Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
On to the shelter deck

Well, I'm glad to report that my deck "bubbling" effect has gone away. I truly believe that the recent crazy weather had given me this heart attack. The bubbles in the deck have laid down and it appears they are flat for now. I had also noticed some slight warping in the inner shelter deck bulkheads. This waviness went away also. That tells me the humidity or something else caused some tensions in the card that weren't there before.

Oh well.:p At least it went away before I had to do something rash or drastic.

I've finally finished building all 10 of the 5"/51 casemate guns. They're all mounted and looking good. I've installed the barbette for turret No. 2 as it heads up the shelter deck and really needs to be in place before mounting the shelter deck above the guns. Here are some shots of my progress. There are a lot of penetrations in the shelter deck, so I'm busy drilling, slicing and dicing holes in it as I write this. I'll have some more shots once I get the deck on and some more details added.

arizona58jr7.jpg

arizona59kk4.jpg

arizona60cw0.jpg

arizona61xr2.jpg

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Shelter Deck finished!

Well, I've finished mounting the shelter deck. It was a good fit, but tedious to glue in place. The upper parts of the outer bulkheads had to be fitted and glued a little at a time. Took a couple hours to get it all on and finished.

Quite pleased with the look at this point. Photo below.

On another subject... I moved to the rear of the shelter deck where the bulkheads go in place to cover up the exposed aft end of the shelter deck. Parts are laminated and ready to go, but I'm a bit puzzled.

Roman's instructions don't really address part 79 in full detail. The illustration does to a point. I under stand how 79 and 80 go together to form the bulkheads in this area. I don't know what parts 79 a,b,c and d are for. Does anyone with experience in this model know? I've attached a picture with a the parts in question circled in red. Intuitively, I assume they attach to bulkheads 79R and 79L but where? I'm guessing they go up under where the cage mast legs penetrate the shelter deck, but I'm not sure of their purpose or how to attach them. Please help!

arizona62qs4.jpg

arizona63jy9.jpg

CJTK1701

Banned
Dec 12, 2006
Wow, what can I say, this is really turning into quite the build. What is the length of that monster?

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Shelter Deck Rear Assembly

Hello all.

Thanks Barry and CJTK1701 for the kind comments.

CJTK1701 the full length is about 74" total with a beam of about 14". It's a monster to pick up, turn and handle.

I've put all the bulkheads on the rear of the shelter deck to close that area off. Looks great. I've figured out what parts 79 a, b, c and d are for... They are the small platforms coming off the rear of the shelter deck. I had to look ahead in the construction diagrams to figure that out. They're shown in great detail in one of the diagrams. Credit to Roman for such detailed instructions and diagrams. I need to look ahead sometimes to figure out what's going on. Here's a shot of the area I'm working. I will start to put these small platforms on next.

arizona64hq0.jpg

Hank45

Nov 12, 2007
On the floor of the shelter deck there are red intersecting lines. Are the red lines supposed to be cut out? Hank45

Hank45

Nov 12, 2007
I have another question. I am building a waterline version of Arizona so what I would like to know is do I build uo from section 60 up to section 52 or do I build down from 52 to 60 ? I would like to congratulate on your superb build. Thanks Hank45

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Hank45,
Those intersecting lines are the slots for the funnel. The funnel has tabs that insert there. Anything in red is a cut out area. You'll see several in the shelter deck.

Thanks & good luck with a waterline version. I wouldn't know where to tell you to begin. This hull has some features that would make waterline conversion very difficult.

Hank45

Nov 12, 2007
I have a problem. As I stated before I am making a waterline version of USS Arizona, my problem is my bow from deck support #7 to deck sipport #1 is starting to rise up approximately one quarter if an inch. The rest of the model is flat on the table. Any advice how to make the bow area lay flat? Thanks Hank45

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Thanks Barry!

Hank45, That rise is probably due to the design of the upper half of the hull. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't know where to start making a waterline version of this model. You'd probably have to make some modifications to the hull formers to pull it off. As it is designed, I don't think it is intended to be as easy to omit the lower half of the hull, and presto, you have a waterline version.

Hank45

Nov 12, 2007
Thanks eibwarrior I am going to make this version of USS Arizona come together one way or another. All I have to do is think the problem through. Thanks from Hank45

Hank45

Nov 12, 2007
eibwarrior, would you tell me the color prismarker you use to do the cut edges of your Arizona build? Thank you from Hank45

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Prismacolor Markers

Hank45...

Here's a photo of what they look like...

prod_double_ended.jpg

They come in several different colors. 10 shades of gray. I use mostly 40%-60% on the ARIZONA. I look at the gray shade of the part and just use my best judgement. They are double ended markers, broad tip on one end and fine tip on the other. Very handy.

You can pick these up at most hobby supply stores. I get mine at Hobby Lobby. They are about $3.50 each. Be careful when first using them (very wet) you can get some bleed through. I use a very light grazing motion to avoid bleed through, until they're broken in well.

For my hull red, I used color pencils (dark red) and some red sharpie marker.

eibwarrior

Dec 17, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Small Platforms and Starting the Superstructure

Well, I've got some progress to show today. I had a chance to go back and put those mystery parts on the aft of the Shelter Deck. They are the small platforms and posts in the first attached picture.

I caught up with detailing the barbette for turret #2, and started attaching water tight doors everywhere that was complete.

The start of the bridge structure is also coming up out of the shelter deck. This should progress quickly. I've taken time to step back and do an overall shot of the ARIZONA too. Haven't done one of those in a while, so you can see how she looks.

arizona65uh2.jpg

arizona66yn7.jpg

arizona67ld5.jpg