Diesel, Steam, or Electric? (or Other???)

Diesel, Steam, Electric, or Other?

• Diesel

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Steam

• Electic

• Handcart

• Other

• Total voters

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Forgive me if this has been done before but I'm curious to see how things spread out in here as far as Diesel, Steam, and Electric goes. I already know HO and N are the dominant gauges just by looking through the forum and it seems like diesels are the dominant engines but it isn't quite as obvious.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
All three for me. :D

I model railroading in the Tri-State Area of NY, NJ and CT.. For earlier-era operating sessions I got my NYC steam locomotives such as the J1e Hudson 4-6-4. For more modern operating sessions I got a real unique locomotive in the works being kitbashed right now-- The dual-mode GE P32AC-DM. It's a passenger diesel locomotive that can also run on 3rd-rail electric power, used by Amtrak and Metro North/ConnDOT. In the future I'm thinking of kitbashing more third-rail dual-mode-capable locomotives, such as the FL9 used by New Haven/Amtrak/MNRR/ConnDOT, and the DM30AC used by the Long Island Railroad.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
And if we happen to model the transition era or have multiple layouts with different prototypes?

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Steam is all I have, which ain't saying much...I only have 1 engine (0-8-0)
But recently I've been eyeing some F-units

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Nazgul said:
Steam is all I have, which ain't saying much...I only have 1 engine (0-8-0)
But recently I've been eyeing some F-units

Don't give in to the Dark Side...!

I have all steam. Well, all except one oil-electric doodlebug, and a Mack Railbus with one of them thar infernal combustion engines... ;).

Andrew

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
LongIslandTom said:
All three for me. :D

I model railroading in the Tri-State Area of NY, NJ and CT.. For earlier-era operating sessions I got my NYC steam locomotives such as the J1e Hudson 4-6-4. For more modern operating sessions I got a real unique locomotive in the works being kitbashed right now-- The dual-mode GE P32AC-DM. It's a passenger diesel locomotive that can also run on 3rd-rail electric power, used by Amtrak and Metro North/ConnDOT. In the future I'm thinking of kitbashing more third-rail dual-mode-capable locomotives, such as the FL9 used by New Haven/Amtrak/MNRR/ConnDOT, and the DM30AC used by the Long Island Railroad.

you can grab one of IHP's FL9s.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
electrics are far superior.

maybe its because i grew up with the NEC , but i still think the electrics are awesome. i have enough electric locomotives to more than justify catenary for my layout when i get to that stage.

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
green_elite_cab said:
you can grab one of IHP's FL9s.
I was tempted, but knowing IHP they will probably charge an arm and a leg plus your first-born! :eek: I think I'll go with the kitbashing route for now, since I do have lots of junk parts available appropriate for the project.

Sometimes I wonder if it might be easier to just look for a brass model (which would only cost a bit more than the IHP model).

Speaking of IHP, when can we see a GP40FH-2 running on your layout? :D

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
LongIslandTom said:
I was tempted, but knowing IHP they will probably charge an arm and a leg plus your first-born! :eek:

Sometimes I wonder if it might be easier to just look for a brass model (which would only cost a bit more than the IHP model).

Speaking of IHP, when can we see a GP40FH-2 running on your layout? :D

nah, the last time i looked, the IHP FL9 was still kinda costly ( i think it said $259 or similar), but it wasn't THAT much more. I did find a conrail (yellow nosed) Brass FL9 (there were some others as well), but i can't remember exactly how much it was. the first number that comes to mind is $400 something, but i still think that may have been lower than the actual price.

i'm fairly positive IHP is still cheaper.

as far as the GP40FH-2 goes, its kinda tough. I probably should grab the shell now (or atleast wait until after christmas) paint it and decal it then play with it later.

The main problem i have is that i'd need to buy GP style locomotive to power it, and i don't feel justified buying a brand new locomotive to take it apart and switch it around. I might use my current athearn GP38-2's chassis, but that would just make me short of my only good GP switcher. not to mention i am quickly running out of shelf space for any more equipment.

I'm kinda surprised you don't have their F10... or do you? the shell is only $75 ( yeah, i know, ONLY, lol) I have a spare F-unit drive. I was almost thinking about it just for soemthign fun to do.

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
Brian Schmidt said:
And if we happen to model the transition era or have multiple layouts with different prototypes?
LoudMusic said:
Depends on if you're asking "What do you have most of?" or "What do you enjoy more?" ;)

My question is really based on what you enjoy running the most and/or what you run most often. If you've got 3 dozen diesels in your collection but enjoy running your one or two steamers the most, you're obviously hooked on those for a reason.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Diesel for me too, I just love seeing those huge locos all linned up pulling a LONG train, I also like steam to but don;t model it. My grandfather loves steam and has tons of steam engines.

I onlt have 6 diesel engines so far but plan on getting many many more in the future.
  1. BNSF Dash 8-40B
  2. UP AC4400
  3. CNW C44-9W (Dash 9) x 3
  4. SP C44-9W (Dash 9)

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Diesel, HANDS DOWN for me, 53 of 'em:thumb:. though i DO like steam too!;), but only have 5 of 'em:D. :D -Deano

N

nachoman

well, i am a narrow gauger. And while the prospect of kitbashing sone narrow gauge diesels intrigues me, right now I stand at 3 steam, 2 diesel (boxcabs).

kevin