dioramas?

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
I saw an article in MR

About using multiple dioramas to build an entire layout. Or at least sections of it.

You can "super-detail" the scene while sitting comfortably at your workbench and then plug it into your layout.

This also allows you to bring parts of your layout to Train-shows and enter them into contests.

Or use them in natural sunlight for photography..

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
13Mtrainer said:
thats a little out of my price range for now. well last night i was drawling on up and i realized i dont know how big to make it? i was looking at make 2 one of them would be 1' by 2' for making scenery on. while the other one would be 2' by 3' for working with mountains. what sized would be good for that? i am also working in HO.

If they are just scraps for practicing (scenicking, and mountain making) then use any scraps you may have. I built mine on a ~8" by 12" chunk of 1/2" ply I found in my shop.

If you visit building sites, they have all kinds of scrap, including dimensional lumber, plywood, and (depending where) pink or blue foam. They will probably let you have all you can carry, but ASK FIRST at the site office - mostly for your safety on the site.

Andrew