dIGITAL CAMERA SUGGESTIONS

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by guppyman, Dec 18, 2001.

1. guppyman

guppyman Member

My mom will be receiving a nice digital camera for Christmas. I have been asked for advice on what to get, but my knowledge of digital cameras is basically nothing. I have borrowed a friend's Sony MVC-FD88 Mavica... I really like this camera. Other than that, I'm clueless.

She wants a cam that will put images on floppy. Is there a difference in saving to floppy or memory stick?

Basically- what I am looking for are some good quality camera recomendations.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.
  2. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi guppyman
    My advice is to get the best you can afford, mine is a Olympus C-700 Ultra Zoom, and takes excellent photo's using a 64 meg smart card to save on the camera, then I download from the camera onto the computer where I can then upload here in the gauge.
    Merry Xmas to you
    Shamus
    [​IMG]
  3. guppyman

guppyman Member

Luckily- I am not buying this... and price doesn't seem to be that great of concern to the purchaser. (I think he's in trouble or something ;-) )
  4. Bill Stone

Bill Stone Member

My vote too is for the Olympus C-700. After hearing of Shamus's experience with it, I bought one too.

One point against the Sony cameras which save to floppy: I thought that was an good way to go too, but while I was shopping around, a camera store guy told me why it was undesireable. The floppy storage is severely limited to 1.4 Mb. Okay for quicky snapshots at low resolution, but if one might ever want to take high-quality, high-resolution photos you'd be totally out of luck.

Even if you don't think you will want high resolution, it likely would be a mistake to so limit yourself.

Bill