Digitals Yamato

jrts

Hi all

Just a quick one tonight to see what I'am up to.
Had a go at one of the sea planes.
I will use Barrys idea with regards to photos today to get better pics or change my camera!

This is the first of four to build, the size of a match stick. It's hard to build with tree trunks as fingers.

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Hi, Rob!
Nice little airplane you got there...how did you manage it without going blind?
What brand of circle cutter is that you have posted a photo of?
Trying to find a nice one, not too complicated, but one that can cut a whole range of circles. What is the minimum size it will cut without causing fits? :wink:
I meant to comment earlier about how great those funnel pipes came out for you...great job!
Jim

barry

Hi Rob

If you can leave the rod you wound the fuselage in place and fit the engine bulkhead last, you can use as a handle to hold the plane while fiddling with wings and floatts do not forget the pin holes to hold the strut wires.

Teaching Granny to suck eggs.

barry

Ajax

jrts said:
Not much done tonight as it took ages to sort out the pipes.
But it was well worth it - the funnel looks great, Rob! :D The airplane is shaping up nicely as well... those are those 1 foot matchsticks for lighting grills, right? ;) :lol:

A.J.

jrts

:D

Did some more on the aircraft.
Three built now and my eyes have gone.
Will have a go at a catapult next, as I have not figured out how I want to do the props and rudder yet.

More tonight

Regards

Rob

P.S JIm
The cutter is a "Crimson and blake" it will cut out a dia of 5mm through 1mm card no probs

jrts

Hi all

Started the aircraft equipment.

It took 4hrs to cut the crane jib out, fold and glue it to get to this stage.
The length of it is 8cm or approx 3in.
Still to go on the crane jib are the pully wheels and cables.

More tonight

Regards

Rob

bwallaw

Nice work. These jobs require such exacting work, it always amazes me to see someone compete it so skillfully. Enjoying the build!

jrts

Hi all

Nearly finished the crane, just the mast to go on top.
In the base there are 35 parts alone plus 4 in the jib and about the same number 35 parts in the mast. it takes quite a bit of time to get them right.

More tonight

Regards

Rob

jrts

Hi Barry

Normal regular JPS cig, it is 9.5cm from tip of jib to the back of the base.
A real hard tweezer job.

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Wow, Rob!
Excellent work in cutting out that crane!! :shock:
As Barry said, 4 hours VERY well spent, to be sure!
I'm not that experienced in paper modeling but that has to be one of the more difficult tasks, cutting out all those little void spaces without making one cut too long and messing the whole thing up.
This is a very enjoyable thread, and I want you to know your postings and photos are very much appreciated! :D
Jim

jrts

Thanks Jim, more tonight.
And why do bits you loose always land dark side up, never white side :?: :?:

Regards

Rob

jrts

Hi all

Here again!!

Built one of the catapults tonight.

A lot of cutting out again, what I do with parts like this is to cut out the voids and score the bend lines. After this I then soak it in super glue, let it dry then bend and glue it together. This gives a very rigid finish to the part and will take a bit of punishment before it busts.

More tonight

Regards

Rob

JRSeese

With such good results, I have to delve deeper. Can you clarify "soak in super glue?" Help me to visualize your technique - Do you literally have a reservior of CA that you put the piece into, or do you just brush the stuff on liberally...?

The stuff makes me a nervous wreck, I make such a mess with aleene's as it is, would be like juggling nitroglycerin in my hands

Josh

jrts

Hi Josh

If you look on page three of this thread you will see in photo 128, three kinds of glue.
The first is the supper glue with a home made nozel on it, I never use a brush for the stuff as I would spend more time cleaning it up than building.
Also this is a contact super glue, it does not use an activator to set it of.

All I do is turn the part over so it's white side up and run the nozel down the thick part of the paper allowing it to soak into the smaller parts in its own time. then just leave it to dry. (DON'T HOLD IT IN YOUR HANDS) use tweesers, if it does stick to them. Run a sharpe blade along the edge of the tweezers and it will come off.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rob

jrts

Hi all

Giving it a rest from cutting small bits out tonight, so had a go at the bases for the secondary guns, four to do.

These have been built out of 0.75mm card due to the amount of parts that go on them. The bottom of the guns has not been glued yet as I still have to fit the blast covers, 12 in total. Loads of paint work to do as well.

A tought for all watching this thread, what model would most like to see built next. Keep in mind that I like ships that took part in the second world war, although not rigid :?:

More tonight when I come in from work.

Regards

Rob

barry

how about Prince of Wales then ? there are plenty of add on bits available.

Guns look good as usual

barry