digital navy uss arizona 2004

Thanks for the update Hermit.

I too have struggled with the paint/not paint the hull issue. It's all about how you want the model to look. So it's just a matter of choice.

Great job by the way. I know how many coats it takes to do that. After 4 and 5 you keep saying to yourself... "this will do it. this will be the last one." NOT! :mrgreen:

As far as smooth vs not smooth is concerned... I have a God given gift of "un-smooth hull maker". :mrgreen: It's a talent.

Really though, real hulls are never glass smooth.

jaffro

Long term member
That hull is looking nice Hermit...

One question... in relation to what you guys (Hermit and eibwarrior) have said about not wanting to paint over the printed hull detail... would it be worth trying to spray it with a clear gloss instead of red paint? would that not give you the shiny hull without losing the printed detail?

I haven't tried it myself, so I'm not sure how printed paper looks with a coat of gloss over it, but I can see why you wouldn't want to lose that hull detailing... and sorry if this has already been mentioned, I tend to just look at the pictures in awe sometimes. :p

Good point Jaffro.

I'm going to try something Hermit suggested on my 1/100 Arizona. I picked up a can of the print sealer (Mrs. Nimock's at Wal-Mart) which is a clear laquer. You can get it in gloss or matte. I'm going to use matte, just out of choice. I prefer a less-glossy hull.

Not only will this protect the printing from fading, but it will also (hopefully) make the colors and finish more uniform. I'll let you know how it turns out on my build thread.