Digital Navy Fuso

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Ladders

Hi

I got carried away again with Fuso probably getting to the point where Roman would say call it a day. I wanted to put the rails and ladders on the turrets and being challenged in the soldering department decide to have a play anyway. I've managed to build ladders before but usually bust them cleaning them up today went a bit better. So if like me you have problems

1 get a thin lolly stick

2 mark up the rung positions and verticals

3 using thin fuse wire wind it round the former just as in thread manufacture (fuse wire is already tinned)

4 straighten everything up at the front (sod the back).

5 wipe a thin film of flux on the assembly

6 using a slightly wet (with solder) iron run over the joints

7 give the rungs a good poke to see they soldered

8 cut through the wire on the the back

9 gently peel off the steps

10 place the resulting hairy mess on a piece of flat metal with the rung side down use something like a stanley knife to trim them up ( not cutters they are for cutting through the back bits).

Leave enough wire on the verticals to join to railings etc when you are cutting the treads remember (unlike me) to leave the necessary number of long ones to turn down as fastenings.

If you all knew all this anyway I only write it because I had been trying to chop the ends off on wood which just bends everything.

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
turret details

Ok this is probably one step too far but I had to try it

fuso_311.JPG

The ladder on A gun will be moved to another turret with a range finder

fuso_312.JPG

barry

Leif Oh

Jan 27, 2004
Goteborg, Sweden
Barry!

Since I'm an hour ahead of you, allow me to be the first to congratulate you on your upcoming birthday - and for a long line of both memorable and instructive building tales!

May there be many more of those.

Leif

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Ladder

Hi

Somehow I don't seem to be in the mood to build a new hull at the moment so I keep looking for idiot things to do to avoid it. I decided I wanted to hide the printed ladders this is as far as I got.

fuso_320.JPG

I have to admit I do not know where this ladder is going maybe that is reason for all the handholds above it

fuso_321.JPG

You are supposed to look at the one aft of the boat

Trouble is there are 2 large ones behind B gun

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Turret rails

Hi

A and B turrets with a full set of rails. I decide to paint them later because the number of times I have to grab them with tweezers takes all the paint off anyway. It's a slow process and I have been using a stanley knife to trim them but having rescued a pair of my wifes old scissors they trim them much more easly and put far less strain on my soldered joints. Two more turrets to go.

fuso_322.JPG

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Last of the turret rails

Finished the las t of the turret rails there are a couple more ladders to add.Fixed the boat davits and the side cranes.

Still have to paint the rails but I dropped the last lot so often and picked them up with tweezers there was no paint left to see, so hopefully I can do them in situ.

Not that far to go now.

fuso_323.JPG

Must have got the touchup colours right for once because you cn't see the edges of the cranes.

fuso_324.JPG

fuso_325.JPG

barry

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland

Thats a great kit...I just hope my Yamato looks as good. Im definetly a fan of the DN catalogue as its a great level of design and weathering.

Great work
John John

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Rails

Hi All

I thought I would add a couple of safety rails to stop the crew falling off, trouble is when you start this game of adding bits it's difficukt to stop. Having decided to put ladders on the turrets I thought I had better add the long ladders up the conning tower. I think painting this lor is going to take a while.

fuso_326.JPG

fuso_327.JPG

fuso_328.JPG

Took me ages to do this one round the funnel platform and then you can hardly see it.

barry

ehouli

Aug 7, 2004
Caracas, Venezuela
Hi Barry,

Your Fuso looks really great, about the rails around the funnel platform you may think it doesn't show... but indeed it does, if you can find a picture of the same angle without it and compare it with this last picture you'll see what I mean.

Small bits might not be very noticeable but that's what makes the difference when you see two builds and one is highly detailed and the other one being more simple.

Keep up the good work!

Erick

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Boy oh boy, Barry!
You've outdone yourself this time, mate! :D

Of course the funnel railings are visible, as are all the other wonderful details and tid bits you've added. They do, indeed, add so much to the way this model has taken on the look of a fine scale model and you should be hearing shortly, if you haven't already, the complementary "THAT's made out of paper?!?". :wink:

Keep at it, my friend, you're almost done...and then you have to wow us with your next build! :lol:

Looking forward to more photos when you can. :D

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Seaplane 2

Hi All

Just to add to the crowded deck don't ask me how you turn the main battery to launch the one thats already on the catapult. Again it's a paper fuselage and float the rest is card. I used a sample of the new(?) UHU gel plus glue it's really good for sticking the wings and floats on, almost an instant grab.

Which idiot forgot to paint the inside of the seaplane trolley at least it's reachable.

fuso_329.JPG

fuso_330.JPG

One more seaplane to go

barry

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
image test

Hi All

This is really a test to see if this system works if the called image is too big or to slow to download let me know please

large

small

barry

Ron

Jan 12, 2004
Toronto, Canada
The thumbnails are a great touch! I also installed a script that will automatically resize linked images (you'll see dotted lines around images that have been affected). Clicking on these images will also open up a full size pic. The script to resize attached images is coming soon.

Great Fuso Barry!

Ron