Do you score?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by thewoodengraver, Oct 31, 2006.

1. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

Now c'mon...I don't mean THAT!
    Do you score your models?

I don't. Except in rare instances. I think I have scored 7 of the near 100 I have built. And they weren't even really scored. I took a large canvas needle which has a pointy-yet-smooth tip and ran the line with it. This creates a groove which can be easily folded.

I always just use me straight edge and fold the parts at the score line. I have to be careful to fold EXACTLY on the line or serious fit problems arise. This technique takes some practice but I find it alot easier than scoring.

I admit, scoring takes practice and I cannot do it well yet. BUT, scoring also weakens the part, and I do not like this.

So, please let me know what method/s you use to "score".
  2. Kaz

Kaz Member

I score, everytime I can, my folding leaves a lot to be desired. The tool I use is a 'burnisher' found one in a card shop, something to do with making paint shiney... or something... I also found one in a cake shop. It marks icing
  3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I score everything with one of those fiskars embossers from Wal-mart. It works swell :) No way I could get a straight fold without that dent!

Are you differentiating scoring with an exacto blade really light cut to scoring by making a dent with a blunt instrument of some kind? I think they are both scoring. Just making sure :)
  4. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

For a moment there I thought I ended up on completely different forum :grin:

I always score the fold lines, but I always do it on the unprinted side of the part. This prevents damaging the paint and exposing paper underneath.
    I use the dull xacto blade but I just orderd dentsit's tool set that includes something looking like a tiny knife. Don't know how it will work yet....
  5. rickstef

rickstef Guest

6. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

That's the thing!
  7. barry

barry Active Member

I turn a #11 scalpel upside down and use the back to score, if it's a very small part a light cut with the blade the right way round.
  8. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yes I do.:grin:
    I do not score some extremely small parts, though.

Here is where some misunderstanding can arise. When I first started paper modeling there was talk about always scoring the fold lines. But it seemed to be of the kind where you take a dulled blade and lightly cut the paper surface. Then people always talked about being sure to color in the exposed white paper that showed through. I had always just used a blunt instrument and made a shallow groove along the score line. No damage to the printed surface or the reverse surface when reverse scoring. The coloring I did (and still do) was along the exposed cut edge after the part had been cut from the page.

As for the folds, I use a dull utility knife blade as a guidefor the short stuff. Place the edge of the blade along the score line and fold. For the extremely small parts the edge of the blade is placed along the indicated fold line. For long folds I use a metal ruler and usually the straight edge of a desk. Sometimes two metal rulers are employed with the part to be folded held between the two rulers, lined up along the fold.:)
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

does carl have a folding tutorial yet? hint hint ;)
  10. shrike

shrike Guest

I usually use a well polished fine tipped burnisher and make a "groove". The crushed fibres seem to take care of any bending allowance such as would be required in sheet metal work. I also work on the printed side, and asmy burnisher doesn't hurt the surface of the paper, and I don't have to try to transfer points to the other side. I've found that it doen't really seem to matter otehrwise.

If you mean score as in "cut about halfway throught" , then very rarely. I've found that if it absolutle, positively has to have a square corner - like a small box f'rinstance, then I'm better off cutting it into seperate sides and gluing them back together.
  11. FredZ KSAC

FredZ KSAC Member

As I am conservative with my equipment [too lazy to look for something different] :) I use the back of the points of the sharp pointed tweezers that I always have right in front of me.

Fred Z
  12. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Sometimes I score, but I use the fold over a straight edge method quite a bit too. I find it works quite well if you have a good quality steel ruler.
  13. sforbes

sforbes New Member

I haven't tried scoring, guess that makes me a virgin :twisted: ! I use a nail file to make my folds and it works pretty well for most parts. The only part that drives me crazy is when I have to bend the part back the other way and it creates a crease because it is a thick part.

A guess another question would be if you also make your edges sharper by dragging across the fold at a 90 degree angle?

14. Jim Nunn

Jim Nunn Member

I score all everything I can as well as all of the bend lines on my models.

For scoring I use a modified #11 blade. I round the tip with an Arkansas stone so that the tip has a 1 to 1.5 mm radius when viewed from the side. I then use the stone to dull the blade by rounding the edge of the blade. When I’m finished the blade will not cut paper unless you apply a lot of force. This allows me to make nice fine crease lines and get good sharp bends. Basically you need to break the paper fibers at the bend to get a sharp crease otherwise the paper will want to return to its original shape.

Jim Nunn
  15. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

He Scores!

I use the same method... I score with a dulled X-Acto blade. I have never noticed a weakening of the paper.
  16. cardmodeler

cardmodeler Member

How I score

I use a tool from my plastic days which was used to scribe panel lines, only I flip it over and use the rounded back side for scoring paper. So far, it has worked pretty well for me.
  17. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I was just curious about the methods you people use to score or fold the parts of your models.

I am always shopping for new techniques and frankly, I am tired of inaccurate folding. But I do not want to cut through. Jim and Barry answered my question well. In fact, you ALL did.

I was using a canvas needle for this but it was difficult to keep in a straight line without a straight edge. The #11 x-acto tips seem like the methods I will try. I have a good wetstone so...

Thank you all for your replies!:-D