Digital Navy - USS Arizona - 1/100

Funnel Start

Well I'm back after a bit of a layoff. Needed to recharge the batteries.

I've started the funnel assembly. Went pretty straight forward for the main funnel, and I've started to add the smaller details (lips, rims and grills) atop the funnel.

There are a bunch of platforms and other structures to attach, so a lot of work on this assembly yet to be done. I'll show you what I have so far and update when I've got more attached to it.

arizona92br2.jpg

arizona93ws5.jpg

Thanks Ski and Barry.

Barry... In some cases yes and others no. If I think I can put a decent bend in the card (100#) I'll bend the corner. Some parts are either too complex or too small to bend a good square corner, so I'll cut them into individual sides.

I've got some platforms on the sides of the stack now. I'll have some photos up shortly. This funnel is one complex assembly. Lots of pieces.

Stack Platforms & Handrails

Hey guys,

Got a photo update ready. Finished the stack with the exception of a little bit of steam piping.

I’ve attached the covered and uncovered platforms and added rails. Two of the upper platforms get a couple of 30mm machine gun mounts. Still have to build those, but they won't take long.

The piping comes down the aft, port side of the stack and into some kind of collection box. I'm not sure what this is at all. I don't even know what to call it, but it's next up for building. Its parts #117 and #118 in the DN kit. But it is associated with the steam and stack.

I took a couple of overall shots since it's been some time since I stepped back with the camera. Really starting to take shape now. After I finish playing with the stack, I'll build all the boats on the boat deck before going to the aft tripod mast. Heck, if I'm feeling crazy, I may start on the #2 turret instead. :twisted: I'm dying to work on some main rifles.

arizona94sl8.jpg

arizona95jm0.jpg

arizona96tt3.jpg

arizona97jj4.jpg

CK Styles

Very nice build. I have been thinking about doing a large scale ship (I'd like to find the USS Oriskany - anybody know where I could find one). Your work is very inspiring!

Thanks everyone for the very kind comments...

CK, The Mighty O would make a great super-sized build. I don't think I have ever seen a commercial kit for her though. That might be a job for one of our wonderful designers...

CK Styles

That would be totally cool. My father-in-law fought on the O while Mc Cain was flying off of her during the "conflict" and I thought it might make a great gift for him. The ship version of course, not the coral reef version, lol. I can only hope someone could design this one. I'm sure there would be plenty of builders!

Collection Box & Boat Racks

Some more details to show.

I've finished the steam pipe collection box and platforms at the base of the funnel. Not sure what the function of this tidbit is, but it's shown in the first three photos.

I've started the whale boat racks for the boat deck. Three of these for assembly. They are shown in the next three photos. Construction is very easy and straight forward.

Now comes the FUN PART. I'm going to conduct a little survey or poll here. I've picked three specific areas to carry my efforts to next. I need a change of scenery on my work bench. I've selected the following three items for assembly, and I want you guys to chime in and cast a vote for what you want to see me work on next... Here's the choices...
1. Main Turret #2 Gun
2. 5" gun mounts and shields on the weather deck
3. Aft tri-pod mast and boat cranes

Feel free to chime in and let me know what you want to see started next. I'll be wrapped up with the boat racks in the next day or two, and then I'll tally the votes. Nothing like interactive modeling! balloon6aussie

arizona98qw3.jpg

arizona99ta4.jpg

arizona100dc8.jpg

arizona101kd4.jpg

arizona102ug4.jpg

arizona103ap4.jpg

NYC Irish

Ive always thought that the main guns were the crown of a battleship model, after that its all downhill so I leave them as last, Finishing all in an assembly line, not even test fitting them for look...but its all personal choice in that matter..My Yamato will have the guns put on last I think...if I ever finish it...

John John