Disturbing video.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by TrainNut, Jan 12, 2007.

1. soat204

soat204 New Member

truly sad indeed...thats all i can say
  2. joesho

joesho Member

ohhhh ive seen some pretty bad crashes in my life but this is just terrible,how can u think to want in front of a train going,mabye 80,70 miles an hour??? why? i also feel most sorry for the enginer who has to live with that the whole rest of his life
  3. brakie

brakie Active Member

While working on the PRR as a brakeman we hit a car after the driver cut around lowered gates and popped out behind the cabin car of a West bound freight..All the engineer said was OH S! and dumped the air while the fireman and I hit the floor of the cab.Needless to say that was the last time that driver would cut around lowered gates he bet against the odds and lost.
  4. CCT70

CCT70 Member

I once hit a bicyclist on a training run at Amtrak at 79mph south of Fresno. We clipped the rear tire of the bike THANK GOD and it threw the rider and bike (again, THANK GOD) AWAY from the train. I knew though that the outcome still couldn;t be good, was just glad she didn't get sucked UNDER the train. We dumped the air and I RAN all the way back to the crossing. Amazingly, she was getting up, crying her eyes out and bawling something in Japanese. As it turns out she was a 12 year old Japanese student here in California on a church sponsored exchange and AMAZINGLY, just had scraped up legs and a torn dress, which got caught in the chain sprocket of the bike when we hit her. I ripped the already ripped up dress away from the sprocket and held her tight. I was even more scared I think than she was. The fire department had to literally pry her out of my arms. I was in tears also. She had scraped up legs and a scrape on her chin, but I hadn't thought to grab the first aid it unfortunately, since I figured she'd be dead. Someone was smiling down on BOTH of us that day. I rode the coaches the rest of the way to Bakersfield trying to regain a normal breathing pattern. All in all though, a VERY RARE happy ending for a train vs. ped accident.

The most ironic thing though? One of the EMT's spoke Japanese. Thank God for miracles.
  5. MadModeler

MadModeler Member

That is really damned scary. You are right. Someone was doing some extra overtime protecting both of you!
  6. Geno

Geno Member

That video was intense and graphic, but should be shown in every elmentary school in our country to plant the idea that running across the tracks to beat a train is dangerous and suicidal.

I know, I know- all of the bleeding -heart liberals and lawyers would be suing school boards across America because little Johnny and Katie have nightmares after seeing a train video at school, but what other result would happen? Less young people would die at railroad crossings.

7. MadModeler

MadModeler Member

Yeah, Why should little Johnny and Katie have the nightmares from seeing the video when they could have nightmares from seeing the real thing?:rolleyes:
  8. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

I understand your point. On the flipside I've seen truck drivers with two wide open lanes and refuse to get over to let people in off the exits and keep a smooth flow of traffic. These are the same guys that will barrel out in front of you off an exit ramp and not even look to see if you've moved over or not. Their phillosophy towards driving seems to be, "I'm bigger get the **** out of my way."
  9. Cannonball

It's not any worse than the movies they used to make us watch in driver's education classes. And a little better than the gorefests they show you about drunk driving when you're in rehab.
  10. conrailmike

conrailmike Member

It just amazes me how many people think that they can beat a train.

11. viperman

viperman Active Member

This video was taken by a railfan in Downers Grove, IL. Not sure which of the 2 stations it was at though, I have to really study the buildings to figure it out. One Metra was sitting at the station, the other was an express train in the middle track of a 3 track mainline. And judging by the fact the loco hit her, the train was traveling west, east they have the last commuter car in the lead
  12. iis612

iis612 Member

I live a few blocks from that very crossing, it is the Main St crossing. No Pepperidge Farms in the background.
  13. viperman

viperman Active Member

I was wondering if it could also be the Belmont crossing. But then again, the train sitting at the station would be on the other side of the street, to the right in the video
  14. Geno

Geno Member

I'd say the most disturbing thing about the whole grade crossing issue is that the general public has the misguided notion that trains traveling at 70-80 mph should be able to stop for them. It's this overall ignorance and lack of interest in the physics of a moving train (until its too late) that dooms most of these idiots to becoming another statistic.

15. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

I hope that all of you who have had to try and stop the train for people who are wreckless know by trying to stop, as useless as that is, you did all YOU could. I know taking someone elses life has to be hard and it is something that haunts you but I cant help in saying the blame is on them, not YOU! May you have restfull nights and sleep well knowing you cant control what others do no matter how hard you tried to prevent it.

Thanks for the video. It shows the true awesome power of what an object in motion can do. I believe if we showed this on tv, the whole thing, people would think a little more and maybe realize that when it is a tie an the crossing, you lose!
  16. COMBAT

COMBAT Member

WOW, I started looking around for some more of these videos.
    Security camera caught this one.
    GTA video came crash, this is funny.
    Yikes, but I dont see an engine???
    Lastly, nothing to do with trains but still why would anyone want to stand that close to the road? Ahh, people, always thinking. :)
  17. Seaboard

Seaboard Member

Lol :D I played that game Grand Theft Auto San Andreas, And drove that same train. My brother got the less gravity cheat and made the train fly.sign1 I had fun recking it. It would bounce off of the cars and buildings and not even do some damage, until it caught fire and blew up. Lol:D
    BTW nice vids COMBAT.
  18. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

I've seen the first one, as well as the second one. That Indian family still get's me as to just how close they came. It really does show how we have no perception as to how fast something is coming at you. I think it was actually on The Gauge not too long ago. With the semi truck full of grain, you can see that car starting to back up to get out of the way. You know he sees it coming and can do nothing about it. That game crash was entertaining but was hmmm, not too realistic. I love how it bounced off of the car and the car spun around and kept right on going. The trestle shot was neat but obviously staged. It looks as if they removed the reails along the top and weakened the structure for a spectacular crash. I would have liked to have seen that from further back.
    The last one... I have always thought I should have been a rally racer but just never followed the right paths in life to become one. If you love rally racing (as I do) you are surely keeping track of the most famous rally race in the world going on as we speak - The Dakar 2007. It starts in Lisbon, Portugal and ends in Dakar, Africa. It's something like 16 days and almost 5000 miles of racing across the absolute most challenging scenery in the world. They have a 30% finish ratio. Boy how I could detour on that subject.
  19. Cannonball

Lately I've taken to derailing the trains in Micrsoft Train Simulator on purpose. Watching those puppies fly when there is no real life in danger is pretty amazing. (And it doesn't break my real life models. ;) ) I've got some great screen shots as well.
  20. coachC

coachC Member

In the second one with semi, watch the van. They know what is coming and start backing up before the train gets there.