Digital Navy's BB-3 Oregon, 1:250

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by murban, Jan 23, 2005.

  1. murban

    murban Member

    Hello friends,

    today I added the fore funnel. Built as designed, plus a steam pipe and a whistle, derived from original images.
  2. murban

    murban Member

    The first railing for the flybridge stairs was added and the "flap" glued down. Now the first boat crane can check out its position - not glued down yet.
  3. murban

    murban Member

    I am thinking about showing one of the cranes "in action", hoisting a boat. Let's see how that could work out.

    Anyway, I am about two winches, one crane and a lot of railing away from completion. Starts looking like a real ship.

    Here's an image shot by aerial reconaissance;)

    best regards,
  4. bholderman

    bholderman Member


    Very well done.

  5. barry

    barry Active Member


    Remarkable job

  6. Leif Oh

    Leif Oh Member

    Some of those close-ups surely are picture-of-the-week class! - L.
  7. Jim Krauzlis

    Jim Krauzlis Active Member

    Outstanding work, and superb photography, Michael! :D

    I hope you'll treat us to a few more photos of your brilliant modeling, perhaps one from bows on...please? :D
    I agree with Leif, you've posted some incredible photos.

    I like the idea of having the crane in apparent animation, that would be awesome! :shock:

    Thanks for posting these updates...and hope there's still some more to come. :wink:


  8. Corporal_Trim

    Corporal_Trim Member

    Marvellous work, Michael ! :D Gotta love those pre-dreadnoughts. 8)
  9. murban

    murban Member

    Hello friends,

    progress has been slow lately, those railings are killing me ;)

    But at least the foredeck is complete now.
  10. murban

    murban Member more of the boats completed and a little bit of railing fitted on the flybridge...
  11. murban

    murban Member

    ...the mast dry-fitted. First bits of the rigging to be seen here...
  12. murban

    murban Member

    ...and last but not least, here's an overview from the bow.

    This one's for you, Jim...

    best regards,
  13. murban

    murban Member

    As promised, the second crane will be shown "in action".

    Seems that I will have to put some weight in the boat to keep the ropes tight...

  14. cmdrted

    cmdrted Active Member

    Michael, looks great. maybe you can use lead foil from wine bottles and make a small keel painted white. this might give enough weight. This is a great build. I had a question about your rails, I re- read the thread that said they were paper soaked with glues etc, but overall are they flat pieces stiffened with the glues and painted? I ask this as in your pics they seem rounded in cross section, and they look good. keep up the great build, maybe I'll finish the Shimakaze soon. (builder's block is keeping me).
  15. murban

    murban Member


    the railing is made from thin paper strips, glued together with white glue.

    I use 160gr. cardstock (basically the same weight paper that all the other parts are made from). That paper is soaked in plastik glue. I use the variety that comes in a small glass with a brush in the lid and "paint" the glue onto both sides of the paper.

    When dry, the paper is cut into really thin stripes (maybe 0.25 mm wide) - sounds more scary than it is - try it for yourself. It works pretty well with a sharp scalpel and a steel ruler.

    I then make a template for the railing and print it. On top of the printout, I put some scotch tape - that will keep the railing from sticking to the paper when being glued together. Then I build the railing, remove it from the tape when dry and put it on the ship.

    For difficult shapes, I do not use a template, but build the railing in place.

    Hope this helps,

  16. Jim Krauzlis

    Jim Krauzlis Active Member

    Hi, Michael! :D

    Great set of update photos, particularly that bow on shot! :wink:

    On the crane rigging, specifically the spreaders on the boat, you might want to consider using string that is pre-soaked with glue (I've used PVA to good effect; not glossy, stiffens the thread but allows for changes) to get them straight and then wrap around the base of the boat putting in the curve only on the length that goes under the boat. It's really difficult to get thread to remain straight unless it is under some tension or is pre-treated to simulate that it is under tension, and I've found soaking the thread, much like when using thread for rails, works fairly well.

    Great tip on making the rails from paper...something new I had never considered but must now try someday soon! :lol:

    She's really looking outstanding!!
    Maybe, when you can, some more photos? :wink: (Our appetite for photos of this great build is never sated, it appears. :lol: )


  17. Corporal_Trim

    Corporal_Trim Member

    She's looking absolutely stellar, Micheal. :D 8) 8)

    I'm glad you chose the white and buff color scheme. It looks terrific. :) Good tips also on the railing. I'm still puzzling how to handle it on the Petropavlovsk.
  18. murban

    murban Member

    Hello friends,

    it's been a while since I last worked on Oregon - I waited for the new laser-cut paper railings to arrive.

    Now I have them applied and am pretty pleased about the outcome - but judge for yourself.
  19. murban

    murban Member

    ...some more shots
  20. murban

    murban Member

    next part is adding the mast and starting the rigging.

    best regards

Share This Page