Disco!

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
These are all brass, except for the NBWs and the axels (P2K metal wheelsets). I used brass as much as possible for weight. Shamus gave me hte old brass trucks a long time ago. Too bad these old brass trucks are no longer available. If I were to do another set, I would use some kadee trucks which are just as weighty.

Also I used no solder. Partly, because I didn't feel like soldering, and partly because a lot of you don't like to solder, and I thought I would see if I couold work effectively with brass without solder. I used gel CA.

Attachments

• disco-1.jpg
    disco-1.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 376

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hey Jon, They look really great, you have made a great job on those trucks.
shamus

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Thanks, folks, Ty they are HO scale. Belg, they are called "disconnects" and are used for log loads. They are used in pairs, and they work like a skeleton log carrier, but the two "ends" disconnect, and are seperated a distance that is determined by log length. Usually they have no brakes, so I left them off.

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
They look absolutely great!!! Have you had an opportunity to track-test them yet? That is, did the brass provide enough weight to track well when empty? I certainly hope so--lots of work in them. --Stu--

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Haven't run 'em yet, but they weigh 3/4 oz, and I think they will track well. We won't speed test tehm in tunnels though, I can see going in with four and coming' out with three. I did sneak in some lead, and there's room for more inside, plus under.

Pete, if you are going to make some, I can list the materials. Rectangle tube, channel and rod in standard sizes from Menards. Kadees slip right in after an ear-ectomy and using a .015 shim instead of the upper part of the box.

This is an easy project, anyone can do it. All hand tools, no soldering, dremel and/or small drill and/or small drill press usefull, but it can all be done by hand.

I did all the cutting with a Ryobi "dremel"/cut-off wheel (don't ya love it whenthey explode?) and drilling with a small drill press, but you could do it with a lot less. I'll even draw plans if anyone wnat's 'em, but if you just go at it, you'll do swell.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
Crazy glue, not California glue!

I had 1 NBW fall off after they sat in the garage overnight, and I handled them early in the 40 deg F weather. This was before painting. I hope they hold up too.

Perhaps instant epoxy, for those who don't have 5 minutes, would be a more stable choice.

I failed to explain: there is a small bolt going down the center holding the truck and all the "structural" parts together. Kadees are held in place by a press fit brass pin. CA holds the NBWs in place as well as the support rods. Also, the bunks are made of "C" channel, which is held by the center bolt, and the part with the points (cleats? what ever) is cut from rectangular tube and CA'd to the "C" channel. Simple design, lotsa words to 'splain it :D

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Ooh ooh ooh!! Jon, those are beuts! :cool: I've really gotta come out of lurking more often, look at all this stuff I've missed!

Did you say you would come up with a drawing and parts list if anybody wanted them? Oh boy, that would be me. If you would, that be just jim-dandy! I could use about a dozen or so of those lil' fellers.

Thanks!

Stan