Discrimination at Superbowl, or Money Makes You Above The LAW?

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by fifer
I have to agree with what Jay Leno said about this whole thing
" Gee I hope this dosn't embarass the Jackson Family ".
Mike

:eek: :confused: :sleeping:
Yeah, now that was humor!!! FRED

F

Fred_M

:) I want to now share a comment with everyone I once read. Arguing on the internet is pointless, even if you win you are still a looser.:) FRED

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Re: Closing the Super Bowl discussion

Originally posted by Bill Stone
Sorry, but I have to say that closing the Super Bowl (prudishness) discussion was an overreaction. I was about to come down on Will's side, and agree with him whole-heartedly on the misplaced, so-called "morality" the thought police seem to be foisting upon us in the States (and probably elsewhere.)

BillS

Bill:

and everyone else who Boasts or doesn't Boast about "Being a member of The Gauge"

If you don't want to read any Further - you don't have to. (It's your ConsTITutional right to keep reading or not to)

Allow me to blow off some steam first, Please :( :(

I have stated this about 5 times so far & I will keep repeating it whenever necessary. We here at the gauge have certain responsibilities. They are basic rights given over the internet, to those who have the freedom to access information PERTAINING TO THE SUBJECTS THAT ARE PROVIDED ON THE FORUM.

In this case Model railroading..... remember Model railroading????????????

The Moderators (ALL OF US) are NOT compensated in any way, shape or form!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes you hear (read) about Catt & I carousing with our Ficticious "Sexytaries" but I assure you it's just a bunch of Train Loving people TRYING to keep this board running realtively smooth & FLAME FREE for the most part.

How do we do it????? We help each other - day-in & day-out GIVING UP sometimes 2-3 hours a day - reading all the new posts & replies & posts & replies & posts & replies...well you get the idea.

Those of you that respect us enough that are still reading will note: We work 40 Hrs a week, and or have lives outside the Net. This is Volunteer time.

You will also note I am replying to this post NOT the original post about "Miss Jackson"!!! :) :) :) :)

now, what happened today????????????

FRED (Dash10) decided correctly to post what he felt he WANTED to post. Voicing his opinion about something that bugged him. Was he Wrong or Right??? It doesn't matter - because it was simply his opinion! That's what this is about - what one member wants to do (WITHIN REASON) is allowed on The Gauge.

As soon as things got a little "Rough" (WILL_ANNAND, TILEGUY, and DASH!) started "casting stones" Our "Flag" went up & we were watching....

What's that?? you dont like being watched??? There's the door man!!!!

We have great Pride in what we do & if you read all the posts over the years we've been doing this, the General Consensus is, that the Gauge is a very Good Place To Be!!!!!

Now, Still Listening?????? I recieved an e-mail From jon (ANOTHER MOD) you will also note Shamus (MOD) replied to the thread, PLEASE don't think this was coincedance. It WAS NOT!!!!!!!

I locked the thread because I was at work. I took the time to read it through ENTIRELY before I made the decision to delete The "F" word & the other line in the post. Then, believe it or not, we actually have to fill out a "report" as to why we do things. It's to verify WHY we do things to posts & Threads.

I then re-opened the thread 32 Minutes after I closed it. Were we talking behind your backs YES!!! Were we thinking of Deleting the thread YES!!!!! But I MADE the decision to leave it open :) :) :) That is MY right as Moderator of that forum. I have final say!!!!

Now, I really Really Really get tired of the "BUT IT SAYS GENERAL!!!!" thing... I'm sorry but that is MY PERSONAL OPINION. I also am Very tired of "If you don't like it, you don't have to keep reading. It's human nature to be curious. Kinda like those that say the Ten Commandments should not be displayed. :( :( you are stretching the ideals of the human race, i'm sorry, That's the way I feel.... We all have the intelligence to know what will probably start a "constructive criticism" thread & what won't.

All we ask is: Watch what you post!!! We are catering to people 13 years and over! Please try to think & use your common sense before you post!! If not for your peers, for the Mods that have to read every post word for word. :) :) :)

Otherwise, Are we any better than a "Star" on a Train engine looking Velcroed brassiered bare..... well you know...

I liked the Jay Leno Post btw :) :) and it's a shame, that in this world we live in, that it probably didn't embrrass the Jackson family more than they have been.

This has ALL been My Humbled Opinion
Anyone want to respond, I RESPECTFULY request you do it by PM or e-mail...

Thanks for your time, if you are anywhere as busy as I am, I respect you for taking the time to read this far. :)

~~ Mikey (Moderator & Proud of it)

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Being a moderator on 2 other forums I will till you this..
A moderator walks a very thin line.One he can over react and lock a topic because it gets a little rough during the debate when there is no real reason to so.Then there is the time he must act swiftly and put a end to the chaos..In this case I must go with Jon,Mikey and the other moderators in taking the action they chose in ending a rather unusual topic..I would have done the same.

I fully agree with Mike.Moderators on forums does it out of their own free will and they give up their time from the family and modeling to insure a forum is a enjoyable place for all to share modeling ideas,received help by asking questions and so forth.
Now at times we must take action that may not be well received by some forum members but know and understand we must keep order so others may enjoy the forum..

yellowlynn

Jul 7, 2001
Whitehouse, Tx USA
Visit site
moderators

I am normally a lurker, just loving to read and keep up with things. This is a rare instance when I would like to give an opinion. The saying goes "If you criticize the food, why don't you do your own cooking?" I, myself have no complaints whatsoever about what moderators do, or don't do. It is their right, privilege, perogative, AND RESPONSIBILITY to do what they do, or don't do.

I think you are doing a grand job, keep it up.

Lynn

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by yellowlynn
I think you are doing a grand job, keep it up.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I appreciate that this forum provides an arena for open discussion on topics other than model railroading. In this way, we can find out more about the folks we count as fellow modelers.

In the world where the Basic and Mostly Credible Railroad runs, Justin's getting wupped behind the woodshed while Janet bags groceries and Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings and Sam Donaldson shine shoes and sell newspapers out front. Britney, Christina and Madonna are repentant, fully covered and singing hymns at the Y while Michael meets his new bunkmate Bubba at the State Prison.

It would be easy to sit on a high horse as a right-wing extremist Bible banger and scream, "Nanny nanny boo boo, I told you so." but I can't and won't. There was a day long ago when I would have reveled in this current mess. When this Nation let out a collective yawn at a former President's artistic use of cigars, we gave up our right to feign shock at a blatant thumbing the nose at what virtue remains on National television. We have been given an opportunity to repent of our own complicity in this and work to clean it up---or---sit back, shut up and revel in whatever the tube has to offer us this week.

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net

He sent pictures from Germany, some little coastal town on the North Sea, of two couples (2 men and 2 women) walking along the street from their hotel to the beach. The beach was a nude beach and so were they. When he asked the waiter at the cafe he ws having lunch at, the guy said. Oh, they are from the hotel up the street, people always go to the nude beach here, we have the best beach for miles.

I wasn't going to post anymore in this thread, but when I read this I had a disturbing thought... Do these people go into the cafe...nude? That'd put me off my lunch PDQ, especially considering some people's personal hygiene habits (or lack thereof). Yuck!

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
No, he said they just walked down from the Hotel to the beach.

The point he could not get over was that no one seemed to pay much attention. Just him I guess, becuase in the pictures he showed me, the street was full of people and no one else seemed to be concerned.

Hello Proudly Moderating Mikey,

I read your post with interest as I do feel your pain. Sure I'll jump in here and add my praise for a job well done and for all the Gauge moderators.

I was the owner/sysop of a BBS for 14 years and have nowhere near the tolerance you guys have shown. As you said this sort of thing has always been volunteer and as my BBS was on a line I paid for, equipment I paid for and in my living room I played GOD. One warning, next transgression I just press three keys and I never saw them again. haha.

Several boards used access levels to keep the quality levels high. Let the ankies play in the sandbox whilst the grown ups go inside. Then naturally the inner sanctums.

I doubt that would work well in a web based forum like this though. Anyway thanks again for your efforts, they are appreciated.

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Being a person that lives in a country that respects freedom of speech, we get used to being able to voice our opinion.

I guess one thing that most people forget is that most on-line forums (like the BBS before them) are benevolent dictatorships. You stay or go based on the attitudes of a moderator, or small group of moderators.

Sometimes when you read a post in the General Area of a Forum where the Posters ideas are so far from yours you wonder how on earth he could have come to believe what he believes and you react to it. We forget that each person has different life experiences and some have been sheltered or through no fault of their own, have been unable to travel and view first hand what live in other parts of the world are like. It has been my priveledge to have been able to travel and experience different cultures and to see how attitudes in what some Euporeans still call "The New World" are behind the European norm. North america seems to be concerned with the big $$$$$. Europeans are concerned with People, at least the ones I visited.

We all need to remember that here freedom of speech is an oxymoron. It is the moderators who are in charge of the asylum. :p :wave: :thumb:

F

Fred_M

Originally posted by Will_annand

Sometimes when you read a post in the General Area of a Forum where the Posters ideas are so far from yours you wonder how on earth he could have come to believe what he believes and you react to it. We forget that each person has different life experiences and some have been sheltered or through no fault of their own, have been unable to travel and view first hand what live in other parts of the world are like. It has been my priveledge to have been able to travel and experience different cultures and to see how attitudes in what some Euporeans still call "The New World" are behind the European norm. North america seems to be concerned with the big $$$$$. Europeans are concerned with People, at least the ones I visited.

So you are saying all North Americans are ignorant money grubbers who are inferior to Europeans and we are just a backward lot? So why are you over here wallowing with us swine? Go back to the enlightened promise land if you have such a low opinion of us and our ways. I wish you a happy trip. FRED:D

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Here is an example, I was stating a generalized viewpoint that I have formulated through years of dealing with people around the globe. I specified no one in my post, I never said that ALL people were as I described, I was generalising about different "Societies" as a whole.

Then someone reads my comments, sees something in it that he/she identifies with and gets all excited and defensive.

what is that old saying "Be thinks he doth protest too much"

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Agreed jon, :thumb: no one can change an opinion over night that has been formulated over years.

Let us just say that not everyone shares the same opinions, just as not everyone models the same era/location/scale in the hobby.

Each is chosen based on your life's experiences.

Nuff said, let's get back to running a business and layout planning in my case and what ever it is the rest of you do... get to work. :D

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Here's the Kicker...

I was thinking some more on the subject of inequal justice, which started this thread in the first place.

Two things come to mind.

If the Police and security had moved in to arrest Janet for indecent exposure and/or any other infraction....

It would likely spark a riot!!!

The fans at the stadium would have freaked out if she got arrested!!

Some would have been in favour of the arrest and some against, and the crowd would have started beating on each-other.

From a security point of view, it would have been mayhem to try and enforce the law, so it was safer to let things slide.

The other thing that comes to my mind is that since this "act" was pre-planned.... I'm sure that all the legal eagles that are employed by Janet and Justin knew in advance just how far they could go...

There is likely a legal loophole that they took advantage of.

Aside from the Constitutional right to freedom of expression that would have bogged the whole thing down in court....

There is also likely a loophole that says that it is okey to bare a single breast. Just not both. So that way, nursing mothers don't get arrested for feeding their babies.

And/or:

It is okey to bare a breast, as long as the n!PP!e is covered. Like back in the 80's with Punk-Rocker Wendie O'Williams and her judicious use of electrical tape.

So, the bottom line is that from a legal stand point, I'm sure they had it covered....

And Morally.... That's a completly different kettle of fish...