Do you have a home layout, belong to a club or both?

Mike Hamer

Mar 5, 2006
Hi Russ. I have a home layout where I model the Boston and Maine railroad which interchanges with the Maine Central.

I also belong to a club here in Ottawa called OVAR, Ottawa Valley Associated Railroaders. There are about 200 members of which approximately 120 meet for a full course dinner once a month. We have a guest speaker (local or from out of town) and we get to "talk" trains. Check it out at www.ovar.ca to see shat's going on!

I belong to a great round robin group of fellas called "The Friday Night Group". I know, it's not a very creative name, but the members are. We operate some pretty nice layouts, some finished, some well on the way...and some in their infant stages!

Feel free to check out my layout and the Friday Night layouts at the two weblogs in my signature. On the blogs, simply scroll down on the right of the screen...and to see more, just click on the archived posts on the left.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
ezdays said:
Gee, I thought I replied to this thread already. :eek:ops: :eek:ops: .

Huh! Me too! :eek:ops:

I have an HO layout in a 20 by 12 foot space. While I enjoy visiting the local clubs I don't plan to join any. I might consider it sometime if I weren't able to have space or resources to model in my own home anymore. :thumb:
Ralph

C

Catt

I must be gettin' furgetful too.Yes I have home layouts,no I belong to a group .We are multi-scale and have two N scale layouts (both modular) and 3 HO layouts.Most of the members also have home layouts.

L

lester perry

kmorris said:
Charter Member of the Delmarva Model Railroad Club with has HO, N, NTRAK, O Scale, O Tinplate, and G. Also added a loop of Standard Scale.

Building a 2'x16' or so HO Scale switching layout in my attic in a modular fashion since I might have to move soon.

The HO layout at the club models B&O and I model Santa Fe at the house, so I am confused...lol
Delmarva Model Railroad club, I feel I have visit your club but not sure. Are you above an old fire house ?

I have a 450 + square foot HO layout in building in my back yard (no basement). Planning on adding to it in about a year. Should double the size.
Les

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
i tried clubs, but am not in any now. i am living in a small apartment with my son at the present, so for now i have an HO 8'X30'' switching layout:cry:. but, someday...i will have a big layout again:thumb::D.

trainman4

Jun 25, 2006
milmont park,PA.
n scale

I have a 12x9 layout in what was once the backbed room.I can run four seperate trains & a trolley at once .I also have six reversing units that i run N-Z-ho- engines but it can get a little nerve racking at times.It's fun that's all that counts. Trainman4 from PA.

trainman4

Jun 25, 2006
milmont park,PA.
:wave: I typed out a response and didn't hit the post tab.oh well anyway I have a 12x9 n scale layout with four tracks and one trolley this is set up in what was called the back bedroom at one time.at this time i'm a loner i did belong to the DARN nscale club no joking that's the name of the club.I also have 7 reversing tracks that i run .there is three n scale one z scale and twoHO&one on3o.i don't run them mu:thumb: ch because it can get nerve racking.I hope i do this right this time.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I thought of something else to add that I think kind of fits in this thread. Most of the guys in the Orange County Module Railroaders who have a home layout, like to operate on the club layout when we set up because most home layouts are not big enough to run long trains. Interestingly, at the Los Angeles County Fairgrounds there is a huge outdoor layout. It was originally done in standard gauge back in the 1930's. It was built by 2 brothers, who were machinists and scratch built everything that operated on the layout. The brothers passed away long ago, and as the layout was run, the locomotives would break down. Since every single part was built from scratch by machinists no longer living, repairs were impossible. A few years ago the layout was turned over to a local garden railroad club, and the track relaid in LGB large scale. All of the original locomotives are on display in the club house and the garden railroad club conducts free tours of the layout during the fair. I was at the fair and met a man I'd met previously running trains in the Del Oro Pacific LGB modular layout at GAT Shows. Interrestingly, he told me that he joined the garden railroad club because the modular set ups didn't allow for long trains, so he was able to run long trains at the fairgrounds on the garden layout! I guess it is a matter of scale!