Digital Navy Fuso

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
DN

As usual you are absolutely right the #3 gun definately would have to elevate to get round. I just built the base and the barrels which gives a good indication of how it all fits very tightly by the looks of it.

barry

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Copiague, Long Island, New York
Glad you got your power back so we can all enjoy watching this build, Barry. :D

She's really shaping up great, mate!

I gather the #3 turret is the one between the stack and that beautifully curved house you just built...rather odd way to mount some guns, it seems. Wonder why they decided to do it that way? :?

Keep up the superb work!

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Fuso turrets

Hi

Jim

#3 gun is mounted between the main tower and the funnel and it must have been a nightmare to train round, as Roman said it needs almost 20 degree elevation to pass the tower.

The picture shows the gun mounting and elevation assembly it is more positive than the one on Takao I never quite get the horizontal bearing to a true circle but this way the guns lock at any elevation, good one Roman.

Pity about the right hand gun it's a bit too cylindrical at the moment I will have to roll another. I shall wait until I have stopped using it as a handle to rotate the base and check the height of the vents etc.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Nice one Barry

The beast gets her teeth :D
The blast effect on the bridge must have made it wobble just a little bit, must have scared a few rookies into changing their shorts when they let rip :shock:

Great job, this is the part of a build I like most arming her up :D

More when you can me old mate :roll:

Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Now she's taking on the look of a warrior, Barry!

Not having built one with this type of gun set up, could you elaborate a little on what Roman's design does that the earlier builds did not have, Barry? Please?? :D

Looking great, mate...can never have too many pictures, you know.
Hint, hint... :lol:

Cheers!

Jim

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Fuso midships

Hi All

Jim

The bit I liked about the elevation arrangement is the simple strap between the barrels which you can easily adjust as in the photo.

The other photos show the bits the turret has to clear.

I could not resist building just one full gun, I should have done because I lost concentration and put the wrong rear top plate on the turret I will just regard it as a test build all the parts fit well.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

It does real, real look good 8)

When you think of all the guns on this beast, she was armed to the teeth :shock:

More soon I hope :roll:

Rob

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Fuso Turret ladder and anchor chain

Hi

Wanted a change so I tried soldering again and managed a passable 5 rung ladder in 29 swg wire you might be able to see it if you look hard between the barrels of "X" gun.

I also managed to rescue "Y" gun turret

Not being able to find any suitable anchor chain and being a tight tyke I decided to try making my own so here's a picture of my first try. I think it's Vivit's method take 2 pieces of thickish wire and wrap wire around the two to get an oval shape (in my case I used fuse wire) then cut down between the thick wire and drive yourself crazy joining them together with tweezers to make a chain. Mine is not brilliant but it was better than any of the odd "jewellery chains" lying round the house.

A slap of paint and from a distance it looks OK.

DN

Please have you a photo of the turret tops.

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

I like the idea of making your own chain, I will have to have a go at that :D
Look forward to more good ideas and photos :roll:
Keep at it mate

Rob

Maurice

Jan 16, 2004
Barry

They say that great minds think alike, and apparently ours do as well. I've just been playing with making chains in the same way.
A great build, thanks.

Cheers
Maurice

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Hi, Barry! :D

Bet you're happy to build some guns, huh? Outstanding work, mate.
Super idea on making chain, and it came out great!

I'd love to try it myself, but I fear every other link would end up flying across my work surface as I tried to maneuver them into some semblance of a mere appearance of something "chain-like". :lol:

Sure would like to see more photos if you can. :wink:

Cheers!

Jim

DN

Jun 12, 2004
New York
www.digitalnavy.com
Barry - you are manufacturing chain yourself :shock: Wow.
Jim - just in case you don't get this chain right, I buy nice, fine chain somewhere on 6th Ave bet. 37 -38th. Some place with embroidery - if I got the name right :eek:ops:

barry

Jan 28, 2004
Brighton Uk
Fuso Main Batteries

Hi

A couple of pics of the main batteries, the gun turrets fit extremely well as per usual DN style. The barrels are made from fairly thin paper.

3 more turrets to go and the rangefinders on top.

Occasionally it's good to add some bigger bits.

As Rob said a broadside would have rattled a few plates

barry

jrts

Mar 12, 2004
St Helehs, England
Hi Barry

WOW real looks great :D

I would not have liked my share of the mess bill for the smashed plates when she did let rip :shock:

As the saying goes MORE, MORE, MORE :roll:

Good stuff
Rob

Jim Krauzlis

Sep 26, 2005
Now THAT's what I'm talking about, Barry! :D

Great photos!

I think it is obvious that with a great kit by Roman, superb fitting, and your high skill in putting it all together, this build is simply outstanding! :shock:

Smashing job on the main guns, mate.

Keep those photos coming. :D

Cheers!

Jim