digital navy uss arizona 2004

The Hermit

Jul 29, 2007
baton rouge la
well i finally broke down and bought the cd after all this time
now im trying to do research on the model while i wait for it,
can any one tell me if there is a completed build review of this model
i tried on google and found one started one from several years ago
but nothing all they way done, i would like to know if there are any tips for building the model, and thank gods! i have my cis system installed on my hp finally or that monster would really cost me some ink.
im really getting excited waiting for it, so can any one help out with a build review or some research on dn kit?

the hermit :killer:

The Hermit

Jul 29, 2007
baton rouge la
kitty

this is the work station that kitty AND i use to browse the internet and make paper models. kitty wants to start on the arizona model i have been talking about, so im going to start it before she starts up again

Attachments

• PICT0079.JPG
    PICT0079.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 14

The Hermit

Jul 29, 2007
baton rouge la
serious problem

kitty thinks she has gotten smarter
and indeed this IS a problem

it seems she has gotten the plans when i was buzy cutting

i might have to wait for her to sleep

wall1

does it not look like she is saying "this is mine... MINE. feel lucky punk?"

Attachments

• PICT0081.JPG
    PICT0081.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 9
Hehehehe, she looks like she is ready to tear someone to shreds if they even try to reach for those plans!:mrgreen:

My wife bought me this model for my birthday last year and now that my birthday is rolling around again, I guess I better get busy with it!

I am looking forward to following your build. :thumb:
I am going to need all the hints I can get and seeing someone else build it first is going to be a big help for me.

You may have to take some counter measures with the "boss" or you may never even get this build going, let alone finished!:twisted:
Good luck and keep them pictures coming!:cool:

Russell

The Hermit

Jul 29, 2007
baton rouge la
she is mostly sleeping in her box now, so i get to work
i have been gluing joints with aleens and then reinforcing them on both sides with super glue, there is no comparision it is 100x stronger joint and i will use this method on all my structural joints from now on. its the connecting joint on the bottom part and then i sand till smooth cause the super glue can make a little speed bump, im really impressed with how strong it makes the joint

Attachments

• PICT0083.JPG
    PICT0083.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 7

The Hermit

Jul 29, 2007
baton rouge la
i am also super glueing all of the card stock sides AND slatts to reinforce them, i really think its worth the extra effort does any one else use this technique? also i am really liking how the color laserjet at the office printed out the color pages i am going to have to seriously consider purchasing one, because i felt awefull guilty printing the 28 pages for this model... :shock:

Attachments

• PICT0082.JPG
    PICT0082.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 6

The Hermit

Jul 29, 2007
baton rouge la
well i took apart the shelf's in my closet and i am going to use the shelf to temporary mount the superstructure, and i must say it is working very nicely, but kitty realises some thing is going on, so i have to be quick...

Attachments

• PICT0085.JPG
    PICT0085.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 6

The Hermit

Jul 29, 2007
baton rouge la
the quality of romans kits are amazing and worthy of printing out on your companies color laserjet...:twisted:
well after submitting the photos i realise that you dont get the detail i can see... 8(

thats too bad as there are tri colored planks on the main decking that print in AMAZING TINY DETAIL

i used to love my inkjet till i tried the laser and i am sold

i just need to find a hp office jet on ebay

my top of the line hp photo inkjet cannot match the level of detail of the hp office jet

thank god the admin just bought 2x sets of toner for all the colors... even so i better not mess any pieces up

Attachments

• PICT0084.JPG
    PICT0084.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 12

The Hermit

Jul 29, 2007
baton rouge la
here is the results of tonights work
i have noticed one error in the plans for the superstructure
part 8 has to have the verticle saddle cut about a quarter inch higer than planned for or the piece will not fit as it is supposed to, but once cared for fits as it should, it seems that preparing each piece with the superglue does add time it really makes for a much securer adhesion i have even abandoned using white glue on the superstructure, and i just brush the super glue over the 2 pieces and it soaks in and bonds even faster than the tacky glue, i think i will use this method to finish the superstructure, with maye a ribbon of glue over that for a super bond.
more later this week, oh yeah im much happier man handling the model now that it is temprary fixed to the wooden board not to mention that it keeps it true and prevents warping, i will do that from now on when i can...

kitty said hi, im hungry...

Attachments

• PICT0086.JPG
    PICT0086.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 16

dansls1

May 7, 2007
Looking good ;)
As far as mounting - the Wilhelmshaven aircraft carrier I built in high school was mounted on blue sturdy insulation foam. My Lutjens build is glued to a piece of foam board. The carrier was tacked to only be temporary - but it never was finished. The Lutjens I planned teh whole time to use the foam board as the permanent base.

The Hermit

Jul 29, 2007
baton rouge la
i think i have finally caught a gremlin on film
it is stalking my arizona waiting to cause havoc since i have managed to get some more work done
you tell me what???

scary no???
that is a true unaltered unedited unphotoshopped picture of the beastie
right after i told it NO in a very serious voice

i think she might be mad

i dont sleep with her tonight :shock:

Attachments

• gremlin1.jpg
    gremlin1.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 3
  • az1.jpg
    az1.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 11

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
That gremlin looks pretty nasty. I don't know how you sleep at night with that evil creature in the house. :eek:

Good look with the deck attached. How did the squareness and fit go? I've heard folks brag on Roman's designs and how well they go together.

Keep up the good work. You better watch out for the gremlin when it comes time to rig the Arizona. Those gremlins love rigging. :curse:

Gainer

Jun 27, 2007
For photo etch, only in 1/350 scale i believe, from Eduard model accesories, not cheap, but could probably be found cheaper
Eduard Model Accessories ltd.
go into search, and type arizona
available from greatmodels.com,
type in eduard arizona in search

The Hermit

Jul 29, 2007
baton rouge la
well this update will show removal of the deck
i decided it was too thin and i will start over on the deck when
i have it at 1.5 mm or 2 mm

it just felt to flimsy when assembled

i will assemble deck again once entire superstructure is completed

also i will release top structure from temp base
im amazed how well that worked
trick is using enough glue to mount yet not enough to make permanent
i prolly used just a little too much on ethier end and it was tough removing
but its absolutely straight and worth the effort
i think i might find a piece of glass to mount on the board
im sure it would be easier to remove with razor from glass

and as you can see she is now free from her bondage and assembly will now start on the lower structure

damn that cat

left it alone the whole time it was glued
and not more than three minutes does it try to turn it into a fur scratcher

and teeth cleaner

if you ever want to hear a 6'7 300# man
scream NO in a high pitched shrill voice

this will do it

i think it made kitty poo,,
sign1

Attachments

• a2.jpg
    a2.jpg