Diioramas..the way to learn

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by kettlestack, Jan 28, 2002.

1. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

For the benefit of newbies I thought I would post my first attempts at N scale modelling.
    I had read the books, drooled over other guys pics but didn't have the nerve to invest in something big if I found I didn't have the skill to make something look good.
    So I started with a diorama!
    This was done 30 yrs ago when colour printing would cost an arm and a leg! :) hence the B/W photos. All but the water tank was scratchbuilt.
    The tip? ..... Start small with something that can fit into your eventual thoughts on a layout :p

Errol

Attached Files:

2. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

This is the other end of the diorama:-

Attached Files:

3. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

30 years ago?????? Impressive! Would love to see that in color.:)
  4. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Very very nice kettlestack, Black & White photo's can sometimes be better than colour.
    What are you doing now kettlestack, making another one.

Shamus
    [​IMG]
  5. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

That looks like some really fine work, kettlestack! :cool:
    Would love to see more, & whatever you're up to these days!
    Do you still have that diorama?
  6. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Thanks for the compliments guys, yes Charlie I still have it, it was covered in dust!
    I decided to ressurect it and use my digital camera on it to show it in colour. I used lowest resolution so as to keep the filesize down.
    Looking back on it I'm not as happy as I was 30 yrs ago though ..:(
    I can see it's the shortcomings now.

Errol

Attached Files:

7. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Here's Callen's Feed and grain, simple scribed styrene and corruated tin !!

Attached Files:

8. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Now I'm working on an HO diorama, only been at it for a week (wish I could work as fast as Shamus :) )

I couldn't resist trying to put smoke and steam into it using Paint Shop Pro.

But I'm stuck for ideas on shanty type buildings in HO to really get a nostalgic feel into it. They will have to be made of timber.

Well, now you know what I'm up to.... apart from an HO switching layout that is in the very early stages.

Errol

Attached Files:

9. Tyson Rayles

Tyson Rayles Active Member

:D I'm still impressed!
  10. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I'm still impressed too!
    Would love to see some pics of the switching layout...finished or not! :cool:
    When you say your needing some shanty-type buildings...I assume you mean RR related structures? (i.e. line-side sheds, etc...?)
    Here's one that I've always wanted to try...
    This might be interesting to you, since it's a UK prototype...
    It's an old passenger car converted into a "messroom" at a place called Tilbury...the photo dates from 1961

Attached Files:

11. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Thanks Charlie, your pic is just the ticket!
    Youve triggered my thoughts to "same-as" your pic and also a shorty old timer coach done up as a diner.

My HO layout is as the pic below but the track has only been layed out using Atlas Code 83 set track to give a feel for what fits and is not pinned down. When I'm happy with it I'll use flexi track. The turntable has already been set into the layout base.
    There's a 7ft x1ft switching yard on the right hand end forming an "L" for preparing trains to the main layout.
    I've just read UPGUY's post about preparing the room before starting anything.... Heck, I should have done that!!!!!!!!

Shamus ... (Hint :) ) I need a control panel quick! :D :D
    Oh and btw, I used your sugested method of using wallpaper paste with ballast in the HO diorama... good thinking there Shamus, thanks. It works a treat!!

Errol

Attached Files:

12. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Errol,
    Your wish is my command, here's your control panel. It is full size for an A4 sheet of paper.

Have fun.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Wow Shamus, that was quick! but you missed the point :)
    I put in the "hint" for a complete, pre-wired control panel .... (I'm rolling on the floor laughing here) :D :D :D

You see, it was an afterthought in my post having seen just how rapidly you put your own panel into operation... :D :D :D

Ah well, I'll dream on and get my tools out .. (I can see I'll have to do it myself).

(I just love humour):)

Errol
  14. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Pay my FARE over, and I will gladly make and wire it for you :D ;)
    ;)
    Shamus:rolleyes:
    [​IMG]