Ditch Light Problem

leejax01

Feb 13, 2007
I just bought a NS 8-40CW Dash loco NIB and when I initially put it on the track, the right ditch light did not work. The left one did fine, but not the right. It is the Atlas Silver Series with the contact pads on the front of the frame with the copper tabs on the shell. I contacted Don at Atlas and he said to send it in, but is there a common problem/fix? There is no power to the pad, so it is not a contact problem. This is my 5th loco like that and it is wired like the both sets of ditch lighting coming from the board. There are seperate caps to each side and I suspect that the right cap is the problem...any ideas?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
If it is brand new, then your best bet is simply to have Atlas fix/replace it.

If you are comfortable with wiring/soldering, and don't mind voiding the warranty, then open it up and look around. Sounds like there is simply something loose inside, but if there is a lighting board, the "loose wire" could be a flaw in the circuit board, which will be difficult to fix.

Andrew

leejax01

Feb 13, 2007
Will probably end up sending it back to Atlas as all it is doing os sitting in the box. I really did not want to send it back as it could take a while to get back.

leejax01

Feb 13, 2007
Sent it back to Atlas...will let you guys know how long it takes and how it turns out.