Digitals Yamato

jrts

Jim

That block is 4mm length 2mm width.
Picked that size so it would show up better in the photo, my camera is not that good with close ups.
The other block with the three holes in is 3mm dia.
The pin was 6mm length.

Regards

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Great sizes!
Now, of course when you said the "block with three holes", you meant to say deadeye, right? :wink:

Okay, so how do you make these little gems?
I still have to figure out what size blocks I'm going to need on Constitution but I'll get back to you, starting with the gun tackles.
Thank you so very much!!

About the closeup shots...do you have a zoom lens? If not, you might not be able to get closer than about half a meter before it gets out of focus. If you have a zoom, you can back out of that box which is less than the lens focal length and then zoom in for a close up...do I sound like I know what I'm talking about? :lol: Of course, you can do what Barry and I do, take the best and closest in focus shot and then play with it on Photoshop to enlarge it...God bless Photo Shop! :D
Jim

jrts

Hi Jim

Very easy to make, I call them blocks so all know what we are on about.
Little me was a seaman on amunition ships and landing craft for 6 years.

Right all I do is pick the shape and numberof holes for the "block".
Lets say the dead eye,

I take three small wires mount them in the right position for the holes and "block" size on a lump of ply wood. Then using paper not card (a good paper) cut loads of shape for the block. Then thread them on to the wires, the holes are made with the smallest needle I can find. Don't push it all the way through the paper, just brake the surface so you can push the wire in without bending it. Glue each layer as you go.

Compress it as much as you can without flattening it, leave it to almost dry and then run the needle round the outside to get the grove. leave to dry and while it's still on the wires paint it with a wood stain and leave to dry again and you now have a "block"

Takes a bit of time to get it right.

hope this came out right :?

Regards

Rob

barry

Rob

did you cut each one individually or did you fold the paper for a bit of mass production

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Rob,
Just so I understand you procedure, you use the wire as the holes through which the line is later rove?
And so you build up the block with layers of these small pieces of paper until you get the thickness you need for that block?
Why do you not push the paper layers onto the wire all the way through...it is obvious I must have missed something. :?
If you are doing a single or double block, the procedure is the same as with the deadeye?
I take it the arrangement of the wires is what determines where the line will run when the block is finished, so two wires for double blocks, one for single block, etc.?
Sorry for so many questions, your explanation was quite good, I'm just a little dense around this time of night. :wink:
Jim

jrts

Hi all

Barry

The bits are all cut not folded as it is impossible to fiddle with the wires in the small gap left after it has been folded. It' at most 4mm remember tweezer job :shock:

Jim

Right on all counts except the holes are made with a very small needle, thats what you missed :wink:
The reason for not putting the needle right through is to produce as little stress on the paper as possible. Imagin punching, trying to make 15 holes all the same and line them all up. The less you poke the paper the less stress. Plus putting the needle through leaves a dint on the other side!!!
All this needs to be a flat as possible.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rob

jrts

Hi all

Just two quick photos to show the detail that Roman has put into this thing.

The first ones shows two vents that have been made and fitted, the detail in these is quite good considering in the second photo you cover them up.
To see the vents you have to stoop and look hard.

There are a lot of parts to this model that you build and then almost cover up, just to give the right effect.

It's a dam good design.

More later

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Damn good work, Ron!

It's the little things that, when completed, will give her the realism that will make her even more outstanding than she is now, and she's pretty outstanding even at this stage.

From what you say and have shown, this is an outstanding model! It never ceases to amaze me how much research and work must go into a model on this level of design craftsmanship, I can't even imagine the time and effort it takes to design something this awesome, and yet they are so relatively inexpensive! How does he do it?? Roman is for sure one of the few elite designers we are lucky to have around producing such superb kits! :D

I wonder what projects he has on the drawing board and if any of them include a modern warship? :?

A Spruance class ship would be great, or what say he raises the stakes and creates one of the Missouri class battleships...I know, I'm sounding like a old record, but maybe he's listening? :wink:

Oh, and great photos, Rob!! :D
Jim

jrts

Back again

Done a bit more on the old touch up and deck fittings, just two hose and cable reels to go on then the mid section fittings will be finished.

The bridge island has not been glued down yet as still quite a bit of work to do on this yet.

More later

Regards

Rob

jrts

Hi all

Does anyone know of a good kit of USS Missouri out there, bigger the better as it looks as if this is going to be the next build. Unless you know better????

Last day for ideas is only two days away.

More build later

Regards

Rob

barry

Rob

Looks better every time I would love to see a picture of her outside in the sun, that's if you can find a long enough plank to sit her on.

barry

jrts

Hi all

Back again for a quick up-date.

The first photo is just to get Jims fix for the night out the way :lol:

Started to fit the smaller AA guns tto the sponson, loads of these to do :shock:

Also building the other parts of the island up from stern to forward. The is a lot of small fittings to do search lights, guns, wing bridges that this section is going to take a few days to complete :roll:

More later

Regards

Rob

jrts

Next build ideas

Sat the 10th at 8pm will be when I look at what to build next :?:

This is the way it stands:-

• Royal Sovereign 1 vote
    Prince of Wales 1 vote
    USS Missouri 2 votes
    USS Arizona 1 vote
    USS Texas 1 vote
    HMS Vanguard 1 vote
    IJN I-400 1 vote

If you have any more ideas they must be in by the above date and time :?:

More later

Regards

Rob

PS:- Hood has been taken of the list as it looks as if Roman may do this. Also Arizona might be off as Philippe has already started a build on this :?