Do you? If you do- tell all!

MCL_RDG

Do you make sounds while you run your trains?
I do.

Do you suddenly find your nostrils (beak, snorthole, web locker) excited by the scent of deisel smoke while following your trash truck down the street on your way to work?
I do.

I do! I remember a Susquehanna RS-1 (which I believe is still running) that we used to see on occasion down in Little Ferry, NJ.

It would sit there in the yard and in a deep growl-

Blump blump blump blump bl bl blu blump blu blu bLumP!

Then the sound of a chain being dragged over a trashcan would emit. Sometimes, every now and again a belch of black smoke would rise.

Ever sit there and as you run up your throttle try to make that sound that sounds like the turbos are racing to feed electricity to the motors. I do.

I just wanna know if you do. Do you?

(Not to mention the carsh of couplers, release of air from hose connections being broken, the "tsssit" of a generator)

You do, doncha? Take a moment, brace yourself and type, or try to type, your best loco impression. I did. A little story wouldn't hurt?:eek:

not exactly...

While I decidedly do not make train noises while I run my trains, I will confess to making car noises in my head while I play Gran Turismo 2, late at night with the sound off.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Welllllll, no. But I do fight the temptation by playing recorded train sounds while I run the layout. They sound more convincing than anything I could do. :) Seriously, sound is such an important part of the whole train fan experience. The roars, the burbles, the horn, the click clacks, squeaks and groans.....a regular symphony!
Ralph
PS "Web locker" ? :confused:

MCL_RDG

web locker?- heh, that's where you keep your s...

I was introduced to "web locker" when I was in Northern New Jersey- sn*t box, a schnoz by any other name???

Mark

P.S. I think it has to do if you have to blow and don't have a hanky and so end up with a "web" in your hand. I mention this because this can happen, much to the chagrin of those anywhere near ya while you're performing train sound impressions!

Sir_Prize

I've done it!
Actually... I make the sounds for the trains, cars, trucks...
And I enjoy it. My girlfriends daughter loves it. She is even
starting to make the sounds, too.
SOOO... You may think it childish... I think its connecting with
a child; be it my inner or a real child.

Sooooo....:p :p
:D

Partsman

I only make one sound when operating my railroad. That lovely whistle sequence when approaching and a level crossing.

Fweeeee, Fweeeee, Fwee, Fweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I remember it so well from my childhood as we lived in a small town with three main lines and level crossings at each end of town and one in the middle. We were only about 150 yards from the right of way and I used to lay awake late at night and wait for the trains to pass. It was like a lullaby to me, I guess. :)

Now my grandsons and I made all kinds of motor-like sounds when playing with all the rescue ranger vehicles that they received from Santa.

Vic

I let the sound system make the noises except for one 2-8-2 that has always been a pain....Dave would ban me from The-Gauge if I posted the noises I make when I run it!!!!!:D :D :D :D

Gary Pfeil

I mentioned before that Mark was a fellow member of a club I belonged to years ago. I can attest to his sound making abilities. I thought he was nuts at first, later I found out I was right. but he was fun. Now with my own layout and no Mark, I had to go DCC to get sound. Mark had better bass.

Gary

I frequently make noises - eructations, to be exact - that are distinctly untrainlike in nature. However, they generally cause others in the room to reel in stunned disbelief, and are universally the object of admiration and imitation by young boys. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

Vic

Originally posted by Casey Feedwater
I frequently make noises - eructations, to be exact - that are distinctly untrainlike in nature. However, they generally cause others in the room to reel in stunned disbelief, and are universally the object of admiration and imitation by young boys. :eek: :rolleyes: :D

ROFLMAO!! ROFLMAO!! ROFLMAO!!! :D :D :D :D

aartwmich

Roll On Floor Laugh My A** Off at Casey too!!!!:D :D :D :D

Yes, of course, I make train noises!!...learned from my dad, I was fed my first pablum to the sound of train noises......its fun, you're never too old to play! and then sometimes I just yell....

VERY LOUDLY, scaring the dogs........

TRRRRAAAAAAIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

RI541

Gary, Rolling Over Laughing My F**king A** Off

Yes I make little noise's when dubbing around. No my little people don't talk to eack other only in my head.....I think....

The most thrilling thing I've done (hopefully your all sitting for this) was during my divorce ten years ago i was working nights for Georgia Pacific. When we got out every one would race out of there to beat the train (we had to go across a crossing to get out of the plant) I wouldn't. I was the last to leave. Some times I'd get "stuck" at the crossing while they swapped cars in the yard.

But nothing can come close to the time an three unit lash-up was sitting in the middle of the crossing,idleing away while they got the rest of the train together, I got out of the truck, the red lights flashing, jumped up on the hood and had a smoke. Then when they were set to go the sound the M.U. made as the engineer brought up the power on the desiels was intence, the more them desiels roared the more the ground shook. I was in heaven. I got back into my truck and the first thought I had was "Five years of marraige and the ground never shook like that". I was happy for days after that.

interurban

Nice one Casey.
I bet you snore in your sleep-------------------------from both ends:D

Yes we make a lot of noise, ;) ;) the wind up of the heavey Interurban as it leaves the station, the clickity clack as the wheels run over the switchs and crossovers, the air compresser ticking over and the air exhausting out of the air tanks
OOOOOOOOOOOOO I must go now and play :D :D :D :D :D :rolleyes:

brakie

One of the members of the club that I go to can make the whistles sounds of the C&O,PRR and the N&W.I don't know how he does it but,when he imitates the N&W "Hooter" freight whistle it sounds like the 1218 coming down the track...

MCL_RDG

Welcome Home Tyson!

Welcome Home Tyson! I slipped in while you were out. I'm glad you're enjoying the thread- i crack me uP!

I hope more share.

:eek:

Mark