Digital Photo Backdrops

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by bigdonnie, Aug 9, 2005.

1. bigdonnie

bigdonnie Member

I imagine many of you have seen the article in the latest issue of MRR. I was impressed by the amazing depth that this backdrop added to what started out as a relatively narrow and visually uninteresting scene.

I've never tried doing this, but after reading this article, I am definitely going to play around with this backdrop technique.

If anyone has successfully done this, perhaps you could share your experiences with us?

I am particularly interested in how you can use photo editing software like Photoshop to adjust picture size so that it is appropriate for the scale you are modelling in.
    For example, I would like to try and create a backdrop for my small N scale coffee table layout.

Any experiences appreciated.
  2. Marxed

Marxed Member

i'm assuming you mean adding the backdrop in after the picture is taken?

it's not to hard with some photoshop know-how, and it's kinda fun to do actually :D

here's an example of one i've done
  3. MasonJar

MasonJar It's not rocket surgery

My digicam is not up to making big backdrops - resolution is too low, 'cuz the camera is too old...!

However, I have used Adobe PhotoShop Elements to manipulate those (non-RR) photos I have taken. This is a simple program to use - much better than PhotoShop itself, as the functions have been grouped for use with "camera images", as opposed to strictly free-form.

One thing I think is important in backdrops is not to make them so realistic and spectacular that they take away from the trains. This is a risk when using photos for backdrops (in my opinion).

Another point to remember is the perspective. There are many (commercial) backdrops that I have seen that do not match the perspective of the layout. You can see this when you look at (for example) a model building - you can see the roof from the angle that you normally view the layout. But the building on the backdrop, right next to it, has a completely different perspective, and you cannot see the roof. A bit of a discontinuity, in my opinion.

However, with digital manipulation, you should be able to correct these and any other problems. Looking forward to your reports! :D

4. Sunburn

Sunburn Member

Backdrop Photos

A couple years ago, I was designing a book cover for work and came across this site. It has great source material for backdrops, assuming you have the skills and software to work with them. GOOD STUFF!!