dissassembling Atlas Locmotives

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by green_elite_cab, Feb 5, 2006.

1. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

i only recently got my firts ever atlas locomotive, a U34CH. now i have an ALP44 and B40-8. I figured out he ALP 44 pretty quick, but the other two stumped me. I instincively removed the couplers. then i tryed gently lifting the shell off. nothing. i only found screws on the U34CH, and even when unscrewed, the shell wouldn't budge. I'm afraid to try on the B40-8 because there is a chain going from the front truck on the right side to under the cab, and i don't want to bust it.

The reason is so that i can install a decoder in these locomotives when i get the decoders.
  2. billwv

billwv Member

Check the Atlas site, or sheets included with your loco for drawings.

They will show where tabs or screws are. I am not familar with the model you have, but many have tabs either at the ends or by the cab, that you push in to lift the shell.

I hope someone who has that model can respond with more specific info.

Good Luck,

3. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

4. HOseeker

HOseeker New Member

Fixing Link

Thank You for linking to my site for reference information.

I noticed that you linked directly to the JPG file and it did not work. To link to this site you must enter a HTML file. This will allow you to access the web site material.

I have added many new pages of diagrams and reference material over the last month. These updates include Varney, Mantua/Tyco, Winton, Rivarossi/AHM, Roundhouse/MDC, Athearn and Bowser.

Good luck getting your B40-8 working properly again.

5. Ray Marinaccio

Ray Marinaccio Active Member

Sorry about that. I didn't check to make sure the links worked.
    Thank you Larry for the heads up.
    And Welcome to The Gauge.
  6. green_elite_cab

green_elite_cab Keep It Moving!

got the U34CH off, but the B40-8 is being more of a pain.