Do you like british steam locos?

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

beevee

Aug 24, 2005
ENGLAND
There were a lot of experimental liveries about in the late 1940's and early 50's when the newly formed British Railways were trying to get what would be called nowadays a corporate image. Blue was tried on the Western, Eastern and Midland Region express locos but eventually green was settled on as the standard livery for express steam locomotives. However the Midland Region carried on their tradition of maroon locos as well, the Coronation or Duchess class being the main example, so what you think of as being a lavender colour was actually a very subtle shade of blue.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
RobertInOntario said:
I think that LMS colour is actually called "Crimson Lake". British Railways used a similar colour but it was darker, definitely more of a maroon than red. Just FYI! Rob

I made it thru the 70s with a few working brain cells left, therefore...I declare it lavender:D

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Absnut: you're right about Coronation and its being stranded here. Before that I think the Great Western Rly sent over King George V, and I think a Royal Scot class came once (latter two are 4-6-0).
Flying Scotsman, class A3, made a tour in the early 70s and was stuck in San Francisco after they ran out of funds. It later made a trip to Australia.
There are 2 A4 class in North America -- Dwight D. Eisenhauer (in Green Bay?) and Dominion of Canada in Montreal -- but I don't think either toured.
There was a Schools class Repton (4-4-0) that also spent some time over here, and there are a few other locos scattered around.

I just found this on the RMWeb forum.
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1843&highlight=

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
Hi folks, for information the spelling of our late President is Dwight D Eisenhower (rather than the various versions that have appeared in this thread!). This loco was a streamlined A4 Pacific built by the London & Northeastern Railway (one of the post-1922 big four). Another type of LNER Pacific, the A1, didn't survive the cutters' torches, but a group of volunteers has raised over a million pounds to new-build a replica. To be known as Tornado, this loco is only months away from completion. It will run mainline specials when complete. If anyone wants to know about this project, let me know!

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
shaygetz said:
I made it thru the 70s with a few working brain cells left, therefore...I declare it lavender:D
Hey - I've seen these locos - I've ridden behind these locos - these locos ain't lavender!
I survived the 60s, so I sure can tell purple haze from king crimson.....:wave:

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Hornby R.074 "41st Squadron"

Some of my Hornby Locomotives. A Hornby Battle of Britain class 4-6-2 locomotive " 41 Squadron " # 34076

Attachments

• small 2 02-04-07 english rr eqoipment 008.jpg
    small 2 02-04-07 english rr eqoipment 008.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 33

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Hornby Loco

Hornby Loco # R.855 - The "Flying Scotsman LNER class A3 #4472

Attachments

• sma 02-04-07 english rr eqoipment 008.jpg
    sma 02-04-07 english rr eqoipment 008.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 32

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Hornby locomotive

Hornby #R.320 LMS class 5, 4-6-0 locomotive # 5138

Attachments

• sm 02-04-07 english rr eqoipment 008.jpg
    sm 02-04-07 english rr eqoipment 008.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 56

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Triang Locomotive

A TRIANG British Railways 4-6-2 "Princess Victoria" # 46205

Attachments

• princess victoria.jpg
    princess victoria.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 57

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Tri-ang locomotive

Tri-ang # R.259 British Railway 4-6-2 Locomotive "Britannia" #70000. This locomotive has a factory smoke unit.

Attachments

• tri-ang br #70000 britannia.jpg
    tri-ang br #70000 britannia.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 54

toptrain1

Jan 2, 2007
New Jersey
Hornby Evening Star

Hornby R.303. Evening Star BR #92220 with wrong tender. At a train show I couldn't pass it up. As you can see I have Americanized it with a cow catcher. Also has X2f couplers. The Great western tender has a perfect color match and is powered like the original.

Attachments

• br evening star.jpg
    br evening star.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 49

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Meiriongwril said:
Hi folks, for information the spelling of our late President is Dwight D Eisenhower (rather than the various versions that have appeared in this thread!). This loco was a streamlined A4 Pacific built by the London & Northeastern Railway (one of the post-1922 big four). Another type of LNER Pacific, the A1, didn't survive the cutters' torches, but a group of volunteers has raised over a million pounds to new-build a replica. To be known as Tornado, this loco is only months away from completion. It will run mainline specials when complete. If anyone wants to know about this project, let me know!

I'm curious to learn more about Tornado. It actually sounds familiar, perhaps I've seen it mentioned in some of my British railway magazines? At any rate, it sounds as if building replicas might be a good idea -- especially when so many locos are getting older and some were never even preserved. Rob

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
RobertInOntario said:
I'm curious to learn more about Tornado. It actually sounds familiar, perhaps I've seen it mentioned in some of my British railway magazines? At any rate, it sounds as if building replicas might be a good idea -- especially when so many locos are getting older and some were never even preserved. Rob
Check out: http://www.a1steam.com/mainmenu.html
You're right, if preserved lines and mainline specials want to keep on using steam, then some new builds are going to be required. There are several such projects in the UK, mostly new building lost classes, but Tornado is the biggest and nearest completion. The reborn Hunslet loco company has offered to new build 0-6-0 Pannier Tanks to Great Western Railway design for any railways that want one (but they're not gonna be cheap!)
UK has a very large number of standard gauge and narrow gauge preserved railways (some over 20 miles long), and most use steam - so there will be a market over there for new builds!:wave:

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Meiriongwril said:
Check out: http://www.a1steam.com/mainmenu.html
You're right, if preserved lines and mainline specials want to keep on using steam, then some new builds are going to be required. There are several such projects in the UK, mostly new building lost classes, but Tornado is the biggest and nearest completion. The reborn Hunslet loco company has offered to new build 0-6-0 Pannier Tanks to Great Western Railway design for any railways that want one (but they're not gonna be cheap!)
UK has a very large number of standard gauge and narrow gauge preserved railways (some over 20 miles long), and most use steam - so there will be a market over there for new builds!:wave:

Thanks, this is really interesting! FYI, I just realized that the Didcot Railway Centre (a huge GWR attraction) recently built a Fire Fly loco replica. You can read about it on this site (http://www.didcotrailwaycentre.org.uk/latest_news/latest_news.shtml) but you have to scroll down a bit. They were really promoting this 1840s loco replica last summer.

Thanks also for forwarding that A1 Tornado site -- I was just checking it out. This is so cool and exciting!

Cheers, Rob

Meiriongwril

Mar 1, 2006
Lafayette, Lousiana
more new build info on British steam locos

Here's more info on new builds in Britain.
This info appeared in Britain's Steam Railway Magazine (www.steamrailway.co.uk):

Coming together: Britain’s ‘new-build’ scene

JUST ten years ago, there were few ‘new-build’ schemes anywhere near completion – although there were plenty of ideas.
Now, though, Beamish museum has completed its second early railway replica within a decade, the long-awaited broad gauge Fire Fly is a reality and the boiler for ‘A1’ No. 60163 Tornado has arrived. Other projects continue to make progress, albeit at varying speeds. This is what’s happening with some of Britain’s other new-builds…

Billinton ‘H2’ class ‘Atlantic’ No. 32424 Beachy Head

‘Brighton Atlantic’ Beachy Head, withdrawn in 1958, was given the chance of a rebirth with the discovery of a boiler from an almost identical Great Northern Railway Ivatt 4-4-2 in 1986. Progress is gathering pace following the completion this summer of the group’s purpose-built workshop at Sheffield Park on the Bluebell Railway.
Work completed includes the casting of driving and trailing wheels and patterns for an array of other components. Current work involves drilling the frames.
No longer completely a replica - thanks to the emergence of the genuine regulator handle from No. 32424 (!) along with other ‘H2’ parts - the locomotive was originally due for completion by 2008 but now looks more likely to be ready in 2010. For more see SR319.

Churchward 'Saint' 4-6-0 No. 2999 Lady of Legend

The longest-established of a trio of ‘new-build’ schemes making use of standard Great Western parts, the ‘Saint’ (utilising the remains of No. 4942 Maindy Hall) is currently at Ian Riley’s Bury workshops. The boiler is almost ready to be fitted to the frames following the alignment of the original motion bracket with the rest of the motion and extension frames.
Great Western Society Chairman Richard Croucher expects the unification of boiler and chassis ‘within weeks’, immediately after which the locomotive will move to Didcot for completion. No date has yet been set.

Hawksworth ‘County’ 4-6-0 No. 1014 County of Glamorgan

Perhaps the most controversial of the ‘new-builds’ due to the use of the boiler from Stanier ‘8F’ No. 48518, the only survivor of the Doncaster-built batch, No. 1014 also incorporates the frames from ex-Barry ‘Modified Hall’ No. 7927 Willington Hall.
The production of the pattern for the casting of the six new 6ft 3in driving wheels is expected to be completed by the year-end. The overall project is expected to cost around £500,000 and intended to produce an example of the final design of GWR 4-6-0, fit for the main line.

Collett ‘Grange’ 4-6-0 No. 6880 Betton Grange

Another case of GWR standardisation being used to bring back a ‘dead’ class. Work on the new frames is currently the main focus, with re-rolling of the main plates currently taking place.
Boiler work (the standard Swindon No. 1 has come from No. 7927) has begun with the removal of the old tubes, and a set of expansion links have been acquired as have various cosmetic details such as the splashers and copper cap for the chimney. No date for completion is yet given although the cab is expected to be on the frames in time for next April’s ‘Steel, Steam and Stars’ gala at the Llangollen Railway.

Riddles ‘3MT’ 2-6-2T No. 82045

So far the biggest component required for the construction of this extinct class is a set of driving wheels which once graced a roundabout display. However, the 82045 Locomotive Group is launching a major push for funds following a public meeting on August 6 (SR326) to discuss the way forward.

Holden ‘F5’ 2-4-2T No. 67218

Having been working on the project since 2001, the sometimes-overlooked Holden F5 Locomotive Trust has so far constructed the buffer beams together with the running plate frame to hold them, plus patterns for some of the wheels and axleboxes. The latest arrival at the Essex workshops, which the trust moved into in 2003, is the smokebox which was fitted in late August.
The aim is to complete No. 67218 by 2012 - the 150th anniversary of the Great Eastern Railway. Its intended home is the Epping-Ongar line.

Riddles '2MT' 2-6-2T No. 84030

More a rebuild than a strict ‘new-build’, No. 84030 utilises all but the tender - missing on acquisition by the Bluebell Railway from Barry scrapyard anyway - of ‘2MT’ 2-6-0 No. 78059. The tank engine variety of this potentially very useful class became extinct in 1965.
One of the major difficulties experienced by the group, led by Colin Turner, is pressing the new rear pony truck. Few companies have been traced who have the equipment necessary to press such a severe radius as is required for the component.
However, all wheelsets have been fully machined, including the additional rear trailing set. The boiler has also been assessed and the tubes removed; it is expected that a new front tubeplate will be required along with other localised repairs.
With only around six or seven volunteers working regularly on the project, Mr Turner told Steam Railway: “There are too many unknowns at present to predict a completion date.” However, funds are coming in steadily helped by the presence of Ivatt ‘2MT’ No. 41313.

McConnell ‘Bloomer’ 2-2-2 No. 670

Work restarted this year on this scheme which was initially begun more than 15 years ago. Originally intended to work at Tyseley when conceived in the late 1980s, a change of direction in the early 1990s saw the ‘Bloomer’ replica go on to the back-burner as the site switched to provision of main line locomotives.
However, several recent bequests, together with funds remaining from the original scheme, have once again kickstarted the project.
Recent work has included the manufacture of pistons and piston rods, crossheads, valve spindles, slide bars and other components.
Tyseley’s Bob Meanley told Steam Railway the aim is now to complete most of the motion, leaving mainly cosmetic work to finish the locomotive. The boiler is already complete, tubed and installed in the frames.
Mr Meanley would not be drawn on what the future holds once it is complete. “We will resolve that once we’ve finished the job” he said “so there’s no point speculating now.” The completion date depends on finance and resources.

GWR steam railmotor No. 93

The locomotive section of this unique survivor is a new construction, but the carriage body survived into preservation via its use as an Auto-Trailer into the 1950s.
The boiler has already been completed and hydraulically tested, and is now just waiting for a successful casting of the blastpipe before fitting at Israel Newton’s boiler workshops.
GWS Chairman Richard Croucher expects this to take place ‘within weeks’ of the blastpipe arriving. Meanwhile, funding for the final few motion parts needed for the driving bogie is being pursued; the bogie itself is at Tyseley.
An application to the Heritage Lottery Fund for a grant towards restoration of the carriage body section, as well as partnering trailer No. 92, is being prepared.

North of England Open-Air Museum

In terms of numbers of engines completed, Beamish is ahead of any other ‘new-build’ organisations. Now a complete 1820s waggonway is in place with no fewer than three, the latest being Puffing Billy launched earlier this year.
Beamish’s Keeper of Transport Paul Jarman does not rule out further ‘new-build’ schemes: “There are so many iconic North Eastern-related engines out there that warrant further investigation” he told Steam Railway.

This doesn't include the group building new a BR standard Pacific 'Hengist', who have frames, cab, and smokebox, but still have a long way to go.
Also a recently announced plan to build a Wordsell O Class (later G5), 0-4-4T loco (originals built 1894-1901) that appears to have good backing.

:thumb:

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks again, Meiriongwril. Again, I'm really pleased to hear about all of this. It's hard to take all of this in, almost overwhelming!

My wife & I visit her native England about every 18 months, which gives me a chance to visit 1-2 heritage railways! All of this news & railway progress tempts me to live there, but the high cost of living in the UK (compared to Canada) stops us. Thanks again for this info, though!

Rob