Digital Camera Pictures for Backgrounds

Discussion in 'Photos & Videos' started by upguy, Oct 11, 2001.

1. upguy

upguy Oregon Western Lines, CEO

I don't know if anyone has done this here before, but I thought you might be interested in seeing the results of something I have been experimenting with....

Last week I took some scenery shots with my digital camera. All the pictures were shot from the same place, and at the same zoom setting. I attempted to get each picture to overlap the previous picture just a little, so that after I printed them on my computer printer I could tape them together to form a background for my layout (and photos). Some of the seams show and there is some variation in the picture quality; but, overall, I think that the idea may be worth additional study.

I should note that my computer printer did not get a very true representation of the scene because the yellow tint did not work like it should. I may need a new cartridge, but I think you will get the idea.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. wiskrbiscu

wiskrbiscu New Member

Did you by chance use a tripod when you snapped those pictures? Sometimes even the slightes twitch can cause the quality of a digital pic to be off.

Jody :D
  3. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

piccies

UPguy,

The photo tool i use has a "stitch" function with it, which will computer match the two edges of pics like that and overlap them according to you requirments (1/8" 1/2" etc).

Looks kewl. Did you enlarge the pics to print the backdrop?
  4. upguy

No tripod, and I am not computer literate enough to stitch pictures together using software for that purpose. The pictures were just printed without altering the size. I attempted to use the zoom function of my digital camera to get a picture that would be useful for my purposes. Help with some of the computer "tricks" to improve my picture images would be appreciated. I've got more pictures that I haven't patched together yet.
  5. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

It looks pretty good. I've been meaning to take some pictures of a location here in town for that very reason, but I haven't gotten around to doing it...among other things!

-Rory
  6. upguy

Here is another picture of the Union Railroad of Oregon car with a better background picture.

Attached Files:

7. upguy

This is a wider angle of the Union, Oregon, area of the layout. The shelf is only about 1 foot wide at this point.

Attached Files:

8. upguy

Here's another angle of the same area (Union, OR).

Attached Files:

9. billk

billk Active Member

What's those critters in the background - cattle or buffalo or beefalo? -- Bill K
  10. upguy

Just cattle.
  11. upguy

Here is another picture using the digital camera to produce backdrop pictures.

Attached Files:

12. upguy

Here is another picture that I took after overlaying a cut-out picture of the truck shop. The new addition is right behind the orange boxcar near the back of the module. This is the same (white) building that you can see just above and to the left of the existing model in the previous photo. This picture was taken from closer to the building, from a lower level, and from a more "straight on" perspective.

Attached Files:

13. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Back scenes

I also like playing around with my digital camera and using it for background scenes. Here's the same photo twice with different backscenes.
    shamus
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  14. roryglasgow

roryglasgow Active Member

Shamus, it's amazing how changing one element like that completely changes the mood of the scene.

Great work on the background, upguy! It looks even more like part of the layout!

-Rory
  15. upguy

Woodie,

What program do you use that incorporates the "stitch" capabilities? Will it also print a banner of the finished item on continuous feed paper? I can't seem to figure out how to do any of this with the programs that I have. :(
  16. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

Stitch function

UPguy,

I used Ulead I-Photo Plus, and on the "edit" button, it has a "stitch" function (sort like "paste") however it gives you "overlap" parms and then pastes accordingly and tries to match the pic as best as it can. If you wanna send me your pics, I'll see what I can do with them.

Yes, it will print out the pics, but my printer don't have continuous feed paper support, so would just have to stick the A4 pages together.
  17. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

The first pic

The first pic

Attached Files:

18. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

The Second Pic

The second pic

Attached Files:

19. Woodie

Woodie Active Member

The "stitch"

The "stitch" pic. Notice the "transparent" overlap part. It allows me to set the "overlap" measurement.

Attached Files:

20. upguy

Woodie,

Thanks for the prompt response! The problem remains...without a continuous feed (banner) printout, I'm still splicing pages together. :( I'm just as well off to print my photos and paste them together by hand since I would have to do it anyway in the final step whichever way I go. I appreciate your offer to help though. If you would like, I could send you some of my pictures anyway just for the chance to experiment. If you are modeling the Australian Outback, I'm not sure that my Eastern Oregon photos would be appropriate--but what the heck! Let me know.