Do you cheat?

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by wyverns4, Apr 13, 2006.

1. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

While trying to roll the bottom edge of the rudder pedals on a Halinski P-40E around a pin, I got to thinking. What if I cut a plastic rod of the correct diameter to width and rolled the edge around, with glue, and left it in there? Is that cheating? What about all of those little boxes I needed to form for the cockpit? Could I have cheated there, too, and cut tiny balsawood cubes to glue the cardboard box around?
    This P-40E is my first serious attempt at cardmodelling, so any advice is welcomed!

2. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I do not recall reading anywhere in the "rulebook of Life" that paper models "have" to be 100% paper. Many paper model manufacturers used to have you use wire, bristle, wood and clay for finishing touches.

I like to at least TRY to assemble each model EXACTLY as intended regardless of the finished look. I am a perfectionist, but, sometimes the only way you can tell the model is paper is from the imperfections. Each little bump and crease give the model charachter.
  3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Well Brain, Zort, it's like this. If the model is for your enjoyment and it isn't in any type of restrictive contest than anything goes. Afterall, the Halinski models use wire bits for small detail parts and clear PLASTIC for the canopies. The only "cheating" is telling people its made of paper, when you have said parts inside, NARF, Point! Your Avatar is great, they are my favourite pre Invader Zim cartoons.
  4. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

How would you do a clear canopy with out Plastic. I would hate to see some one build a complete cockpit and then cover it in paper. :twisted:

Okay, my own sick humor!!!! :cry:
  5. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Not sick Dave................ just a little AR....... no not Arkansas.

Whatever it takes for you to be happy with a model is OK in my book. Plastic, metal, rubber, wood............... I don't care, if it works............. use it. The idea of this or any hobby is................. don't worry............ be happy!:grin:

6. Darwin

Darwin Member

As bespoken in the oral gospel of Paul regarding swimming...."I'll even swallow ping pong balls to stay afloat..." Ain't no sech thing as cheaten, comes to card models. Diversity in techniques, I call it. To resurect an old signature of mine, "there is no right way, there's only what works."
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

I have it on good authority that...,

Just tell them it's made of paper..., who's going to realize you forgot to remove something and if you do forget well there's absolutely no cheating in that case cause cheating requires having a bad conscience a requirement for those who cheat or may have cheated, or are about to cheat so help me God. Now if you do cheat and remember that you have cheated and still experience no ill conscience effects it then becomes (through transference) a model benefiting from the use of multi-media in it's construction and will fetch a far higher price than mere models made of paper.

Maybe it's better to just tell them it's made of paper and that you have many friends who also like making things out of paper in their spare time at the assylum but that you have inside information that some of them actually cheat and...,

8. rwguess

rwguess Member

unless you are using 100% paper and glue you are a cheater!

and you will go to papermodel hell!!!!!

repent now and burn the plastic and wood

the hermit
  9. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Well I must be well and truly roasted by now, then!

100% paper, AND glue? Pah! Glue is for wimps..... I bet you even put ink on your paper!! 100% paper MEANS 100% paper! Nothing else! Good grief, you'll be telling me you use 'tools' to cut the paper now! Pah! A TRUE paper modeller will use his bare teeth!

10. rwguess

rwguess Member

hah i am not a mere mortal....
    i use my Xray lazer vision eyes to cut my models out... man i got skillz...

and use my adamantine reinforced fingernails as tweezers

besides who needs ink with a photographic memory to recall all of the textures i have ever seen on any model...

11. 46rob

46rob Member

To quote an old Navy maxim--Anything not expressly forbidden is allowed.

All things are relative. Remember, such things as Cellophane are still actually wood products. Many plastics are derived from agricultural products, as is paper and therefore can be assumed to be organic, as are lots of inks. Metalic salts are used in paper manufacture to give certain effects, and most of us have used metalic paper at one time or another, therefore, by asssociation, metal is OK as well. Clay is used to make glossy paper, so it falls nicely in place as well. Rubber comes from trees--paper comes from trees: connected and therefore allowed. Bone has long been used as a substitue for wood, for handles, buttons and such, therefore it is eligible for inclusion, and by association, the rest of the animal as well.

the thing that defines it as a paper, plastic, wood, or other medium is just in the percentage of material. Obviously, a Hasegawa plastic kit, with a few paper parts is still a plastic model. Putting paper clothing on a marble statuette doesn't change the genre, either. By that reasoning, a bit of bone, plastic, wire or chicken feathers on a card model, still leaves us with the fact that since the structure is predominately paper and is therefore a paper model.
  12. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Around this neck of the woods, we do not call this "cheating". We refer to it as "mixed-media modeling". :)
  13. dhanners

dhanners Member

I like to think I take as much of an "organic" approach as possible, i.e., as many of the materials as possible are organic in nature and not petrochemical products. That means I'm free to use paper, wood and other "natural" products. I've even used strands of spaghetti before.

That said, there are just some pieces that can't be done well in paper. The aforemention canopies are a prime example; if you're going to go to town on a plane's cockpit, that work shouldn't be hidden. Every now and then, I've used pieces of styrene tube.

Still, part of the fun of this hobby is the challenge we find in taking a two-dimensional design on a piece of paper and then cutting, forming and gluing it into a three-dimensional object. We should use paper or paper-related products where we can, but if accuracy requires some other material, we shouldn't hesitate to use it.
  14. lunarhighway

lunarhighway Member

When i build a model my main goal is always to construct a model that is as good looking and accurately looking as my skills permit, using whatever i have withing arms reach :) usually that's card, but i also use diferent diameters of metal wire to reinforce landinggears props and make antenas etc. and very fine metal wire for rigging wires .

these days i usually use the paper canopy suplied with the model as a mold for heatforming plastic parts ( i keep plastic packing matherial , especially these blister packs wich is very good plasting for heatforming...because that's how these packs are made in the first place)

i think a "perfect" card model should include all parts to reproduce the model, but mentinon and even atune the design to the posibility certain parts could be enhanced with external parts. in this respect for example i noticed that gabriels mig 17 has alternative parts and information for making a transparant canopy.
    that's the kind of "thinking beyond the sheet" philosophy i like ;)
  15. On the old site I once asked the question is it cheating or overkill to use Masonite (hardboard) rings machined on a lathe to act as formers inside a model I was designing. Some said no. A lot fewer said yes and most said if it trips your trigger then go for it. Face it most of us do not have the fine motor skills and dexterity to accomplish what some card modelers seem to do one handed in the dark and blindfolded. But if the model is mixed media as least be a man (or women) and own up to it.
  16. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

You did read the fine print on the x-ray eye's right. The part that says not to look in a mirror while in use. It could impair your judgement. :twisted: I fall in the catagory as a cheater. :grin:
  17. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

18. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

There is a model that uses - and must use, I can say - transparency sheet. That is the Galileo probe to Jupiter. The main antenna is made of that material. You print a laser-proof transparency sheet with the antenna diagram, and POW! to the moon, Alice... er... to Jupiter!
  19. jleslie48

jleslie48 Member

I make my models in 3 different genres:

1) mixed media: sometimes I'll add pre-fabbed wood beads, bits of metal wire, tin foil, etc. but even at this "cheat" level, I rarely add pre-fabbed items such as say a say going to to the hobby store and buying a scale pilot for an airplane.

2) household builds: only common items found around the house are ok. the most common item non-paper I use are string and toothpicks. If you have to buy it at the hobby/craft store, its in the above category. This is my usual build. For this type of build the materials get fuzzy. For example I have a wood shop in the garage, so screws, washers, wire ties are all common for me. I also have a guitar or three, so guitar strings are laying about. These are common Items for me, but not for others. My wife sews, so I also have access to varous pins, needles, velcro, etc, how do you count them??

3) pure paper: no "cheats" at all. lots of my builds are done this way just for pride. I'll make a paper axle wrapping the thinnest paper as tight as possible rather than use a toothpick for an axle. I even went so far as to cut strips of paper so thin that I used them like I would use string just so I could say "all paper" for the rigging on a sailing ship.
  20. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Petroleum products not organic??!!! I was under the impression oil was only pressure-cooked trees and plankton! OK, allowed to simmer for a while, but not organic?? Come on!! Even the branch of chemistry associated with carbon-based molecules is called 'Organic'! Not organic, indeed!

Tim P
    PS Am I a 'Cheat'? Yep, and PROUD!!!