disassembling

pupparo

Jul 12, 2001
Jensen Beach Fl USA
Visit site
Does anyone have a method for removing roofs on plastic buildings. I need to remove a roof so I can install a hopper in side the building. I have to tell you it is really glued. Don't know what type glue used since I bought the building assembled.
Thanks for any thoughts:confused:

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
I don't think you are going to get a satisfactory answer to that question. If the building was assembled using styrene cement, the plastic pieces were essentially welded together. That means you are going to have to cut the pieces apart, which ain’t gonna be pretty.

George

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Since your building was pre-assembled, it might be that the walls and roof were molded as one piece, making it even more difficult to seperate them.

If you are really determined to do this, you might try heating the blade of an xacto knife and see if you can't seperate them that way. Remember, this is just a suggestion. I've not ever tried this so if it doen't work, don't blame me...:D :eek:

Don

F

Fred_M

Try 1/2 drop of nitro. You only get one chance though. Some preassembled building are heat melted together. Most are welded with solvent (glue). Sawing is about it. DASH

C

Catt

What type of building are we dicussing here.Do you have a picture of it or a simular one? It would be much easier to advise you as to an effective method of doing what you want to do.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
If the glue is old, then it usually can come apart by CAREFULLY working the joint. I redo many older, previously assembled buildings and find it not too difficult to do. Newer joints can often be parted by carefully running a sharp knife along the joint, then working it apart as before. The key word is patience, it can be done.

P

philip

A product called oops will separate testors and tenax. Works for me. Test a small area first.

philip

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Originally posted by jon-monon
Pretty big fine print, Don :D :D :D
Uh, I write technical manuals and proposals and this is kinda a standard high-tech weezle-word disclaimer that you'll find in just about everything you buy nowdays. Only as you implied, it is normally in about one-half point type :p :p :p

Don

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
Try this.

hammer.jpg

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by pupparo
Does anyone have a method for removing roofs on plastic buildings. I need to remove a roof so I can install a hopper in side the building. I have to tell you it is really glued. Don't know what type glue used since I bought the building assembled.
Thanks for any thoughts:confused:

Try running a brush dipped in liquid Poly cement along the edge, it should soften the edges enough for you to remove it, before it re-glues it. I have done it before.
Shamus

F

Fred_M

Too much labor, try this...

Attachments

• jackhammer.gif
    jackhammer.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 88
F

Fred_M

That explosion picture looks like a mad cow getting ate by the thing. DASH