ...and I visit other forums which use V.bulletin (eg. Trainboard), without these problems. Never had issues prior to Nov. with same computer/OS/Browser on Zealot. Reported to Admin via Google Group when it started, thought it was Ads, followed admin's advice, still trouble. Why only on Zealot - NOWHERE else. I keep coming back...but not as often as I'd like. Feel it's not MY problem - may try another browser, but shouldn't have to. :cry: Bob C.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Russ and All, have been having major slowdowns and lockups since November - but ONLY on Zealot wall1 ...and I visit other forums which use V.bulletin (eg. Trainboard), without these problems. Never had issues prior to Nov. with same computer/OS/Browser on Zealot. Reported to Admin via Google Group when it started, thought it was Ads, followed admin's advice, still trouble. Why only on Zealot - NOWHERE else. I keep coming back...but not as often as I'd like. Feel it's not MY problem - may try another browser, but shouldn't have to. :cry: Bob C.
Sorry that you and a few others are having problems. We've discussed this with Peter Davis, the owner of Zealot and any solutions are in his capable hands. There has to be some commonality between those that are having problems, but we haven't figured it out yet. In the meantime, we have found a workaround, Firefox. Changing to it has helped those that tired it. Not only that, but it is recommended as a more secure browser than IE, although when I did some recent testing here, I could not get IE to lock up either. Hence my comment about commonality, but not for everyone that uses IE. Still, I use Firefox for all my browsing and only use IE on a few sites that some features won't work in any other browser. Firefox had features years ago that IE 7 is just now getting, and like IE, the price is right.

nkp174

Oct 10, 2006
Cincinnati, O.
You can probably here me make a GRR sound whenever I get stuck at a computer without Firefox. That being said, the difference between the two is no longer the Grand Canyon, as IE has been upgraded to include some of Firefox's features.

CJTK1701

Banned
Dec 12, 2006
Another FireFox user here. "Out of the mouths of two, or more, let the word be established."