Digitrax Sound for Kato AC4400 and F40PH

Acela82

Jun 4, 2005
Dresden, Germany
Hi guys,

a friend of mine has problem and maybe somebody can help. He has a Kato F40PH and as well an AC4400. For each unit, he bought the matching Digitrax Sound Decoder. Now we made a comparision and found out that both sounds are exactly the same. Our idea is, the F40PH decoder has the wrong sound files installed. Are these sound decoders capable of storing both sounds so you can choose which one you would like to have changing just a CV?

Any help would be nice...

Thanks, Michael

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
I went to Digitrax's site and looked at the manual for the soundFX decoder.. Looks like you will have to load a new sound file to the decoder using their PR2 programming unit if you want to change the engine sounds. My impression from looking at the manual is that you can't change the recorded engine sounds just by changing CVs..

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Based on my experience with SoundTraxx's "generic" sound decoders (steam and diesel)you may be able to choose between sets of sounds for whistle/horn, chuff/rumble, etc. For example, my steam sound decoder has three choices for whistle, bell, and you can also set the bell ring rate, etc.

Andrew