Do you score all at once, or part by part?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by rlwhitt, Nov 14, 2006.

1. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

I've seen several build threads start with a phrase similar to "well, I've finally finished scoring ALL the parts, now time to build!". I've always thought, man I'd go crazy doing all the scoring at one time, but maybe I'm the oddball. So, do you score everything at once, or one or a few parts at a time?

2. Kaz

Kaz Member

A bit at a time for everything here, that includes cutting, edge colouring and glueing.
    In fact while one glued part is drying I am cutting, edging and scoring the next piece
  3. Alcides

Alcides Member

I agree with Katz. I do the same.
  4. TheWebdude

TheWebdude Just a Member

It's dependant on my mood entirely. Sometimes i score part by part as I build. On the other hand I have quite a few already printed kits fully pre-scored for whenever I decide to get around to them.
  5. 46rob

46rob Member

I'm strictly a one part at a time kind of builder.
  6. SCEtoAux

SCEtoAux Member

Yeah, I'm with Kaz on this too. I tend to score a few parts at a time, usually some that go together in a sub-assembly, or all the parts on one page. When parts are drying I will score some more parts. :)
  7. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I score everything before I start cutting - my reason behind this? on many models the score lines all line up for some parts so I can get them all in one shot. I also use a ruler and an embossing tool from fiskars to do my scoring. You have to leave a small gap between what you are scoring and the line so they line up properly. If I do it all at once I dont have to try and rememebr exactly what that small distance is because I get used to it after a couple parts.
  8. speedless

speedless Member

As in life,score first,cut later!
    On many kits the scoring-lines is where they should be,OUTSIDE the parts
    if possible.(Dotted lines across parts looks like .. well..)
    Its also easy to track folds/cuts with a ruler having a hole sheet to hold the ruler on.
    Scoring tecnics depends on precision,looks and functionallity.
    Using my cutting knife lightly for hi-prec.
  9. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

score for shore (snore!)

I started scoring only recently. I used to fold the score lines over a straightedge. This method works, but can be horribly inaccurate. I was afraid to try scoring with my blade because I'm too stressed, and was cutting through every time. Recently I posted the thread "do you score" and got a couple tips, one of which I am using now. I use the x-acto #2 handle with the #24 blade. To score, I flip the knife and use the backside of the point. This works perfectly for me. I work on one part at a time and complete every step necessary with each part before moving to the next part.
  10. paper warrior

paper warrior Member

I make and score the parts as I need them.
  11. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Backside Scoring

Hi all,

I too make the scores as I need them and depending on whether it´s a 'valley' or a 'mountain' fold, I make small holes with a sharp needle and score the backside. I always use a set of very sharp sewing needles for scoring, along a transparent, plastic ruler.
    In fact, I have found that I move more and more towards backside scoring because of the fine folds I get, without breaking the paper´s surface.
    Obviously, this method is especially useful for folds which doesn´t have to be very sharp (or if the part isn´t all white), for example on the leading edges of a plane´s wings.

This also saves me hours of time-consuming and tedious 'brushing up' or retouching of the broken edges/folds with water colours or marker pens (which has to be done with the utmost precision, sometimes with many different colours. Furthermore, sometimes marker pens 'bleed' badly and might ruin a part so that you have to print a new sheet).

Full score every time with backside scoring (pun intended),
    Bengt :rofl:

PS. (edited in): I almost forgot - I use a small light box a lot, which is extremely useful for backside scoring and also for numbering all the small parts of a complex model before cutting them out - I use a pencil and always put a period mark (.) after 6 and 9, to be able to distinguish them from one another.