Displaying Trains

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by nolatron, Jul 18, 2005.

1. nolatron

nolatron Member

Hi all,

I've removed my layout for the time being and planning on getting a shelf or something to display my trains. Mostly N-Scale now, but I plan on picking up some HO stuff and maybe 1 or 2 G-Scale locos (so I picked the middle HO forum to post in :) ).

My question is, is there anything I should worry about with displaying these trains for a long period of time? Will it be okay to not run a loco for months, years? Any period things I should do to maintain them? I'm not too familiar with the mechanical workings of a loco motor, so I'm just not sure.

I just don't wanna buy locos now for collecting/displaying, only to end up having them not be in good running condition down the road when I rebuild a new layout.

2. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

I guess dust could be the only thing that may have an effect. Most long term displays are usually behind glass to protect what is being stored
  3. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I wouldn't worry about it when storage isn't going to be for more than a year or two. Longer than that and I would clean them right down to the motors, removing any grease that may be on the mechanisms, then reassemble them with a light coat of oil. The grease has a tendancy to coagulate and harden over time, leaving a bear of a mess to clean off when you want to run again. When you're ready to run them again, a light dab of grease on the gears and a drop of oil in the bearings is all you will need to get back up and running.
  4. urbancowboy

urbancowboy New Member

I know this thread is an old one but I thought I would post a picture of an HO train display case that I made a few months ago. This display case wasn't too hard to build. My dad helped with the planning and construction of the case. It cost me about $65 CDN for the materials. I'm very big into collecting and displaying my trains. I do have a small portable layout that I use to test run my trains but most of the time they stay in the display case or in their original box. Anytime I run a train of mine that has been sitting on my shelf for more then a month or two, I always make sure to properly oil the trucks.

The train models you see in the picture are in a particular order. The top shelf I have my only IHC 4-6-4 Hudson in the TH&B road name and then my Santa Fe engines. The second shelf I have my Kato BC Rail Loco with 2 gondolas, boxcar and a caboose which I combined using a Life-Like body with an Athearn floor and trucks. The third shelf shows my Athearn DD-40 Penny's with 3 Athearn Hustlers. My last shelf I didn't know what to do so I placed 4 Herpa Promotex Transport's. It's not my best display layout but it will have to do until I can think of something better.

5. TrainClown

TrainClown Member

6. BNSFrailfan

BNSFrailfan New Member

I display my HO Models in 22" Plastic containers made for HO Trains. They are wounderfull for keeping away the dust of your Locomotives. Allan.