Disturbing video.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by TrainNut, Jan 12, 2007.

1. TrainNut

TrainNut Ditat Deus

Okay, so I was clicking on the link for the animated peanut butter lid and it was not working for me so I tried to find it the hard way by going to the root address and searching in the train category. Instead, this little video popped up. This is probably a repeat but I've never seen it before so my apologies in advance for those that already have.
    Woman gets hit by high speed train...
    For some reason the link doesn't always pull up the correct video. If you get the video of the three yahoos goofing around in the passenger car, close it and click the link again. That seems to work.
  2. RailRon

RailRon Active Member

Whew! This video really gets at your throat!

Sometimes you really wonder what some people are thinking, when they make such blunders. Trains ARE dangerous - one thinks that everybody could realize this...:curse:

But my true sympathy goes to the engineer who might have psych problems throughout his life, because he feels responsible for the death of a person, although he is innocent...:cry:

3. CCT70

CCT70 Member

I got the lowdown from OLI when my dad used to be involved with Operation Lifesaver. Apparently, the lady was walking with her divorce lawyer, straight from Divorce court.

It'd be in poor taste to say something further about THAT, but man! Sometimes irony can be pretty ironic.

And I PRAY that NONE of you have to be behind the throttle when a train vs. pedestrian happens. It sucks. REALLY sucks. I still have nightmares about my first and it was 9 years ago. It'll always haunt you.
  4. bigsteel

bigsteel Call me Mr.Tinkertrain

that video IS disturbing, it goes to show that nothing can stop a train like a car would.:cry: but i have seen it happen,a man was pullling a tractor trailer across the tracks after the crossing lights came on (no crossing gates=bad idea) and the traffic in front of him left the rear end of the trailer onthe tracks and a train traveling at what looked like 50 mph came and BLASTED the rear end and obliterated it.the driver was okay but half of his trailer was gone, this may sound mean but after i saw he was alright .i was laughing my but off at his stopidity.but you MUST feel bad for the engineer,not for hitting him but having to stop the train and walk the whole length of it to inspect any damage:curse:
  5. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

GEEEEZ! Look both ways for crying out loud!!! Any one know the outcome? Did she survive the accident?
  6. iis612

iis612 Member

In 1994 I was a railroad cop for CSX. A few things happened that caused my base station to close, which landed me in train service. I trained as an engineer, and my first trip out of training, all on my own (my conductor was asleep). I see this station wagon cutting through the gates. I dumped the train (102 grain empties) into emergency and hit that car going 48 mph.
    No one in the car lived. There was a family of 5 in it. To this day I can see every single detail of it as vividly as when it happened. I lose ALOT of sleep over it.
    That is the last day I performed any work for CSX. I took my 3 mandatory days off, then burned my vacation time, and then when the crew caller contacted me for my next job I told him to mark me off the turn board on a rest day. The next time the crew caller contacted me I told him I couldn't go back.
    Not a very "Manly" way to quit, but when I told the trainmaster that I needed more than 3 days he berated me and called me several very colorful variations of kitty cat. My union wouldn't help me.

Operation lifesaver has been terrific, and has saved many lives. I just wish people would get it into their heads to Look & Listen. I have not seen many things fight with a train and win.
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I saw this clip several times on TV but they never showed the lady getting hit. They stopped just as the train got to the lady.

That had to hurt.
  8. cboath

cboath New Member

I first saw this video on one of the Faces of Death videos and even with all the gore that happened on that video, this one stood out with me the most. Just scary.
  9. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

To you guys that have been behind the diesel's throttle when something like this happens - you have my heartfelt thanks for doing your jobs professionally despite the actions of others. I'm sorry though for the wreckage - both physical and emotional - that you're left to deal with. I guess, ultimately the vehicle drivers are to blame for risking their life in a race with tons of train that can't be stopped on a dime. Physics is physics and works every time.
  10. CCT70

CCT70 Member

Um...no. Her head came off, and rolled like a bowling ball knocking over the person taking the video.

Yeah. Pretty gruesome.
  11. CCT70

CCT70 Member

Ah... sounds like you too got hosed by the Useless Transportation Union.

They are the reason I left Amtrak. I got up and walked. Left 402 passengers sitting on the train and I got up and walked. I simply could not take it anymore. I then went to work for a short line.
  12. tetters

tetters Rail Spiking Fool!

I've seen that video quite a few times before now. Based on some of the comments here it isn't until now that I'm certain it wasn't faked in some way. Truely sad.
  13. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

People just don't have a clue about how momentum and weight works. On the freeways I see professional truck drivers try to keep a safe distance back from traffic only to see idiots in cars cut right in front of a truck and slam on the brakes! 80,0000 lbs won't stop like 3000 lbs, and 80,000 tons stops even slower. I think what brought it home to me, but I don't know how they would get the message across, is hearing about a test the Santa Fe did where they took a loaded train going up Cajon Pass at 25 mph and did an emergency stop. It took 1 mile to get the train stopped going up hill!
  14. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

I've heard that because of the way our eyes work, people find it hard to process just how fast an object is traveling. It had to do with the amount of time the object travels the length of itself. So a large airplane for instance, seems to be traveling slowly when landing because it's taking a long time to travel its own length, whereas a small airplane seems to be going faster. In reality the larger airplane is traveling much faster. With a train, since it's normally traveling in a long straight line, we have problems processing just how fast it's coming at us since we can't see it travel its entire length, so people wrongly think "it's not moving that fast" and try to beat it across the crossing. I'm not sure if what I heard is actually correct both medically (eye/brain process) and in physics (momentum/mass/acceleration)...but it's interesting.
  15. hiscopilot

hiscopilot Member

Oh and I thought ped vs metro accidents in DC were bad when I was in the FD. Yikes. I don't know the people nor the situation, but she TOTALLY was responsible for her own life in that case. That poor guy at the throttles! UGH! She ruined both of their lives with that one stupid move. And the ripple effect through the family and friends and witnesses....... UGH UGH UGH UGH!
  16. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

I often go fishing just north of Harrisburg, Pa along the Susquehanna River. The bad part is that I have to cross about 5 sets of train tracks on the west side of the river by foot.
    Now there this is a wide-open area with a long straight away.

From a distance it appears the trains are slow and will never reach you. However in truth they are moving fast and a little bit of poor footing would spell trouble.

[FONT=&quot]I have learned not to attempt the cross over when you can see any trains approaching.[/FONT]
  17. Seaboard

Seaboard Member

Thats why you should look in both directions before crossing a multiple track grade. and even if some cars or a parked train is blocking your view you should always stop and listen before stepping onto the tracks.
  18. MadModeler

MadModeler Member

No kidding. Oh my God! That is horrible!
    That poor engineer. I had a close call (and that's with my car) 19 years ago that still gives me the sweats when I think of it. A girl jumped up from a ditch, ran in front of my car, stopped, flipped me the birdie and then ran off. Fortunately, I was able to stop in time (literally inches away from hitting her) and almost threw up. This was 19 years ago.
    That close call freaked me out badly. I don't even want to think how that guy at the throttle felt. I hope he was able to pull through this hell.
    Why are people so stupid? Why? :curse:
  19. LocoIndy76

LocoIndy76 Member

Amen.... I drive a semi now. I drove Over the Road for 5 years.... It was IMPOSSIBLE to keep a "cushion" between you and the car in front of you.. EVERYONE HAD to pass and then get in front of you...:rolleyes: They just didn't understand.... I never understood it.... Same way they cut in on you when they come off entrance ramps... They think THEY have the " Right of Way" :curse:

I feel for whoever was at the controls... Hope he can sleep though the night! Same goes for ANYONE who witnessed it... It's horrible to see it in the video... Would have been worse to have lived it!!!! Good Lord...............................
  20. iis612

iis612 Member

Yeah, they hosed me. I filed a grievance, and my union rep said that they would not send a representative to aid me at the hearing.
    IBLE is supposed to stand for International Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers.
    Instead it is the last 4 letters in Terrible