Different shades of CP SD40-2's

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
I mixed the paint just a bit different for each one of these. I wanted to try to make them all look a bit differnet from each other, but I don't think it is very noticable. I'll decal them and see what they look like after that.

24.jpg

Mike.

Arlaghan

Sep 9, 2003
S. FL
They look slightly different... well, the one in the middle does anyway... besides, I think you achieved the effect that they were "supposed" to be painted the same but never are... when you weather them, it might make even more of a difference.

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
I would guess that CP has colour codes that manufacturers have to use but just leave them in the sun for a while and I am sure fading does make locos look slightly different.
It will be intersting to see your locos with decaling Mike

OwenCPR

Dec 23, 2003
Okotoks, Calgary AB Canada
Visit site
Mike,

Do you know when CP started using ditch lights on its locos? I'd like to start building up a few SD40s (the originals from 1967 in the Tuscan of course) but also like to have ditch lights operating (have to take advantage of some of the other functions of the DCC decoders!). May have to take some licence and pretend that they had them back in the late 60s!

Owen

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
If I recall...

Originally posted by OwenCPR
Do you know when CP started using ditch lights on its locos?Owen

Canadian railroads used ditch lights right from the beginning of the deisel era... I've seen many Canadian F-units with ditch lights, so SD40-2's would have them for sure...

The railroads in the U.S.A. didn't start to use ditch lights until much later...

SD90

May 23, 2003
Canada
Visit site
Sorry I didn't get back to you Owen, I don't know exactly when they started using ditch lights, but I know they have been around as long as I can remember!

Mike.

hemiadda2d

Jun 15, 2003
Cheyenne, WY
www.railimages.com
I dunno about Canada, but FRA required auxillary lights (ditch lights) deadline of 1994-95.

The following in a clip from an email from Al Krug, a hogger for BNSF in Sheridan, WY:
"In the 1980s the BN started replacing the yellow bubblegum flashers on
the cab roof with deck mounted strobe lights on the front of their
locos. But I don't think many SD40-2s got them. Mostly the LMX 8500s and
BN GP40s, 50s. The ditchlights replaced the strobe lights on those that
had them but the strobes met the FRA requirement for "ditchlights" (the
FRA does not call them ditchlights, that is a Canadian term, the FRA
calls them auxilliary lights) so the strobes lasted on some units a few
years after the 1994-95 FRA deadline for ditchlights. I believe the
first SD70MACs in 1994 were the first units built with ditchlights."
Maybe that will help!

OwenCPR

Dec 23, 2003
Visit site
Ok, now I'm confused (which is easily done!)

I have the CP Anthology of photographs by Nicholas Morant which shows the early SD40s in Tuscan colours but with no ditch lights, and the later SD40s and 40-2s in more modern Action Red with Ditch lights. Also I've not seen any F units in the earlier period with lights.

Hence the following questions:

1. Do the Kato SD40s (not the 40-2s) in action red have such lights or would I have to install them separately (as well as painting them the early tuscan colours)?

2. Does anyone have any pics of the F units with Ditch lights for reference purposes?

Thanks

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Me and my big mouth....

I was surfing through the Canadian Pacific Railway Locomotive Roster and Photo Archives and realized that the ditch lights didn't start to appear on the F-Units until the late 70's.

So as I ponder this further, I think that Canadian National started using ditch lights first and Canadian Pacific followed. Then the U.S. railroads after that....

I also think that the regular duties of a locomotive help to determine the installation of ditch lights.

I think that road engines get them, but yard engines don't....

Canadian Pacific 4616 SD-40 with ditch lights

Canadian Pacific 4602 SD-40 without ditch lights

Canadian Pacific SD-40's 5400-5414 all have ditch lights, but the photos are all from the 80's and 90's...

Canadian Pacific 5500 shows 3 pictures, dated 1975, '86, '96 and '97... 1975 doesn't have ditch lights, but the rest of the pictures show them....

So it looks like ditch lights started being used in the late 70's and early 80's...

For F-Units with and without ditch lights look here...

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Owen:
I've just gone through a pile of picture books (Canadian Pacific in the Rockies and associates) and as best I can tell, CP started adding ditch lights in 1977. There are early 1977 pix without and late 1977 pix with. (of course, you can't be sure as it may have taken years to modify the whole fleet.)
I can't find a pic of an F unit with ditch lights.
I can't find a pic of a grey & maroon diesel with ditch lights.
I have pictures of red hood units without ditch lights.

OwenCPR

Dec 23, 2003
Visit site
Thanks David

Have decided to remain faithful to the proto and not install ditch lights - still, it seems a shame to not utilise all of the extra functions of the 3rd generation decoders!!!! Am not about to switch eras though....still like the Tuscan colours too much!