Disappointed Railway Show

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Our club learned of the Pacific Northwest Narrow Guage meet was going to be held on Sat. nov 11th near us, soooo a group of us piled into some vehicles and two hours later arrived at the hotel just after 12 noon. We were met with a sign that all was closed until 1:15pm for lunch..okey no problem, so we went for lunch..arriving back at 1:20pm. We walked into a small display room, not all that much there but what was there was very well done, so lets take a good look. At 1:25pm we were not asked but told to leave as room is closed???? Closed???? Their explanation was that the only display room is closed for one and half hours while everyone goes to the clinic in the next room and the display room is only open for up to 15 minutes between clinics. So anyone who shows up to view the displays can only view them when the clinics are not on and have less than 15 mins ??? Yes!! Could they not leave someone in the display room for the public to drop in and see the displays?? The person that we were speaking with had the attitude: That is the way we set it up and you don't like it thats your problem not ours !!!!
The clinics that were on were ones that no one in our group was interested in, so we advised the small number of people that were there as to our displeasure and this is not the best way to promote the hobby nor the narrow guage portion of the hobby.
The reply we got was oh well so sad your not happy, bye.. so we left very disappointed.
I am positive that I plus others will not be attending any of their future events, nor will recomend their events to anyone.
On the up side, on the way back dropped into a few hobby shops which made the day not a total loss.
Sorry for the lengthy venting...Ron..

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Gee, I guess this group of Narrow Gaugers took the Narrow Minded nick name to heart :( Sorry you didn't have much fun, Ron, sure sounds like a bum show to outsiders. Kinda makes me wonder why they bother with the show part of the show. :confused: :confused: :confused:

"No Parking on the parkway"

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I know how you feel Ron...sometimes the most uptight, anti-social people somehow end up in charge of these events...:rolleyes: :confused:
I've walked into similar situations myself in the "MRR club world"
It never ceases to amaze me how some people can adopt uptight, angry, condecending, & bitter attitudes about a hobby that is supposed to be just a way to express some creativity, & have some fun!:(
Oh well, hang in there Ron...the next time it'll be better! :)

TrainClown

Apr 17, 2003
Saskatchewan, Canada
Visit site
Big clown let down

I joined the Gauge a wile back and have gotten so much inspiration here. I like positive people and sharing my ideas.

So all full of hope I was happy to find a web page for the local MRRC, and looked forward all summer untill things started up again in the fall. I hoped I would meet some like minded enthusiasts.

But what a let down!!!!!!!! I went to a club meeting last Monday. Not one person spoke to me or said hello. There are only 22 members and only 6 were there. And I was not pleased with the layout they had there. Bushleage, and that is all I will say about that! I smiled and said hello but there was little responce and cold looks. I was there for about half an hour or so. I asked the club presedent (I think) if he ever went to railroad forums on the internet (I didn't mention The Gauge in name) and he said "We don't DO that INTERNET stufff around here!!" so I left.

I never will never go back.

I feel at home here on The Gauge :)

Dissapointed, in some ways.

TrainClown

Zug

Sep 16, 2003
www.zugdcc.com
I went to my first show/swap meet a few weeks ago. It was advertised to be open from 10am to 4pm. I got there about 2pm and some of the dealers were already starting to pack up, it was a big show, but I've ben to one before so I can be sure. And by the time I waked the four rows some of the dealers starting to leave.

I talk to somebody from the local N-scale club, I didn't et anything out of the conversation that would make me consider joing. :(

On the good side, I bought a set of 6 CN glasses for $25 (Canadian $), a couple place setting on CN sliverware, well stainless steel. And a working "neon " hotel sigh that very impressive.

So I bought some nice stuff at least, the dealers were a mixxed bag some friendly, some there were lumps that just kind of sat there....

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
I think I know how you feel.The same thing happen to me once some years ago at a local PRR meet..In this case though the displays was only open from 10.00am-12.00 pm the re-mainer of the day was so boring I left.You see they had the "expert" flapping his bean hopper about the PRR operation rules and other finer points of railroadin' on the PRR..The only problem is he was so far off base it was all I could do from having my say after all I was a brakeman on the old PRR and knew the rules and how we did things but as a gentleman I decided to leave.

Ron,I know that is a bitter pill to shallow but I would not let that stop me from going to another NG meet set up by another organization.

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
A "Stuffed Shirt" Event ???

Hi Ron, As a long time narrow gauger all I can say is SHAME ON THEM!!....That was not the way to run an event!! The NG meets and shows that I have attended have always been well run and the folks putting them on seemed to go out of their way to make them an enjoyable experience. I do hope that for the future it did not put a sour taste in your mouth for narrow guage modeling!!! Sounds to me like there was an extreme lack of planing and just plain old common courtesey.

Without a doubt the group that put this event on were the losers and not your group that went out your ways to attend!!!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Ron, it sounds to me like they only had this event for themselves. In which case they should have just had it in someone's basement. Cranky attitudes do nothing to promote the hobby or make new friends -- what a waste!

Hope you didn't have to pay to get in! If you did, I hope you got your money back.

cheers
Val

farmer ron

Jan 18, 2002
B.C., canada
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your comments, unfortunately it sounds like I am not the only one to experience this type of attitude.
It just anoyed us for a short time until we got to the hobby shops and a different attitude imerged,but this will not be forgoten and I know for a fact I will not be going back to anything that that group puts on..
Val, did not have to pay, thank goodness, or yes would have gotten out money back..
Train clown..if ya come out west and drop into our club I guarentee you will not be ignored. When we have an open house we have one, if not two, persons that do nothing but mingle with the people that are attending. We walk around just talking with people, asking them about their interests and their layouts if they have one and yes we encourage people to browse through the internet in any train form that they choose. Yes I also promote this forum as one the of best and friendlyist..
The good times are ahead as there are three show comming up in our area and in the past they have been excellent..take care all and happy railroading...got the day off, house work and farm work is done so it down to the train room...Ron..