Digital Navy’s Oslabya

Discussion in 'Ship & Watercraft Models' started by Ajax, Aug 7, 2004.

1. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi BG

Well worth the wait, a cracker looking ship to be proud off 8)

Iam with Jim lets have that finger click a bit more :D

More when you can

2. DN

DN Member

Patrick, this looks nice :D
    Does it has some kind of clear coat already?
  3. busyguy

busyguy Member

Clear coat?

No, the model has no coating. The paper was printed on a color laser printer, which gave everything something of sheen to it, despite being standard card stock paper. No "flat" appearance at all.

Actually, I'm not to happy with the printing. It was too dark, and did not differentiate in color enough. To wit, my earlier comments/e-mails to you about not being able to see lines and details for scribing. Lately I have had much better luck using my Canon S-520 and photopaper. I've also taken to spraying it with clear coat before I start cutting and working with it.
  4. Ajax

Ajax Member

Your Oslabya's looking terrific, busyguy! Those turrets and the bridge structure turned out beautifully.

First rate work all around! :D

5. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

Hi to all from a neophyte:

I went thru all the thread of Oslabya project. BusyGuy's work is a work of love and art! I got a free download of a white Oslabya from a websitre I can no longer remember. I have no previous serious card-modeling experience (although plastic it is). I'd like to take a shot on this model (attempt inspired by BusyGuy). Before embarking on the project, I would appreciate information, please, on the following:

a) The graphic-parts are prepared in TIF(F) files, how does one print the parts to get the right scale size (does it mean setting up the page in A4 then "size to fit" it?
    b) Trial print of the keel/ribs parts (per the above) indicated a keel-length of 20 7/8" (56mm) and parts thickness of 2mm (for keel and ribs); are these correct?
    c) What paper thickness the deck/decking, superstructure, hull plating parts to be printed on?

Thanks to all.

Muhammad Farouk
  6. Renaud

Renaud Member

white Oslyabia

Here is the Russian site offering the download for free. Probably not so accurate as Roman's design. You can buy it too when ordering to

I don't know well which colour he was painted with durind the 1904-1905 war. For example, the Zessarewitsch, ordered from France, was painted all white by us, and repainted olive green soon after he entered Port Arthur, a little while before the outbreak of the war. Sure, the white appearance looks splendid, regarding this French ship, as its hull has an excessive tumblehome.
  7. busyguy

busyguy Member

Building Oslabya

Hmm, I don't know about the free model. I would expect that there would be some problems. I know that, being rather new to cardmodeling, I have had some questions about how to do things, or how parts should fit together. Roman's instructions have been very clear, especialy since you can zoom in for much greater detail. He's also been very helpful here in the forums, or in e-mails. That's a VERY hard combo to beat.
  8. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

I've contacted Roman but it's for another model. It's the Yamato which I am in the verge of placing the order. It didn't ask about the free d/l "white" Oslabya thinking that this may not be from his "yard".

I would appreciate if you could tell me the paper thicknesses use for the hull plating, deck and superstructure. I have indication for the keel thickness as well as the ribs judging from the width the slots.

9. DN

DN Member

Hi Guys
    The model you are talking about was probably designed by Dmitri Hotkin.
    I don't know much more about it.
  10. busyguy

busyguy Member

Ah, I used 1mm for the deck and standard cardstock (I guess about .2mm) for hull plating and superstucture.

Trying for Yamato! Wow, you have guts! I look on envy with the build of Fuso going on in another thread. That huge, towering bridge structure just amazes me. It takes someone with dedication, and better eyesight (and hand-eye coordination) than I have to tackle that. Oslabya is pretty close the limit of what I can manage. Dual carpal tunnel surgeries helped recover most of what I used to have, but I still don't feel like I have it all back sometimes. Modeling helps though, good therapy, and certainly not repetitive motion, unless, of course, you are into building armor, track link by track link

Pat Stapleton :D
  11. barry

barry Active Member

Hi Pat

Somehow I managed to miss the photographs they are brilliant as usual I envy your neatness.

The one good thing about rsi and arthritus is you can cut short straight lines freehand mainly because your fingers don't move.

More pics please.

If you take your time it's possible but I would advise you to try one Roman's freebies first.

12. Maurice

Maurice Member

Excellent build which I'm following closely. Thanks.

You mentioned Oslabya's colour scheme.
    There is a composite panoramic view (in flash graphic format) of the Russian Baltic Fleet passing Singapore in April 1905 (on it's way to Tsu Shima) at
    it seems to show Oslabya in her dark scheme.

can anyone offer me a reasonable English translation for "Oslabya". "Over illumination" is about the best the machines can come up with and that doesn't seem quite right for a battleship.

13. busyguy

busyguy Member

Thanks for the link, I had seen it before. Oddly enough, I was looking at it again just last night. Strange how coincidence occurs. As for Oslabya, I believe part of the problem is that the name was originally in Cyrilic alphabet, and that translate poorly to Roman alphabet. I have also seen it spelled Osliabya, Oslyabya, Oslabia and some others I can't quite remember. The name itself, according to comes from:
    Oslyabya- Name of a Russian prince who died in the Battle of Kulikovskaya in 1380

I don't know whether the name has any meaning beyond that, though it is true that most names have some meaning at their root.

Don't know if this will help, but here is a link to a program on this page

called igName 3.0 that says its supposed to list over 900 Russian names and their meanings. I did not try it, so I can't verify it's accuracy. I just found it using Google.

Good luck!

14. andrewthewise

andrewthewise Member

Hi Everybody,

Sorry about the 'slight' delay... but a bit earlier someone mentioned Dmitri Hotkin's Oslabya. I have built this model (see my album)... it was my third card model (after Roman's Ambrose and V108).
    It is "okay" - the fit in some places is a bit dodgy and the lack of instructions did pose some problems... but it is do-able.

On the other hand - am an currently working on Roman's Fuso - absolutely brilliant... Fits perfectly.

15. tausugAir

tausugAir Member

white oslabya

Hi to all,

Apology for the delayed reply!

Pat, thanks for the information on the paper thickness! I guess I can agree with you for having lot of "guts" in attempting a Yamato. But, I just yearn for the model since I got to know her from Reader's Digest book on WW2 published in 1961.

Barry, thanks for the advice on building one of Roman's freebie. I had take on that. I chose USS Admirable for now being a class for one of Philippine Navy's operational vessel(on which I took my naval training): PS29, RPS Negros Occidental'Negrense" (ex USN PCE 864, or 884-USS Admirable Class). I hope my uploading is correct so you can see a picture of the PhilNavy ship (RPS stands for Republic of the Philippine Ship).

Do you think recoloring is allowed to depict "Negrense"?

Again, thanks a lot. THIS IS really a great group!

16. Maurice

Maurice Member

Thanks for that, I can cope with the idea of a ship named for a Prince Oslabya. :D
    Perhaps I should have gone for a more diligent digestion of when I was there. :oops:

17. DN

DN Member

Ajax - what about your Oslabya :?:
  18. Ajax

Ajax Member

^ Sitting neglected, I'm afraid! :oops:

My interests always run in cycles, and I'm on a bit of a dirigible kick at the moment. And with busyguy's great build and updates, I hadn't felt any pressure to get back to puttering around with my Oslabya.

I'll eventually get back to warships though... I always do! :D

19. busyguy

busyguy Member

Ding dong the ship is done!

Actually, I finished it two weekends ago, but this is the first time I've had to actually take pictures and post. I wish I could get better shots that fit in to the 35k limitation. I reduce the camera as far as it will go in size and resolution, and I still have to crop the images. Sigh. Anyhow, I enjoyed building Oslabya, and am looking forward to the Oregon in the next year. In the meantime, here are some shots, taken before I sprayed with dullcote (just in case the spray messed something up).
  20. barry

barry Active Member

It looks splendid congratulations.

If you have some web space somewhere you can put a proper sized one up and give us link to get to it works quite well that way. Hint hint thanks for the pics.

If you shove the camera to its top setting on pixels stand a bit further back and crop the resulting pic it seems to work better.