Disused Coaling Station - photo intense

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
One of my current projects is a long abandoned coaling station. I model diesel (mostly 70's to modern) and I wanted this structure to look like it hasn't been used since the 50's.

I started with this Bachmann coaling station I picked up at the LHS.
coalingstation.gif

I then stripped the roof off it and weathered it appropriately.
P1010166-1.jpg

Next I rubbed aluminum foil into the contours of the original roof and spray painted it a rust color.
P1010203.jpg

The next step was to cut and place rafters where the original roof had been.
P1010206-1.jpg

I weathered the rafters with a wash of gray paint and alcohol.
P1010211-1.jpg

The next step was to cut the roofing into scale 4x10 foot pieces.
P1010214.jpg

I then used white glue and a pair of tweezers to place the sheets where I wanted them. I used the tweezers to tease the bends into them. First one side:
P1010218.jpg

P1010215.jpg

Then the other side:
P1010219.jpg

P1010222.jpg

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
Hi Jeff: I like your "bashing" efforts much better than the shiny plastic of the, as delivered, model. That must have been some wind storm that peeled the roof back. Now we need a on site picture with weeds, brush and pigeon droppings.

e-paw

Mar 16, 2007
saylorsburg pa
On a derelict structure from the 70's on some :cry:graffiti:cry: could be in order. Some missing boards:sad: or fire damage:eek: are also possible. Almost anything goes. great idea.:thumb:

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Thanks for the suggestions. You may have noticed there's no coal chute, no loading equipment, no steps or walkways anywhere to be seen. Even the window moutons (inner frames that hold the panes in place) have been removed. This is all to give it that look that it hasn't been used for a very long time. Somebody had to have a really throwing arm to hit that window way up there. Even graffiti artists need a way to get to their target and with no steps anywhere that's a mighty tall order.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Thomas Modeler
Sep 30, 2008
Of course, on my layout the coaling stage(when I build one, I have to scratchbuild it because I need a British one) will be anything but defunct. Guess why.

ocalicreek

May 4, 2005
Puyallup, WA
groups.yahoo.com
Nice work, Jeffrey! I may have to pull out mine and work on it a bit more. I got mine in a lot from ebay along with other plasticville structures. It will become a tipple for a mine up in the hills...someday.

kb bachmann plasticville tipple.JPG

In this shot it's just been distressed and hacked up, er, modified. The back legs are shortened and the top sections have been removed. Hopefully after painting the wood grain and distressing will show nicely.

Great idea using the original panels as a template for foil. You may have given me the solution to a challenge I had with my tipple. My approach originally was to thin the bottom edge of the roof (a la Art Curren) and that looks okay, but adding a layer of foil panels above would carry the illusion further and add to the realism. Nice. Thanks again.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Jeffrey, nice example of "outside the box" (or perhaps "beyond the picture on the box") thinking to make a unique model. I especially like your idea of using the kit's roof to make your own roofing sheets. Nice work! :thumb::thumb:

Wayne