Do you run single or double?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Renovo PPR, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I have to admit for years I was only a steamer guy. However I bought a couple of diesels over the past few months. I think I am turning into a modern train type of person.

For those of you running diesels do you just run one or do you also buy and run the non-power unit with it?

[FONT=&quot]Can you run two power type units in conventional?

2. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

I almost never have just one engine on my trains, But then again I like the long freight trains so I usally have anywere from 2 to 6 engines, of cource they are all either BNSF, CNW, or UP lol.

You can run more than one powered engine in a train, you just need a decoder in both of them.

You can also run dummies, which don't have motors in them. When I have only 2 engines, both are usally powered but when I have 5 or 6 engines lashed up together I have maybe 3 powered and 2 or 3 dummies.

COMBAT Member

DCC makes running multiples together a great thing! :)
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I know running them in my case TMCC makes it easy. I just didn't know if I could run them in conventional. Maybe I just might go out and buy a dummy. Do either of you have some photographs?
  5. TruckLover

TruckLover Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer

Photographs of locos lashed up together? or of dummies?
  6. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

:) I see the dummy every morning when I shave. :) Both of them running togther, I guess a video would be better though.
  7. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Two Beeps together is a wonderful thing. :)
  8. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

Most of my trains are doubleheaded, whether steam or diesel, in order to make it up the grades. I also run doubleheaders of steam and diesels mixed, as most of my locos run well with any of the others.

COMBAT Member

You mean this?

10. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I run singles and powered doubles DCC and DC with a dummy or two thrown in for good measure. As long as the powered engines are somewhat similar in performance, they run together on DC just fine as well. DCC is a different story... much easier to double or triple head.
  11. doctorwayne

doctorwayne Active Member

I had my grandson running 12 locos together the last time that he was here, although it was just locos, with no cars. This is on DC, by the way. I've run some fairly long trains using multiple locos, and in varying combinations: all on the head-end, some on the head-end and some pushing, and a few with the locos interspersed throughout the train. This requires full attention, as there are lots of curves and lots of grades. In normal operations, trains are usually two locos and about a dozen cars, as that's what the passing sidings were designed for.

12. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

I guess it also depends on the type of train you are running. Are you running a trip freight or a HotShot? Is it a small suburban passenger or a mainline train?
  13. Greg Elems

Greg Elems Member

When I used to make floor layouts that took up the livingroom, I often ran two or three engines at once. They had the old style mechanical e units so I would lock all the units into one direction and away I would go. I also double headed steamers, I had a 2-6-4 with a broken pilot so it was made into a 0-6-4 with a dummy coupler. A Berkshire in the lead and you never noticed the missing pilot wheels on the second unit. Get both of them smoking, a sight to behold. We usually ran 20 box car trains when we did that. Boy those were the days......

14. oldtanker

oldtanker Member

I've experimented running 2 engines with DCC but until I get my layout build up some I'm not running anything.

Once the track is layed and I have a few more decoders installed I will at least double head most trains.

15. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

i do it in N scale and i do it with old post war lionel O scale

16. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

Cool I see I don't have to run the same type of engine.
  17. Geno

Geno Member

I like long trains as well, so I usually double or triple head engines, and that is usually more than enough poer to to handle a 40-50' O gauge intermodal train made up of mostly diecast cars. TMCC makes this operation very simple.