digital cameras

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by jimnrose, Nov 5, 2001.

1. jimnrose

jimnrose Member

Shamus & Co.,
    I'm on the fence about goind digital especially when I don't take any film pictures. I was looking at the Olympus C-700 that Shamus had purchased and was very pleased with the results.
    I'm sure this is the camera for this hobby but my questions are related to the accessories. Other than a memory card and rechargeable batteries with charger what other "goodies" are required? Like:
    additional lenses?
    software to alter the images?
    photo grade printer; or can the data be sent to get hard copies without investing in printers and phot grade paper?
    Thanks again, Jim
  2. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

Digital Camerqs

After reading Shamus' reports, I, too, looked into a C-700. After consulting with my local photo dealer and checking specs, I decided to go with the Fuji Finepix 6900. I'm still learning how to play with all it's features; and I haven't found any digital yet that's really good for action shots (although part of that problem is just learning when to press the shutter). So far, I've gotten some nice pix (nothing of model rr's to post here, though) and others not so nice. As I said, I'm still learning.
  3. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Jim & Dave,
    I tried the Fuji Finepix along with the C-700 and was more impressed with the Olympus, it can do sports mode also.
    1 - As far as lens go, you cannot interchange with the Olympus
    2 - Software to alter the image, I use Paintshop pro 7, but with the C-700 comes software just as good.
    3 - Photo printers, my printer is an Epson 680 with a DPI of 2880 for top quality results.
    4 - Sending your photo's via email can also be done to various photo printers at a cost of 60p per print (UK). They then post them back to you.
    I have had my Olympus now for around 2 months and have been very pleased with all results.
    Shamus

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

4. Dave Flinn

Dave Flinn Member

5. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Gang,
    I should have mentioned that the Olympus C-700 has a 10X digital Zoom and Macro for close=up work. Macro gets down to 2".
    Here's a very close-up shot.

Shamus
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

6. jimnrose

jimnrose Member

Shamus,
    Unbelievable; both the optics and the workmanship. You must paint the objects under a magnified work lamp.
    On the digital camera, I'm sure the Olympic C-700 is the best camera, but I'm hesitating because I'de also need a good printer (mine is a Compaq A1000 - 1200dpi max). I also understand that photos printed on "photo grade paper" still fade after a year or longer; is that correct? Jim
  7. rockislandmike

rockislandmike Active Member

Hhhmmm......I've given this topic some thought myself. However, the decision's become easy enough based on money. I don't have much, so the last time what I tried is having the pics put directly onto CD-ROM where I have my pics developed.

I think it cost me $8CDN to put on a CD, and they turned out pretty kewl. I'm gonna do that from now on, and skip the second set of prints (or perhaps if possible avoid prints altogether).

Attached Files:

8. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Jim,
    No need to print all photo's out as they will be on your computer, I have had printed photo's for the last 6 years and the haven't faded yet.
    You can always send the photo you want printing via email straight from your computer and the company will print them and send them back by post to you.

cheers
    Shamus

[​IMG]
  9. jimnrose

jimnrose Member

Shamus, thanks again. I'll check out the cost for prints and then make the plunge if it's reasonable to get a few hard copies. I'll probabley stay with the 8mb card but pick up the battery charger and rechargeable batteries. Take care, Jim
  10. shamus

shamus Registered Member

11. jimnrose

jimnrose Member

Shamus,
    I finally made the plunge and ordered a C-700. Should get it in a week or so and when I find out how to upload the images, I'll send you guys a shot of my layout. Thanks, Jim
  12. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I, too, am going to have to go digital, mainly because of all the guys on here who have inspired me to take up model photography, & posting them on here.
    Like rockislandmike, I've relied on having a color processing lab develop my 35mm prints onto CD.
    The problem I have with this is that it's a 2 or 3 day wait to find out if the pics even turned out. In other words, it raises the ugly possibility of me spending up to 4 days, going through a middle man, & winding up, in the end, with an embarrassingly bad picture!
    While a digital camera may not be able to make a decent photographer out of me, it will at least let me eliminate the middle man, & the waiting period. If I take a lousy shot, I'll know it immediatly, & can possibly fix it.
    Now, if this reasoning will only work on my lovely spouse! ;)
    I've got a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks, so everybody keep their fingers crossed for me!
    Shamus, I'm leaning toward an Olympus, mainly on your recommendation. I really need that macro capability, with my tiny N scale layout. I've got an ad in my hand for an Olympus C-3000 ($500 US) Know anything about this one? Wadaya think?
  13. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

At the moment I still am using my old film camera. Digital is interesting but the prices for anything good are way more than my budget allows. I need to win a lottery first before I can buy one.
  14. shamus

shamus Registered Member

15. mike franks

mike franks New Member

Digital or not?

My wife just bought a Fuji Fine Pix, I used it one time to try it, it sure is alot better than the disposable cameras that I was buying. It features a 20 sec. video, zoom lens, and many others that I have not got to try. It's small enough to lay beside or on the track and make some good shots. Like DCC, It's the way to go.
  16. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

Congratulations on the camera, Mike!
    My wife got me one too, a couple of weeks ago.
    Now you have to start posting pictures, so we can see what you're up to!
    Here's a shot of my little N scale layout.

Attached Files:

17. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

After seeing what Shamus could do with his Olympus, I ordered one for me. I'm just learning how to use it, buy am VERY impressed with it.

By the way, check prices on the internet before you buy. I saved a couple of hundred dollars by ordering it on line.

Bill
  18. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi guys,
    For all of you who have the Olympus C-700 Ultra Zoom, here is something for you to try.
    Go into "Custom Settings" and set the f stop to f8 and the shutter speed to 1/30 sec. you will have to take the photo on a tripod, but the depth of field is amazing. Here's a shot I took today.

Shamus
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

19. shamus

shamus Registered Member

And here is another
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Last one shows the full width of 11 feet from front to back, taken at 2' from the bridge and focus set at front centre.
    Shamus
    [​IMG]

Attached Files: