Diesel loco of the week 8-20/26-06

L

lester perry

C&o

I think I have posted this before somewhere, but it all I have right now.

103117594.jpg

Les

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Russ Bellinis said:
I think that one is a Sd45. The Sd40 & Sd40-2 didn't have the flared radiators.

Russ, you're getting closer, but I believe that that's an SDP-45: the extra length behind the radiator fans was for steam generator equipment.
I don't have a photo to post in this thread: the only SD-40 that I had was an Athearn SDP-40, and it was sold many years ago.

Wayne

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
doctorwayne said:
Russ, you're getting closer, but I believe that that's an SDP-45: the extra length behind the radiator fans was for steam generator equipment. Wayne
Wayne IS 100% correct!:thumb: :D . that engine IS an SPD-45, they were intended for passenger service;). :D -Deano

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
As I recall, and don't hesitate to correct me, EL ordered these units because the space used for the water tanks for the steam generators could instead be used for extra large fuel tanks, enabling these locos to run their system end to end without stopping for fuel. I love these in EL colors, almost bought one just because I like them so much, but managed to hold off on that urge. Don't care for it it Conrail, particularly unweathered, but that's what the customer wanted. Painted by Blake Tatar, btw.

C

Catt

Gary,got a clue as to who made the brass SDP45? The EL units did not have steam equiptment so the had a standard V'd long hood end and a 5,000 gallon fuel tank.They were indeed bought to make the trip to Chicago nonstop.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
thanks for the correction sguys. I thought that one looked a little strange for a sd45, but I didn't know of the existance of the sdp45 and the only other locomotive of that vintage that had the flared radiators that I knew of is the gp40x.

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
This was err.... almost a model:

Photo ID: 94591

Someone at Pacific Western Rail Systems wanted to use it on their webpage to illustrate a model they were doing but we could never agree on a price so it never happened. Ah well.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi Catt, I had to wait till I could ask Blake, the model shown is from Oriental. I'd like to mention that it ran very nicely, not quite as well as Atlas stuff, but as well as say broken in Blue Box. Blake mentioned he later did another Oriental for the same customer in EL, but had to deliver it before getting a chance to get photos. Too bad.