Digitals Yamato

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Just a quick up date on the lattice work for the crane.

Finished the build on it.
Just some joint cleaning to do as it's been so long since I last done work this small I mucked up some joints. It is strong enough to take a rubbing down without problems.

Then I will paint it with a matt paint used for plastic models. it won't be fixed down yet as it may get damaged.

More later tonight

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Back again
Added some of the deck fittings and some touch up work.

Not much more to do on the stern, another four to fives hours work should see this section done

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Just a note with regards to the next ship to build.

If any one has any more ideas please lets have them by the Sat 12th July. The reason is I think Yamato will be in the last stages of construction then and I will need time to get ref material together if it turns out not to be in kit form.

So any more ideas lets have them, I will cast my vote then.
So far Missouri has it with two votes!! (should keep Jim happy) :lol:

Yamato build up date later

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Rob,

So, Missouri is in the lead? Super!! :D
Did you locate a kit yet? Let me know, if that is the one, if you haven't been able to locate a kit yet (assuming you are going to build one of the out of print GPM kits) and I might be able to help. 8)

You did mean Saturday, July 10th, right? :wink:

Just about finished with Mexico Victory and hope to post some of the finished photos tonight...I just have to add those little life rafts along the cargo boom shrouds and that's it! Did the last railing work today, and they seem to have come out okay.

Then, on to the USF Constitution!! :D

Jim

Ron

Jan 12, 2004
Toronto, Canada
Rob

What a brilliant job! I hope I am as successful with the Graf Spee as you are here. If you're not up to a solderng tutorial, I might be able to squeeze one in tomorrow after the football game if anyone is interested.
It's another one of those things that the Burns Sr. passed on to me:)
What gauge wire did you use for the lattice? If a job doesn't come my way soon, all the railings on my ship will be done that way

All the best!
Ron

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
:D

Jim

Yes I did mean Sat 10th. I had been looking at construction drawings for a job due to start on Mon 12th. I have written that date loads of times to day it was automatic :roll:

Ron

I don't mind doing it, but it would be at least a few days before I could get round to it as I have so much on (Yamato, design on Tennesse, Two kids, and that nasty thing called work). My grandfather showed me the tricks with the soldering iron. The ones you had to put into a flame to heat up.

The wire I used for the lattice work was 0.25mm coax cable core. Yamato does not have a lot of rails due to the blast given off by the main guns. The few she does have I will try to do these out of 0.20mm wire

Always willing to help in any way I can

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Started to fit some of the forward deck fittings while I wait for the second catapult to dry. The dif in the shade on the deck is that the deck kinks downwards at this point.

The upper bridge has only just been started with a lot of work to do to get it to look right.

The last photo is of some artists water colours my wife bought me due to the fact that anything that will hold paint, can lids, egg cups and small bowls keep going missing. I think this is her hint that she is fed up with it.
Good way of getting the other half to buy my paints :lol:

More latter

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Looks better all the time Rob has the wife started leaving leaflets about shed's lying about yet.

Embroidery holders one day paints the next thing you will be building aircraft and putting perspex in the oven and getting away with it.

No comments from you wunwing I know what's coming on that one

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

Did once use the oven to make a styrene mold for a ships hull for a mate.
Never heard the end of it :lol:

She still says she could smell the plastic for a week.
These things just have to be done :lol:

Regards

Rob

T

Texman

Looking good! Just love these building threads. I do like the
watercolors you got there. Where did your wife acquire these?

...and I have never noticed a styrene smell...

Ray

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
:D

Ray

I have never noticed any smell either, but you know females can notice things us mortals can't :lol:
Still goes on about it now and then :roll:
If only she new the full extent :twisted:

Regards

Rob

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi all

Just small stuff done tonight, bollards ect.
the reason for the crane in the air is I want to hang a plane from it after I rig the crane up.

Main work left to do now is the island section and the last of the hose reels. And of course loads of touch up work.

More later

Regards

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Rob

May sound a silly comment with all the other great bits around but that is a really, really good hose reel, the rest of course is top class anyway.

barry

Renaud

Feb 12, 2004
Lille, northern France
watercolours bought by wife

Take care: the most expensive they are, the longest they last. ( I paint with watercolours for twenty years)
And about printing, I had an experience with postcards a shopseller complained to me about : so I decide to hide half the surface of my postcards and let them exposed to the sun. Afte only two weeks, some of them, all offset-printed, had already faded and turned out to blue, on the contrary others, offset printed too, but elsewhere, are just as they were in the beginning, and it is now one month since I let them under sunrays! Although I am sure about the result, which seems definitive to me, I go on and my best postcards will still remain under the sun until they begin, in turn, to fade out.
Before I did this experiment, I believed that the lasting of the colours only depended upon the printing method. I did not suspected anything about the quality of the inks.

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Renaud

Know what you mean about the nasty UV rays destroying all are hard work. Before I started the build I sealed the pages with a fix it spray used by artists for charcoal drawings. After the build is finished I will give a good shot with an anti-UV spray.

I will do all I can to stop the rays wrecking it.

Thanks for the reminder though.

Regards

Rob