Digital Navy Fuso

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Fuso last of the cardboard

Hi All

This is the last of the cardboard parts added the crane pole behind the tower, the last of the seaplanes and the pulleys on the after tower. Modified the aft mast to be the correct diameter.

fuso_335.JPG

Seaplanes and crane boom and the pole to hold up the diving board.

fuso_337.JPG

Pulley system I assume this is for moving the boats but I would be grateful if someone would tell me how it works, also do the side cranes rise hydraulically to swing the boats out.

Has anyone seen a good picture of Fuso's rigging please?

@jim your occasional large one on the link below.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ccompro/fuso/fuso_334.JPG

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
As usual, smashing model, Barry! :D

Thanks for the larger than normal photo, it really shows the enormous amount of detail you've put into this model, right down to the superb seaplanes.

I hope you find a source for the crane details...I tried to find one but it seems there are only a handfull of photos of Fuso, all of which Chritoph already gave links for early in this thread...perhaps this one, okay, it's photos of a model, but some nice detail photos, can help:

http://www.modellversium.de/galerie/artikel.php?id=669

Wish I could have found more for you, mate...sorry. :eek:ops:

Hope you treat us to a final series of photos of the finished Fuso! :D

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Start of rigging and secondary blast bags

Hi

Finally got the nerve up to try finishing Fuso the blast bags are Kleenex and white glue and the rigging is stretched fuse wire. The sag in the long aerials is due to the wires own weight so it can't be too bad that way I will have to see where it ends up tomorrow.

fuso_339.JPG

fuso_340.JPG

fuso_341.JPG

It is a bit difficult to get the wires to show up could do with some sun.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Fuso rigging aft

Added some more of the aft rigging, it's all a bit on the fragile side so I think I will not get too carried away with it. It would have been better to have thought ahead and not painted the spars and jackstaffs and put it all together with a dab of solder (who am I kidding I would have been terrified to do it).

Still got to do the same pattern at the bow end of the ship but it's tiring on the eyes so it will have to wait awhile.

fuso_344.JPG

I did a quick repair and hooked one of the lines over the wrong spar easy enough to fix.

fuso_345.JPG

barry

cmdrted

Jul 8, 2004
Avondale,Pa. USA
Barry, the rigging looks great. In some views it actually looks like Fuso is in the yard getting overhauled or something. Excellant job sir, good show.

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
fore rigging

Hi All

Last picture of the rigging from bridge to jack staff, finally decided to chance my arm on soldering the rigging. Bit of a laugh really what with the shaking wrists and the off depth vision it is a wonder the two pieces of wire and the soldering iron ever came together I finally decided to aim 1/2" to the left. It does do a much better job and I did not burn a hole in Fuso.

Next question is how do you paint thelines I think I will try acrylic paint for starters.

fuso_347.JPG

fuso_348.JPG

Some more touching up, a few more oars and she might just be finished.

@Ted thanks for the kind words

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Absolutely outstanding rigging, Barry! :D

Sure can't wait until you take a few shots of her outside in the sun.

For painting them, since you used metal, acrylic would be fine, but I would use an oil based flat paint just because I think it covers easier than acrylics at that size, and doesn't build up the thickness of the wire as much. It always seems to flow over the wire better than the acrylic, at least that's my experience. What color were you thinking of using? A dark grey or even black, flat of course, would look great.

Hope you'll favor us with more photos of this amazing build real soon!

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Fuso rigging

Jim

Took your advice and painted the rigging with Humbrol 108 matt dark grey it worked well, it really needs some touching up still, but it does not seem to show in the pics. The sun came out and it was so bright I had to take the photos inside otherwise the shadows were too deep. I'm not complaining because it was so nice to be able to move freely for a while.

As the resident rigging expert does it need more rigging adding ?

fuso_349.JPG

fuso_350.JPG

fuso_351.JPG

Just an attempt at an overall view it's outside the range of my camera lens.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Looks real good, Barry! :D

I am far from a rigging expert, my friend, and I don't know what all Fuso requires by way of rigging, but from what I see she's pretty well rigged out. :D

That leads me to a question of what reference you are using for the rigging scheme...I know there are some good books out there on Fuso and the like, so perhaps you are using that or a photo or two, or does the kit show all the necessary rigging?

Glad the weather has improved and the limbs are more limber today! :wink: My wife is a barometer that way, can always tell when the weather is about to change, but it takes its toll, doesn't it mate? :(

Perhaps just a few more shots when you can? :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

Barry,

as you know I am a 'solids' modeller-- but I look in here daily and admire the work done in this very difficult and unforgiving medium--Fuso is one of my all-time favourite lookinbg battleships- no other ship, with the possible exception of Hoche and other French Pre-dreadnoughts, presented such a bizare and dramatic side elevation -- I feel your model captures the ship BEAUTIFULLY!!

Bravo and well done!

I do hope you will be able to trundle along the coast
to both the Festival of the sea as well as to our modelshippers party!!

It would be great to meet you!

Best wishes

JIM BAUMANN