Digitrax Towerr 55 engine

xtcrr

Feb 7, 2006
Just purchased a tower 55 BASF engine w/sound built in..
everything works on the engine except the lights any of the lights....
wondering if anyone else is having this problem, cleared out the Digitrax zypher unit
still doesnt work, i have tried this on the programing track and the main line...
I take the unit into the shop where i purchased it and the lights work fine...

any clue?

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
If the you have turned the lights on and they don't work it usually indicates that there is a speed step mismatch between what the command unit is sending and what the decoder is looking for or the lights are no longer functioning, however they work elsewhere so you are left with a speed step mismatch.

xtcrr

Feb 7, 2006
support tower55

This is the fix just incase anyone else has this problem:

what I suspect is that your model's 4 digit address was probably programmed by yourself or your hobby shop using either paged or direct mode programming on a programming track. This does not work well, because sound decoders are not suited well to programming in the low voltage programming track environment, which prevents them from receiving complete programming information. My guess now is that the motor control on your decoder received the new address information, but the lighting control did not. To test this theory, I would see if you have motor control but no lights on address 5389 and light control but no motor control on address 03. If this is the case, then you need to do a factory reset of the decoder to default values to get all of the programming back to its baseline.

To do this:

1. place the locomotive on the programming track. (Note: The factory reset is the only programming that you should perform on the programming track, otherwise all programming should be done on the main track)
2. Press the PROG key until you reach direct "dir" mode programming.
3. Press the CV STEPS key (The display will show "t###" with the # symbols replaced by actual digits)
4. Enter 08 using the numeric keypad
5. Press the CV STEPS key (The display should show "d008")
6. Enter 08 using the numeric keypad
7. Press the CV WR key (The display should blink and then return to solid)
8. Repeat step 7 three to five times to ensure that the low voltage programming signal has been received by all systems in the decoder
9. Press EXIT

The decoder should now be reset to factory defaults and all functions should operate correctly on address 03.

Now, to change the address to the 4 digit address 5386 (This is the factory road #, not 5389), use the following instructions:

1. Place the locomotive on the main track and select address 03
2. Operate the locomotive in forward & reverse to ensure that it is running correctly.
3. Stop the locomotive.
4. Press the PROG key until you see "Ops" in the display to enter Operations mode programming on the main track.
5. Press the CV STEPS key (The display will show "o###" with the # symbols replaced by actual digits)
6. Enter 17 using the numeric keypad
7. Press the CV STEPS key (The display should show "d017")
8. Enter 213 using the numeric keypad
9. Press the CV WR key (The display should blink and then return to solid and the locomotive should chuff one time)
10. Press the EXIT key
11. Press the PROG key until you see "Ops" in the display to enter Operations mode programming on the main track.
12. Press the CV STEPS key (The display will show "o###" with the # symbols replaced by actual digits)
13. Enter 18 using the numeric keypad
14. Press the CV STEPS key (The display should show "d018")
15. Enter 010 using the numeric keypad
16. Press the CV WR key (The display should blink and then return to solid and the locomotive should chuff one time)
17. Press the EXIT key
18. Press the PROG key until you see "Ops" in the display to enter Operations mode programming on the main track.
19. Press the CV STEPS key (The display will show "o###" with the # symbols replaced by actual digits)
20. Enter 29 using the numeric keypad
21. Press the CV STEPS key (The display should show "d029")
22. Enter 038 using the numeric keypad
23. Press the CV WR key (The display should blink and then return to solid and the locomotive should chuff one time)
24. Press the EXIT key

You should hear the locomotive sounds shut down after a few seconds

The locomotive is now set up to use the 4 digit address 5386. To test that all has been programmed well, select 5386 as the address on your throttle. The locomotive sound should start up and you should have control of the locomotive. To turn the lights on, press the F0 key and then the F3 key. This should set the lights to operate as they are intended to.