Did something happen here?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Lounge' started by davelant, Sep 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davelant

davelant Member

2. Red

Red Member

I think what is causing the decline is that people can no longer find links here for what they are looking for they are told to go back to a search engine and
    type a word or phrase and that does not all ways work from what I found out. so they come here less and less
    Plus some of the people that brought others in and kept them have been band for complaining. I know that the people in charge are trying to make the forum do better. but as i have ben told "Money is like fertilizer the lawn wont grow unless you spread it around."
    but this is Only My Opinion
  3. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

4. wccrawford

wccrawford Novice Papercrafter

I watch the RSS feed and there's about 1/20th the stuff here that there used to be. I'm sure that has a -lot- to do with it.
  5. jparenti

jparenti Member

I think it's a shame that a lot of my friends and valued builders have disappeared. I frequent the real spacecraft section, and after months there are... what? Two new posts?
    Don't mention it. Seriously. It's a short path to a ban.
  6. Padre

Padre Member

The administration has changed:thumb:, do not worry about being banned so much anymore. Ekuth is working hard to make the site better (Yes we can). One thing that does need to return is the old POTW page for direct log in, the current page and then click on New Posts does not encourage returns visits.
  7. silveroxide

silveroxide Well-Known Member

I agree with Padre on the POTW. While I am flattered that my Tumbler has been on the front page for over a month, it is time for some new influx and give someone else publicity and acknowledgment.
  8. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Unfortunately, I'm not sure that's something I have access to, but I'll check it out and if not, I'll see if the higher ups can get that back, or at least refresh the pics.

But yeah, I like the page look, like over at http://www.papermodelers.com/.
    I always thought that papermodelers had a good clean look.
  9. jparenti

jparenti Member

I was not aware the administration had changed. The last time I was here, the mere mention of papermodelers.com was reason to be banned.
    I'm glad to see that things are coming around. I was worried that I wasn't going to be able to post here again. I'm glad to see I can return now! :D
  10. Bhelliom

Bhelliom Member

I hate to say it, but it looks like the situation is reversing itself. At papermodelers, it's beginning to feel like it did here during the Shark's tenure. That is, they seem to be on the verge of banning people for talking about Zealot. They've already locked a thread for talking about here too much...:curse: So much for the open, friendly place PM was supposed to be :cry:. Hopefully the current situation (and/or attitude) there is only temporary.

Thanks to all the new members who continue to join, and also to the original members from here who have remained open-minded enough to continue supporting BOTH forums. :thumb: You can never have too many places to read and talk about paper/card models, just like you can never have too many paper models!

Scott K.
  11. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

Bhelliom, the admins and moderators there want a pleasant place for newcomers and members both, and stirring the pot regarding the fiasco earlier this year won't help that. It would be better for everyone I think if this *particular* topic were left to cool for a few more months, both here and there. I'm not suggesting draconian behavior on the part of the staff and members here or there, I just want things to return to normal, and reminding us of that debacle is counter-productive.
  12. jacberk

jacberk Old Fart - New Member

Well Said MF. I joined here and there within a month, but spent most of my time at papermodelers because of the freer atmosphere there. It'll take many months for feelings, tempers, & attitudes to cool down, forget, & forgive, and rebuild. Ekuth has made a great start, but only time will tell if the people, threads, builds, & good times return. I certainly hope so. Rehashing the past or pointing fingers won't help, but working together will.

Sorry for the soapbox speech. Just my 2 cents.

13. N Gauger

N Gauger 1:20.3 Train Addict

You have to look at the history of Zealot all unto itself to completely understand the logic behind the locking...

The railroad side left here on good terms, not so, with a few papermodelers. When we go to another forum no matter where, you always see some good and bad points about any and all boards.

Opinions are free and in quantity :D

The most likely reason it was locked, was because it was a sort of attack on another board. Yes, I've seen a few about almost every board out there - railroad and paper modeling.. There's nothing anyone can do about it except to have the staff lock and/or delete the threads or posts...

Everyone that left here has "something" to say about their experiences here: good and bad..

Ekuth is trying to cover the bad cake, with good icing and good intentions....

My "personal opinion" is -- Didn't they move somewhere to kind of forget this board???? So why let members re-hash the old stuff??? - especially if it's negative... Remember - I was an Admin here on the railroad side for almost 4 years....... :D :D :D
  14. whiteknight06604

whiteknight06604 New Member

looks like I missed alot of stuff,I need to pay more attention.
  15. Retired_for_now

Retired_for_now New Guy

It's ALIVE!

Always room for one more (how many dimensions are there in cyberspace?)!

Zealot has a deep well of build threads and downloads - and is picking up steam again. Not sure on the "crowdgather" concept, but it does provide a lot of variety to spark ideas, as well as keeping the focus areas available.

Uploading to the downloads section does take some time (yes, I'm behind here as well) if you drop things to multiple fora. Personally, I try to drop spacecraft designs to the Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center (or actual mission sites) first since there's nothing to slow down dissemination (account creation, etc.). I try to post them on the forums partly as "pay back" for the information and enjoyment I get from seeing everyones' work (and pilfering good ideas from my betters).

16. Tabris

Tabris New Member

It may be lack of propaganda. I found that site only out of luck.
  17. shotgun219

shotgun219 New Member

I agree that this site does seem to be much better, and I'm glad there's a new administration. Now, Papaemodelers is just like this site used to be :(
  18. Zathros

Zathros Guest

I never saw that chart before. Very interesting. I have to a similar, but different view on one issue. Ekuth has worked very hard to make this forum shine again, and the members, that wanted the forum to be the way it is, are the ones doing it. Many people here belong to many forums and have friends are many forums. This world is big enough for many forums. This is ZEALOT though, and many people got their start here. Those that carry a grudge do not seem to understand all the events, and frankly, that's their problem. We're better off without people with 'tudes.

I like the people here. They are familiar. They are here because they want to be. It would be easier to post at just one forum and not be bothered. So again, Ekuth laid a great foundation, and the members, who want a civilized atmosphere create it, every day. That seems good to me. :)
  19. bf109

bf109 Member

lately i find myself being more here than there, probably of a ban that somebody got :)
    come to think of it i was banned here when this thread got started :)
    but the new administratiion put a lot of wrongs to the way they where, thanks ekuth
  20. Szdfan

Szdfan Member

As a newbie in this community, I'm wondering about the politics that's being referred to. I know from experience that hobby politics can get really nasty. But is it really possible to get banned from a board for merely mentioning another forum's name?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.