Diosol

Jim de Bree

Jan 21, 2002
Valencia, CA
Visit site
Bix stripper

I'd be really careful about using Bix stripper or any similar stripper on plastic models. That stuff is pretty caustic and probably would eat throught styrene and most other plastics.

R.B. Turner

May 20, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Visit site
Guys, I am going to experiment with Bix. I just got a pile of shells via eBay and there are about 8 F unit bodies in there painted in that certain "out west" RR...you know the war bonnet one? Anyway, one of those is going to be designated as a guinea pig and going in the Bix. I will report in on the results. I think I will get the ELO and give it a real try though.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Randy - I've heard of brake fluid being used as well. One thing, though - what might work well one time might well be a disaster the next. There are many different kinds of plastics that are used, and the vary as how to they will react with the different paint removers.

R.B. Turner

May 20, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Visit site
Thanks Billk. I have always used brake fluid in the past and I did leave the steps off an Alco in the tank once. They just disappeared. I am 46 years old and still learning more and more every day.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
One trick that I read was to use Floquil for the basic paintwork and use waterbased for the weathering. That way, you can wash it off if you don't like it without destroying the basic paint job.
Also suggested using Floquil as undercoat or first colour on metal parts.