Do you have a favorite Smoke Fluid?

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by spankybird, May 21, 2005.

1. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

HI Diezel,

It's not really black smoke, more a case of trick photo. The smoke is white, but the room is semi dark, with the flash of the camera, it looks like black smoke. If you shine a blue light on the engine it will look real black.

2. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

Too bad there isnt a company or any one who makes black smoke.I would not even know where to start.
  3. sankrom

sankrom New Member

Black or other colored smoke

I am new to this forum and know this topic is old, but was also trying to find makers of different colored smoke. My son is always asking me for black smoke. Even though most railroaders will tell you if a steamer is making black smoke something is wrong, every video that we have watched always has the steamer bellowing black smoke. I know he would be amazed if black smoke statred pouring out of his steamer! I have to believe that someone has made black, grey, etc?
  4. spankybird

spankybird OTTS Founder

HI Sankrom, Welcome to 'The-Gauge' forum :wave:

Sorry to say, I don't know of anyone makeing black or gray smoke fluid. As I stated before, you can take pics of your steamer and with trick lights and photoghary, make it look black in the pics. But it is really white smoke.

BTW - It really is a steam vapor, not smoke. :cool:

5. sankrom

sankrom New Member

:( Thanks Tom, I was affraid that was going to be the answer. Maybe I will do a little experimenting........ sounds like there could be a market is someone comes up with it!

I order a few bottles of JT's Mega Steam, hopefully it will put out more than the standard Lionel liquid smoke, looks and sounds like it does from the pictures and comments.

6. Do Urquhart

Do Urquhart New Member

I run "G" gauge out doors. "G" locomotives eat smoke fluid! MTH produces its Smoke Fluid in "Coal", "Diesel", and "Unsented". (list $14, discount around $11 for 7 oz.) MTH and Aristo locomotives, with the fan driven smoke units, causes coal smoke to drift all over the neighborhood. An unknown smell to younger people.
  7. Gil Finn

Gil Finn Active Member

I like to mix some zippo fluid in with MTH iol, man itb realy smoke!.