Digital Navy's HMS Dreadnought

This will be my first post on the forum. I am returning after many years of other modeling interest. However, I still find these paper models interesting. I down loaded the Digital Navy's Dreadnought and thought this would be a good start. I have attached two photos, the first one is of my work area in the study of my home. The second one is the cut and laminated bottom of the hull and the frame work. I will post as I build. Please feel free to comment and all help will be welcomed. Merry Christmas :wave:

Attachments

• DSC00322.JPG
    DSC00322.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC00323.JPG
    DSC00323.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 24

Teamski

A very warm welcome to the site and to one awesome hobby!! If it fits your personality, card modeling can become downright addicting! "Oh, just one more part and I will call it a night!" Yeah right!

-Ski

A very warm welcome to the site and to one awesome hobby!! If it fits your personality, card modeling can become downright addicting! "Oh, just one more part and I will call it a night!" Yeah right!

-Ski
Thanks for the welcome, I just do not know how or what was ment by "Yea right"? I am always open to help and or suggestions, however God did give me a brain to use to decide if the advice given is usable. The Merry Christmas is to convey my hopes for all Man kind to know peace and joy. So again I really do not understand your comment?:confused:

Toddlea

Thanks for the welcome, I just do not know how or what was ment by "Yea right"? I am always open to help and or suggestions, however God did give me a brain to use to decide if the advice given is usable. The Merry Christmas is to convey my hopes for all Man kind to know peace and joy. So again I really do not understand your comment?:confused:

I could be wrong, but I don't feel his comment was anything against you or your efforts. This hobby is very addictive. I have made the comment to my wife that I will come to bed after one more part and 3 hours later I finally quit. When I say "just one more part " she says, under her breath, "Yea Right."

By the way I've built this kit and it turns out great. Good Luck.

I could be wrong, but I don't feel his comment was anything against you or your efforts. This hobby is very addictive. I have made the comment to my wife that I will come to bed after one more part and 3 hours later I finally quit. When I say "just one more part " she says, under her breath, "Yea Right."

By the way I've built this kit and it turns out great. Good Luck.
Thanks for you kindness to help. After re-reading I understand what is ment. I thought I had said something wrong and it is not my intent to offend any- one.

Teamski

I'm really sorry about that!! Toddlea had it right. I find that I say to myself, "just one more part and I will call it for the night." 2 hours and 5 parts later, I finally crawl into bed.

No bad intentions on my part whatsoever. I look forward to your completed model!!! :)

-Ski

Welcome to the nut house papastumpy!

Nice start on the DN Dreadnought. Merry Christmas and keep us posted with your progress. I love this subject.

sneaker

Welcome to the mix papastumpy :wave: I agree wholeheartedly with Padre. That is an impressive workspace even if you did clean it up for the photo. I can clean mine until I am blue in the face :rolleyes: and still not look that organized. wall1
But I digress.......Welcome to the club :thumb:

I had some time yesterday and installed the hull frame work using 1mm fiber board. Getting ready to laminate the deck to 80lb business card stock from a print shop. Here is a tip: Go to your local print shop, take the guy a cup of coffee and ask if he will let you have scrape material. great stuff for card modeling. Here are some more photo's.DSC00331.JPG

DSC00324.JPG

Cool build

Hey I admire the neatness of your workspace even if it was just for the photo.:thumb:
Hey Papastumpy what are you using for weights, they look like thick lithium batteries, if not what are they and how heavy are they? Seems like they need to be heavy since you are using the aforementioned heavy cardstock.

Dave

Formerly Styrene

Hey I admire the neatness of your workspace even if it was just for the photo.:thumb:
Hey Papastumpy what are you using for weights, they look like thick lithium batteries, if not what are they and how heavy are they? Seems like they need to be heavy since you are using the aforementioned heavy cardstock.

Dave

Formerly Styrene
Dave, what you are looking is a neat little item I found at Hobby Lobby, a magnitic cut board. There is a mag. ruler that comes w/mat, but the small disk you are seeing are small magnitics I use in Balsa Airplanes from Easy Built Models. You would be surprised at the differant ways you can use them, and they come even smaller. You get the benifit of the object remaining flat while glue dries and you can use to insure parts are 90 degrees in relation to build. I use when laminating to keep from curling. I have been waiting to see if someone would notice and ask. Did you notice the X-Acto Metal Triangle, square mags are holding up, that is what I use to keep objects @90deg's.

:mrgreen:Dry fit of parts for hull, a little trim here and there and ready to glue.DSC00333.JPG

DSC00334.JPG I know the purple area is to be cut out to allow you to install moveable gun turrets, but I have found that if people know they will move, they just have to see for themselves, you find your little prize damaged by big fingers. Will attatch turrets to deck, no need to cut out and compromise the intergity of the decks ability to support after lamination.

Hull glued up, found a few areas that required attention during build, check and double check, deck, hull bottom, and hull plating. Too keep that semitar, "don't know if spelled right" you get the idea, bow, you may have to do what I did and add a filler piece at the stern. On the 2ndary deck part 16a calls for part 17 as a wrap is wrong, part 16 is the correct wrap. I installed the hull plating with frame up-side down on glass to get a clean flush edge along the top side of the deck. And if you get any curl of the frame, the hull plating exstending past the bottom of the hul will allow your ship to sit level. I have enjoyed this little ship so far, I believe there is just enough complexity to prepare a beginner to be ready for that next larger build. I would recommend a few waterlines before the jump to full hull. I am a ole hat at modeling and this ship is a reprimer for me since it has been so long since I modeled in paper, however just like riding a bicycle, you never forget and you get right back on and ride. Yea, thats a joke, I would be so stoved up I would not be able to walksign1

Attachments

• 20081227_4.JPG
    20081227_4.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 8
  • 20081227_9.JPG
    20081227_9.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20081227_6.JPG
    20081227_6.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 13
2ndary deck glued up and attached to deck. Will paint out the white areas tonight. Did install wrap for 2ndary deck in a differant manner than called for, which shows you gluing as a single piece. I cut mine into three parts and glued, was easier this way. Mocked up a Turrent, now I know the tricks to this litttle beasty. The base that attached to the bottom of the turrent was off register, I removed and will correct w/the rest.

Attachments

• 20081228_1.JPG
    20081228_1.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 20081228_2.JPG
    20081228_2.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20081228_6.JPG
    20081228_6.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 12
Used the Vallejo paint, outstanding, use their thinner and mix to like milk and the stuff slides on as if sprayed. If you have not tried, check it out and see if you can use. Did not swell paper nor bleed. Look the photos over and you will see what I am talking about. Remeber, this is a water based paint, easy clean up. I only used the thinner for mixing paint, cleaned up w/water.

Attachments

• DSC00350.JPG
    DSC00350.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC00353.JPG
    DSC00353.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 12